Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge

Old Sep 21st 2017, 12:18 pm   #16
Shard Male
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Terminology

Good thread. Nothing to add at present.
Shard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st 2017, 12:25 pm   #17
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I admin on a FB page and we had a new person join. She asked me, via Messenger, to lead her through how to do something. I explained and then said for her to tell me if I was making it too simple as I didn't want to 'teach grandma to suck eggs'. I then had a thought the expression may not be known in Aus so checked with her. She said she thought it meant I'd told her to F off. Not sure how she got that out of it but even after I explained what it meant, I don't think she really got it.

Weirdly she hasn't been back and hasn't responded to anyone's messages. I don't think it was because of me.

The Recipe Thread Index:
moneypenny20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st 2017, 12:42 pm   #18
Shard Male
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
I admin on a FB page and we had a new person join. She asked me, via Messenger, to lead her through how to do something. I explained and then said for her to tell me if I was making it too simple as I didn't want to 'teach grandma to suck eggs'. I then had a thought the expression may not be known in Aus so checked with her. She said she thought it meant I'd told her to F off. Not sure how she got that out of it but even after I explained what it meant, I don't think she really got it.

Weirdly she hasn't been back and hasn't responded to anyone's messages. I don't think it was because of me.
No idea what that means either. Sounds a bit old fashioned.
Shard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:03 pm   #19
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I admin on a FB page and we had a new person join. She asked me, via Messenger, to lead her through how to do something. I explained and then said for her to tell me if I was making it too simple as I didn't want to 'teach grandma to suck eggs'. I then had a thought the expression may not be known in Aus so checked with her. She said she thought it meant I'd told her to F off. ....
Most of what you post looks like you're telling people to F off.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:24 pm   #20
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard View Post
No idea what that means either. Sounds a bit old fashioned.
Probably Teaching someone to do something they have a lot of experience in doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Wow, what an obnoxious thing to say. Way to piss someone off, well done.

The Recipe Thread Index:
moneypenny20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st 2017, 2:55 pm   #21
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
.... Wow, what an obnoxious thing to say. Way to piss someone off, well done.
Sorry, that was like me trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:26 pm   #22
Leslie Female
WTF?
Premium Member

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Most people need to be told to F off (I'm looking at you Pulaski).
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:37 pm   #23
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Belt and suspenders is also sometimes used to describe a person who is prepared, or who invariably does things in a well ordered, no-nonsense fashion. Teaching your grandma to suck eggs is the same as teaching a ghost how to haunt a house, (not necessary). These are very common terms in North America.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 2:26 am   #24
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Not an idion or phrase, rather a slang term: many years ago my mate from London was visiting me in Oregon; we are outside chitchatting with the neighbour (who is smoking) when my mate asks him for a "fag" . The neighbour's eyes widen and he is lost for words, and just keeps staring at my mate. I could have explained immediately what "fag" means but thought I had wait a few seconds to finish giggling.
Boomhauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:17 am   #25
Premium Member

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Not an idion or phrase, rather a slang term: many years ago my mate from London was visiting me in Oregon; we are outside chitchatting with the neighbour (who is smoking) when my mate asks him for a "fag" . The neighbour's eyes widen and he is lost for words, and just keeps staring at my mate. I could have explained immediately what "fag" means but thought I had wait a few seconds to finish giggling.
Asking someone if you can "bum a fag" does have rather different connotations depending on which side of the pond you are. Luckily I don't smoke!
BritInParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:45 am   #26
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

So does "come round and knock me up in the morning".......................
Old Sep 26th 2017, 1:04 pm   #27
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The British use the word floor in place of ground, as in the earth beneath our feet. The only time I think it is used in this context in North America is in the phrase 'the forest floor'. Garden instead of yard, (we call it a garden only if used for growing vegetables or flowers). There are old threads with tons of them.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 1:59 pm   #28
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
The British use the word floor in place of ground, as in the earth beneath our feet. ....
I don't think so; at least I never did. .... Indoors, yes, outdoors, no, it is "the ground".

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 26th 2017 at 2:07 pm.
Pulaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th 2017, 2:17 pm   #29
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
The British use the word floor in place of ground, as in the earth beneath our feet. The only time I think it is used in this context in North America is in the phrase 'the forest floor'. Garden instead of yard, (we call it a garden only if used for growing vegetables or flowers). There are old threads with tons of them.
The floor usage you mention seems to be true, to some extent. I believe it is recent, I never heard it back in the days before I left the UK. But I've heard "floor" to mean ground or roadway or pavement in eyewitness reports of accidents or terrorist events. (Bodies on the floor etc.)
Old Sep 26th 2017, 2:20 pm   #30
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

What about words that used to be just British, but now seem to be widely used in the US? Example - cul-de-sac. Formerly was not used in the US, now common currency, at least among realtors.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge