Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge

Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:45 pm   #61
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2017 Weather Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
40s again today. Grey and wet. November weather

Might get an ice storm tonight and snow at the weekend but then it'll be back into the 40s again on Monday. That's about 20 degrees warmer than the average, can't really ask for more.

Of course, when it inevitably drops to -20, it'll feel that bit worse as a result
I just wish it would stay dry long enough to let all the floody, melted snow in my yard drain away before freezing again.
Nutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:47 pm   #62
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
I just wish it would stay dry long enough to let all the floody, melted snow in my yard drain away before freezing again.
Oh, it'll never do that. You'll get a nice day with above freezing temperatures, some more snow and ice melts, then it drops below 20 at night so it's a bloody skating rink in the morning.

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:49 pm   #63
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh, it'll never do that. You'll get a nice day with above freezing temperatures, some more snow and ice melts, then it drops below 20 at night so it's a bloody skating rink in the morning.
I wonder if any of my grass is left. it hasn't seen daylight in about 4 weeks, being either submerged in water or encased in ice.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:51 pm   #64
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wonder if any of my grass is left. it hasn't seen daylight in about 4 weeks, being either submerged in water or encased in ice.
Should be there. Maybe a bit brown but it'll get plenty of water come the spring thaw, then you can chuck some more seed down.

Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:53 pm   #65
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Quote:
Should be there. Maybe a bit brown but it'll get plenty of water come the spring thaw, then you can chuck some more seed down.
Heavy over-seeding is already in the plan. Currently planning on Spring seed/feed and again in Fall. Not planning on any weed killer or anything until 2018... Just concentrating on making stuff grow before I try getting picky about what.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:55 pm   #66
Bash the fash

Quote:
Heavy over-seeding is already in the plan. Currently planning on Spring seed/feed and again in Fall. Not planning on any weed killer or anything until 2018... Just concentrating on making stuff grow before I try getting picky about what.
Are you going to core aerate before you overseed?

I think I might get my arse in gear and start on our yard this coming spring as well, I'm getting sick of having more clover and dandelions than grass. What are you using for fertilizer?

Old Jan 11th 2017, 2:02 pm   #67
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Quote:
Are you going to core aerate before you overseed?

I think I might get my arse in gear and start on our yard this coming spring as well, I'm getting sick of having more clover and dandelions than grass. What are you using for fertilizer?
I was planning on it, but have been advised not to, but to do that in the Fall instead. Something to do with the whole thing (soil, grass etc) all being "new" and not disturbing what has already rooted. (Could be complete bullshit for all I know).

Current Spring plan is to damp down (hah), seed, lightly roll to press seed down and then back to daily watering.
Current growth seems good where it has taken but I would still describe it as sparse, so there should be no issue getting the seed in contact with the ground.

Thoughts?

Fertilizer... Not sure... I was planning on coming here for advice on that.
As the soil was shipped in, I am not sure where I am with it. Planning on Liming it in the Fall, just cuz.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 2:05 pm   #68
Bash the fash

Quote:
I was planning on it, but have been advised not to, but to do that in the Fall instead. Something to do with the whole thing (soil, grass etc) all being "new" and not disturbing what has already rooted. (Could be complete bullshit for all I know).

Current Spring plan is to damp down (hah), seed, lightly roll to press seed down and then back to daily watering.
Current growth seems good where it has taken but I would still describe it as sparse, so there should be no issue getting the seed in contact with the ground.

Thoughts?

Fertilizer... Not sure... I was planning on coming here for advice on that.
As the soil was shipped in, I am not sure where I am with it. Planning on Liming it in the Fall, just cuz.
I might have to aerate before a spring overseed though because our soil is basically clay so it'd need to be tilled up a bit before dropping the new seed. I might do a sweep with a granular broadleaf weedkiller as well just because.

Your plan sounds like it should do the trick. Not sure on the fertilizer myself, I guess any kind of starter fertilizer for lawns out of your local hardware store of choice will do the trick there. You can get a soil test kit to see what kind of NPK rating you might need, but you can probably wing it, or get something with all the same numbers (like a 10-10-10 or something).

Old Jan 11th 2017, 2:07 pm   #69
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Quote:
I might have to aerate before a spring overseed though because our soil is basically clay so it'd need to be tilled up a bit before dropping the new seed. I might do a sweep with a granular broadleaf weedkiller as well just because.

Your plan sounds like it should do the trick. Not sure on the fertilizer myself, I guess any kind of starter fertilizer for lawns out of your local hardware store of choice will do the trick there. You can get a soil test kit to see what kind of NPK rating you might need, but you can probably wing it, or get something with all the same numbers (like a 10-10-10 or something).
I'm waiting for the waters to recede and the dumped shopping carts and old tyres to start appearing.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 2:08 pm   #70
Bash the fash

Quote:
I'm waiting for the waters to recede and the dumped shopping carts and old tyres to start appearing.
Ahhh, spring.

Old Jan 11th 2017, 2:26 pm   #71
Bob Male
Not so super superslob
Super Moderator

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

50F today.

So a bit of a upswing from the last couple of days.

Immigrants should be tarred and feathered....Yes, I like it kinky.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th 2017, 9:21 pm   #72
Queen of Diplomacy
Premium Member

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

25C today with morning showers. Quite a drop from yesterday's 38.
Grief as total as in its first hour
Dorothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th 2017, 9:33 pm   #73
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Had some wicked winds yesterday and last night into the early morning. Strong enough to make the windows visibly shake quite badly, and knock everything over including a bbq on the patio.

Sunny again today, not terribly cold at 33F, but the low overnight of 17F was a wee bit chilly, and that was before wind chill factored in.

Should be into the low to mid 40's F by early next week.
Jsmth321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th 2017, 10:09 pm   #74
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Lot of heavy rain over the past week, enough to a alleviate the drought for next summer. Floods, trees falling on people and vehicles. So much snow the ski resorts had to close temporarily. Finally drying out.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 10:59 pm   #75
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Only 29C today but humidity is 70% so pretty unpleasant to be honest.

The Recipe Thread Index:
moneypenny20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge