Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge

Old Dec 7th 2017, 10:32 pm   #1
Bob Male
Not so super superslob
Super Moderator

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Christmas Plans?

So what are you lot getting up to?

Heading back to the UK with family? Staying put? Going somewhere fun?

Our kids have school till that Friday, so not getting off early, as they have a school carol thingy job, so can't really miss it. Heading up to Maine, to hang with the missus family for a couple of days, probably coming back on Boxing day.

So quite boring, here.

Immigrants should be tarred and feathered....Yes, I like it kinky.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:59 am   #2
Super Moderator

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Plans?

We will be spending Christmas and NY in Downtown Toronto. It’s actually quite nice...with lots going on where we live. Christmas is for children and our 3 year old granddaughter is especially looking forward to Christmas this year. We did the tree last weekend and she is now very excited about the Elf on the Shelf.

Please contact me here if you have any site related problems.
Jerseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th 2017, 2:50 pm   #3
**** the FCC

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

As it has been every year for the twelve years I have lived here, we will be having everyone round to our house on Christmas Eve for dinner. After dinner we (mostly the kids) open the presents we got for each other and everyone usually buggers off by about 7 or 8.

Christmas Day itself, then, is just the four of us and we have a nice, relaxing day in front of the TV eating leftovers from the night before, and maybe some Chinese if I can be arsed driving out to pick it up. This year, I get a bonus day off on the 26th, which I haven't done for a few years but daycare is closed so needs must and all that.

The period between Thanksgiving and the new year is, has always been, and always will be my favourite time of the year though.

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th 2017, 7:21 pm   #4
Cup of tea, Father?
Premium Member

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

The children finish school on the 15th, but we're both working until the 22nd. Christmas will be just the four of us at home. Miss Moo has requested a roast dinner this year, so I guess I'll be doing that. Boxing day will be spent in front of the cricket. And then at some point before we go back to work on the 8th, we'll head off somewhere for some camping for a few days. The children want to go to Dubbo (to go to the zoo there, which is quite a cool place. It's huge, so you have to cycle around it), but it's five hours away, so a bit of a trek; we'll see ... The tree is going up this weekend, so Christmas is officially on the way.

"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." Voltaire
Geordie George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th 2017, 10:08 pm   #5
Dreamy Female
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

It's Middlechild's birthday on Christmas Eve. He has requested his usual dinner of bangers, mash and onion gravy served in a giant Yorkshire pudding, so, despite the searing temperatures*, that is what I shall be cooking.

Christmas Day, apart from the first year we were in Australia and decided it would be fun to go to the beach**, has always just been the 5 of us, at home, in magnificent solitude.

Bacon butties and Buck's Fizz (only 2 of us like the latter, so that's a great start to the day ) for breakfast, full Christmas Dinner at 2pm, Christmas pudding at supper time.

While I'm preparing Christmas Dinner, the 4 males in the house get all competitive and tantrumy over a carefully selected board game. Obviously, I could join in with said board game, but the lure of peeling vegetables is irresistible. (Plus I only want to play games that I know I'm going to win, like Trivial Pursuit, but I'm banned from any kind of knowledge based competitions)

Mahoosive Boxing Day Buffet that should last us through to close to New Year's Eve. Last year, I'd had surgery on the 22nd December, so the boys did the Cooking Of The Buffet. I've tried to suggest that a precedent has been set but they're not having any of it. 'Perhaps if you break your leg before the day', suggested Eldest.

*The last 5 or 6 years, it has been relatively cool and wet during Christmas, I'm not known as the Rain Goddess for nothing.
** Eldest managed to get sunstroke, despite being sat in the UV protective tent the whole afternoon. A 'friends and family' game of beach cricket was taken over by a horde of beachgoers and almost caused an international incident. The event was never repeated (mostly because we made the sensible decision to move 90km inland and to another state so we were never tempted by 'Christmas on the Beach' again)
Dreamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th 2017, 7:41 am   #6
~~*Checksum*~~

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas Eve will be spent with friends for dinner and drinks out, before I go to my sons around 9pm for the serious business of drinking baileys or whisky whilst wrapping the last few gifts.

Christmas Day will start with bloody mary's, followed by bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon (with another bloody mary), leading to the opening of the stockings... yes, my son may be in his 30's, but he still has fun opening one! After that, we'll indulge in some coffee (with a snifter on the side) whilst opening our main gifts from under the tree. The afternoon is spent enjoying said gifts and probably playing a game or two on the PS4 together.

I'll cook Christmas dinner which we'll eat around 7pm, then we'll relax with a glass or two of something whilst watching a film.

Boxing day, I'll go back to my house for bloody mary's, bagels, coffee etc., then off to my step daughters for drinks, then back to my house to open gifts and cook a full Christmas dinner, except this time to share with friends.

http://www.suzisukarma.com/gallery.html .. Share the moments - share the memories - share the love!
Siouxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th 2017, 11:00 am   #7
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Children arrive week before.

Average 1 party per day till 25th,

Full christmas lunch, local turkey and ham, heston hidden orange pud, 1 brussel sprout, much rum punch, served on a local beach to about 30 of us. Then i think 2 parties later in the day.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 2:15 pm   #8
Super Moderator

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

M&S Christmas Pudding. Check

M&S Mince Pies. Check

M&S Christmas Cake. Check

Thornton’s Continental Chocs. Check

Christmas plans coming along nicely.

Please contact me here if you have any site related problems.
Jerseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th 2017, 2:30 pm   #9
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas is cancelled for us, we move home on the 22nd, so not much time to settle in and get sorted, will manage some sort of Christmas dinner, but no tree or trimmings etc.
mikelincs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th 2017, 4:25 pm   #10
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I fly back to Portugal on Wednesday.
Three days booked into a nice hotel in Olhão, good food and shopping.
Drive up to the Alentejo on Saturday and take it from there.
Christmas Eve we have an invite to Castro Verde, for Consoada with Portuguese friends.
Christmas Day we have lunch with expat friends.
St.Stephen's day (26th), I'll forego the pleasure of early rising to Hunt the Wren (can just imagine the Portuguese neighbours faces!) - day to relax methinks.
No other plans, but things will happen.... they always do.
Back to England in mid-January for medical tests ()

Nollaig shona dhaoibh!
Old Dec 10th 2017, 6:22 am   #11
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

We were flying out to the San Juan islands to be with ED and partner whilst she awaits the birth of her first child ( due Dec 23rd.) However with the uncertainty surrounding where she will actually be (she has to go to the mainland for the actual birth) It was reluctantly decided that we would stay here in Portugal and fly out on Jan 19th for a month. Baby will def be here by then and we can be of more practical use
So for the first time ever it will be just the three of us for Christmas. No parties organised,no visitors. and I can say I am really looking forward to actually participated in the fun bits.. Instead of being locked in the kitchen cooking.
We will ditch the b****y Turkey for a start (Yeah) It will be beef wellington with roasties and parsnips. LOTS of trashy and some not so TV. and maybe a couple of board games
Walks on the beach with the dog. A donation to our lovely little church, for their work with the homeless.We don't attend, being heathens but they do a magnificent job at this time of year.
I will be slipping in an extra offering to the gods for the safe return of my lovely OH from the brink this week.
Last year we went to Lisbon for New year and vowed we would do it again this year. Funds and circumstances now don't allow so we will go into Lagos to view the fireworks from the beach. Probable take the dog as she loves them
whatever you are doing ,have a lovely christmas and a happy new year GeniB x

Last edited by GeniB; Dec 10th 2017 at 6:25 am.
GeniB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th 2017, 2:21 pm   #12
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I fly back to Portugal on Wednesday.
Three days booked into a nice hotel in Olhão, good food and shopping.
Drive up to the Alentejo on Saturday and take it from there.
Christmas Eve we have an invite to Castro Verde, for Consoada with Portuguese friends.
Christmas Day we have lunch with expat friends.
St.Stephen's day (26th), I'll forego the pleasure of early rising to Hunt the Wren (can just imagine the Portuguese neighbours faces!) - day to relax methinks.
No other plans, but things will happen.... they always do.
Back to England in mid-January for medical tests ()

Nollaig shona dhaoibh!
Hope this doesn't kybosh my plans
Attachment 129119
Attached Thumbnails
Christmas Plans?-p1080177.jpg  
Old Yesterday, 3:05 pm   #13
**** the FCC

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hope this doesn't kybosh my plans
Attachment 129119
My sister sent me a picture of the snow on Friday night. They got more than we ended up getting on Saturday morning.

I like it when snow falls in places I don't live in.

Old Yesterday, 3:15 pm   #14
Resident Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
My sister sent me a picture of the snow on Friday night. They got more than we ended up getting on Saturday morning.

I like it when snow falls in places I don't live in.
It started to thaw - but now it's bloody snowing again!

Other half is as excited as only a person who was deprived of snow in childhood can be.... for me, why couldn't it just have waited a few more days?

I need to see it disappearing tomorrow or I'll start to worry - flying's not the problem, getting to the airport is.
Old Yesterday, 3:20 pm   #15
**** the FCC

Quote:
It started to thaw - but now it's bloody snowing again!

Other half is as excited as only a person who was deprived of snow in childhood can be.... for me, why couldn't it just have waited a few more days?

I need to see it disappearing tomorrow or I'll start to worry - flying's not the problem, getting to the airport is.
When it happens every year, often up to 100" worth, it gets real old, real fast.

I am confident driving in it now after lots of practice, of course, but it's still a pain in the arse nonetheless because it's the other drivers I'm worried about, not me.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge