Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge

Old Sep 25th 2017, 4:23 pm   #1
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default DNA

Whilst so many are furiously debating the question of immigrants,ethnicity,closing borders. OH and I decided we would do the DNA Test..
Ours was a bit pricey being in that out of the way place called Portugal (some seem to think its outer mongolia) and it has taken awhile (two months ) ..Today the results were returned from Houston....

Soooo what am I? weeelll

I am 41% English
35% Irish,Scottish ,Welsh
15% North Western European
8.0% Scandanavian

Heh I was already a European and didn't know it

Have any of you done it? Was it a surprise ? OH discovered he was 85% English and 15% Scandinavian.He had been convinced he had Iberian blood... Very disappointed .
GeniB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:29 pm   #2
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DNA

I keep meaning to try to find out more about this topic. (Certainly before I spend any money.) Definitions etc. What do they mean by English, Welsh, etc. Sounds like a bit of a minefield ...
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:12 pm   #3
Fair and balanced
Premium Member

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

As an Englishman I was amused if not surprised to find out I was less then 1% English.
I am according to them 86% Irish, which does match expectations.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:58 pm   #4
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

There was a recent episode where they had DNA tests done on three individuals, the results were in one way what was to be expected, but in another way very much not. The three were triplets, and their DNA was, surprise, surprise a match, BUT the ethnicity test found totally different ethnicities for each of them.
mikelincs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:21 pm   #5
Shard Male
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Good post! I've always wanted to do this kind of test, just for fun as the results are said to be not totally reliable. Would also like to do a genome map for healthcare purposes.

Out of curiosity, did your test report on how much Neanderthal DNA you carry?
Shard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:27 pm   #6
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
There was a recent episode where they had DNA tests done on three individuals, the results were in one way what was to be expected, but in another way very much not. The three were triplets, and their DNA was, surprise, surprise a match, BUT the ethnicity test found totally different ethnicities for each of them.
Yes that's the bit I am vague on .My elder brother took the Harvard based test some yrs ago and they came up with Indian and african markers.. I would've expected the african ,as we all supposed to have those ..but Indian? I am assuming my test wasn't such an in depth one, as it didn't come up on mine.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:33 pm   #7
Shard Male
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Yes that's the bit I am vague on .My elder brother took the Harvard based test some yrs ago and they came up with Indian and african markers.. I would've expected the african ,as we all supposed to have those ..but Indian? I am assuming my test wasn't such an in depth one, as it didn't come up on mine.
There is a lot of interpretation in these tests. Your markers should be the same, but the conclusions that the companies draw can be very different. Certainly correct that we're all originally African though!
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:36 pm   #8
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Good post! I've always wanted to do this kind of test, just for fun as the results are said to be not totally reliable. Would also like to do a genome map for healthcare purposes.

Out of curiosity, did your test report on how much Neanderthal DNA you carry?

No but I assume its in there if we go far enough back. The one I found fascinating was the prog on the BBC (way back ),when they traced a family right back in time through testing all the villagers in the village they lived in against a body they had found in a bog .I mean centuries.Core families had never moved away from the area.(are we talking incest here ) Several were related to the man in the bog--but he was found to be not of British origin !!.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:40 pm   #9
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
As an Englishman I was amused if not surprised to find out I was less then 1% English.
Plus the Irish markers purportedly contain a very high percentage of Iberian markers .Relies maybe fell off the Armada
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:52 pm   #10
Fair and balanced
Premium Member

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Plus the Irish markers purportedly contain a very high percentage of Iberian markers .Relies maybe fell off the Armada
The Irish are thought to have moved up from Spain rather than more Central Western Europe via Great Britain, at least I seem to remember reading that a year or so ago.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:53 pm   #11
Shard Male
F.orum Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I keep thinking you're Korean!
Old Sep 26th 2017, 2:10 am   #12
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by African or Indian markers, do you mean Y-DNA and MtDna that is specific to Africa and the subcontinent? DNA ancestry tests don't show any African "markers" from way back when humans originated in Africa.
Boomhauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 2:34 pm   #13
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I did one of those not long ago as well. My results were:

Great Britain: 71%
Ireland: 22%
(Not surprising, and there is an overlap between the two regions as well - Scotland appears in both and both my mother and father's family lines are Scottish).

Then my low confidence regions are:
Europe West: 4%
Scandinavia: 1%
European Jewish: 1%
Caucasus: 1% (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey)

I also have a genetic community: Scots in central Scotland and Ulster, Ireland.

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 2:36 pm   #14
Forum Regular

dougal03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kimilseung I have only done my family tree but on the website you interact with loads of others from all over.One Irish person knew they had Spanish ancestry at one point but thought it was because after the Spanish fleet was foiled their ships took off & sailed into the Irish sea & some of them made land in Ireland & settled.Of course it is just a theory but who knows.
dougal03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 3:18 pm   #15
Shard Male
F.orum Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I did one of those not long ago as well. My results were:

Great Britain: 71%
Ireland: 22%
(Not surprising, and there is an overlap between the two regions as well - Scotland appears in both and both my mother and father's family lines are Scottish).

Then my low confidence regions are:
Europe West: 4%
Scandinavia: 1%
European Jewish: 1%
Caucasus: 1% (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey)

I also have a genetic community: Scots in central Scotland and Ulster, Ireland.
Which company did you use?

Do they ask any self reported questions prior to providing the results i.e. where do you consider yourself from? Or is it a blind test.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge