Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge

Old Sep 30th 2017, 12:22 pm   #91
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Terminology

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwoo View Post
British terminology can vary widely in Britain depending on were you are in the UK.
Enormously. My family moved from Sheffield to Gloucester, a distance of only 140 miles and yet a number of words were totally different - off the top of my head, "buns" mean a different food product in the two places, and my mother was utterly confounded when told by the junior school in Gloucester that enrolled at, that I would need "daps".
Old Sep 30th 2017, 12:36 pm   #92
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Enormously. My family moved from Sheffield to Gloucester, a distance of only 140 miles and yet a number of words were totally different - off the top of my head, "buns" mean a different food product in the two places, and my mother was utterly confounded when told by the junior school in Gloucester that enrolled at, that I would need "daps".
Norfolk has its own dictionary.

Speaking the Norfolk dialect: Basic Level

My grandchildren love the words Bishy barney-bee. (ladybird).
Bipat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th 2017, 1:05 pm   #93
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Norfolk has its own dictionary. .....
Yorkshire has a distinct dialect, with roots in old English that mean that it is quite understandable to Dutch people.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 3:57 pm   #94
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...mother was utterly confounded when told by the junior school in Gloucester that enrolled at, that I would need "daps".
I didn't think 'daps' was that far north.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th 2017, 4:06 pm   #95
Just Joined

Paulykate is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Belt and suspenders is also sometimes used to describe a person who is prepared, or who invariably does things in a well ordered, no-nonsense fashion. Teaching your grandma to suck eggs is the same as teaching a ghost how to haunt a house, (not necessary). These are very common terms in North America.
That's funny, it's "belt and braces" in English... Suspenders are for ladies stockings, not for trousers...
Someone who needs things to be really safe, no risk at all... "Nailed on"
Paulykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th 2017, 5:05 pm   #96
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I didn't think 'daps' was that far north. .....
Gloucester is in a strange hinterland between the midlands and the south-west, not really being part of either region. Bizarrely the local TV coverage slices (or it did when I lived there) right through the center of the city - we lived east, of the city center and got local TV from Birmingham, but just a couple of miles south local TV was from Bristol. Needless to say neither region reported much from Gloucester.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 30th 2017 at 5:08 pm.
Pulaski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th 2017, 8:03 pm   #97
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When I was in junior school in Bristol, corporal punishment for misbehaving was not caning, one had to go to the headmaster 'for the dap.'
Old Sep 30th 2017, 8:14 pm   #98
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Agreed. It sounds stereotypical West Country to my ears. Men call other men 'love' in Sheffield which was a bit of a shock when I first arrived. 'Duck' as a term of affection is universal there as well.
Visiting the West Country for the first time with my soon-to-be French wife, whilst in a store, and making a purchase, the young girl serving me said, "Thanks love!"
Mlle looked at me somewhat disturbed, and said, "Who waz zat?"
I replied, "I haven't a clue", and initially had a hard time explaining that it was a popular local term of endearment.
I sometimes wonder if she still doesn't believe me.........
Old Oct 1st 2017, 2:30 am   #99
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
When I was in junior school in Bristol, corporal punishment for misbehaving was not caning, one had to go to the headmaster 'for the dap.'
Were there also rumours about sitting on Batman's lap too?

Our gym teacher used to give the dap too. The geography teacher had a T-Square called Gladys He didn't really use it, you just went to the front of the glass, bent over and you got a tap.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 9:51 am   #100
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
Visiting the West Country for the first time with my soon-to-be French wife, whilst in a store, and making a purchase, the young girl serving me said, "Thanks love!"
Mlle looked at me somewhat disturbed, and said, "Who waz zat?"
I replied, "I haven't a clue", and initially had a hard time explaining that it was a popular local term of endearment.
I sometimes wonder if she still doesn't believe me.........
Funny ? 'Love' is a northern term..I thought they said 'Thanks my lurver' in the deep dark south?
GeniB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st 2017, 9:53 am   #101
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I didn't think 'daps' was that far north.
If we are talking bread buns? They are called 'Baps' in Lancashire. Or 'oven bottoms' if they are flat ones
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:06 am   #102
BE Forum Addict

How's this for British terminology.......
I'd been working overseas, and was recalled for a reposting to S.America. It was for an estimated 6months i.e. unaccompanied, so I had no choice but to leave my wife and 6yr old son behind. I moved them back to Bristol, where neither had lived before. My wife's English was just passable. Seven months later I returned to reunite with them.
They coped very well, and I noted that junior's 'Bristoleeze' was flourishing. One of the very first things my wife said was, "There are many things I didn't understand, but one in particular, and have been dying to ask you. What does 'I will 'ave your guts fur gar'ers' mean?"
Completely taken aback, I repeated, "I will have your guts for garters! Who's been saying that!!"
Junior's smile beamed from ear to ear and said, "Oh, that's the karate teacher. She's great! She's funny. She says that to all the kids!"
Without hesitation, my wife asked, "But what does it mean?"
Trying to translate that into French for her was a challenge, but I got the message across. To which she exclaimed with an expression of horror, "She's been saying that to the children!!"

Somewhat off-topic now, but probably worth a repeat.
I'm not in the habit of telling jokes at home, but one day when junior was in his late teens, whilst at the dinner table I said, "I read in the newspaper this morning that the Pope went up to Mount Olive........(pause)............and Popeye was absolutely furious!!"
After a second or two, junior almost choked with laughter. But from across the other side of the table - not even a glimmer of comprehension. I repeated the joke, and again a look of bewilderment.
Now many years later, we still have a good laugh together when I say to my son, "Mum's still not got that Popeye joke!"
Old Oct 1st 2017, 2:00 pm   #103
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
If we are talking bread buns? They are called 'Baps' in Lancashire. Or 'oven bottoms' if they are flat ones
No, daps are plimsolls. I remembered that from when we lived in Somerset.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 2:02 pm   #104
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
No...daps as in footwear. Plimsolls.

Ah...I should have read on.

Last edited by BristolUK; Oct 1st 2017 at 2:04 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 6:34 pm   #105
GeniB 
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
No, daps are plimsolls. I remembered that from when we lived in Somerset.
You'd have a hard time eating those then

where on earth did they get that name from?

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge