Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge

Old Oct 4th 2017, 2:44 pm   #541

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2017 Weather Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
It's going to be another glorious day in NC.

Unfortunately I could use a little rain, or to be more precise, my yard could, as I put down weed & feed on half the back yard three weeks ago (I did the first half a couple of months ago) and a lot of the granules are still laying on the ground doing no good at all.
Here's your solution, right here.

8 Reasons Why You Should Pee in Your Garden
Old Oct 4th 2017, 3:45 pm   #542
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
It rained here, either overnight or early morning, but not much. Less than half an inch. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It was sort of a sub-tropical drizzle down here. I think it's supposed to cool off now though.
Per the current predictions we are in line for the remnants of a minor hurricane (it hasn't been named yet) that is expect to come on shore in the Florida pan handle, and is expected to cross the Carolinas next Monday.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 3:58 pm   #543
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It was sort of a sub-tropical drizzle down here. I think it's supposed to cool off now though.
It's now sunny here. I think it'll be mid 70s today when all's said and done. Not too bad now, though.

Quote:
Per the current predictions we are in line for the remnants of a minor hurricane (it hasn't been named yet) that is expect to come on shore in the Florida pan handle, and is expected to cross the Carolinas next Monday.
It has sort of been named. It'll be Nate or Ophelia (can't remember if Maria was the most recent) according to this list.

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th 2017, 4:22 pm   #544
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
.... It has sort of been named. It'll be Nate or Ophelia (can't remember if Maria was the most recent) according to this list.
Yup, Nate is next.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 4:33 pm   #545
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yup, Nate is next.
I'm going to hazard a guess though, that in 2023 when the lists cycle back to this one again that we won't have a Harvey, Irma or Maria as they tend to retire names of notably bad ones. Katia, for example, would have been named Katrina but for the one in 2005.

Old Oct 4th 2017, 4:47 pm   #546
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Quote:
I'm going to hazard a guess though, that in 2023 when the lists cycle back to this one again that we won't have a Harvey, Irma or Maria as they tend to retire names of notably bad ones. Katia, for example, would have been named Katrina but for the one in 2005.
Yeah, I believe that the name of any hurricane that caused one or more fatalities is retired.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 4:59 pm   #547
Bash the fash

Quote:
Yeah, I believe that the name of any hurricane that caused one or more fatalities is retired.
Yep, that's why we now have Hurricanes named Alex, and not Andrew.

Old Oct 13th 2017, 1:35 pm   #548
Bash the fash

Apparently, hurricane Ophelia might hit Ireland (possibly Scotland, too):

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...inds-1.3254295

Old Oct 13th 2017, 1:42 pm   #549

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Apparently, hurricane Ophelia might hit Ireland (possibly Scotland, too):

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...inds-1.3254295
That's unusual isn't it?
Old Oct 13th 2017, 1:50 pm   #550
Bash the fash

Quote:
That's unusual isn't it?
According to the weatherman on channel 32 this morning, it would be the first hurricane to hit Ireland since 1961. So I guess the storms of 1987 weren't officially counted as a hurricane, rather just the remnants of one.

He showed a map though that had Ophelia actually swinging out from the mid-Atlantic towards Ireland, rather than towards the carribean/US as it normally would. It's category 1 now, but won't quite be that strong if and when it hits land. It'll still be a ball-buster of a storm nonetheless.

Old Yesterday, 8:24 am   #551
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Sitting here with the sky a really weird colour, a sort of dirty orange/yellow, and it's totally overcast, very dark so lights are having to be on. This is the edge of Ophelia and it's certainly like nothing I've seen before. Waves are building and crashing on the beach, glad we will only see the edges of the storm.
mikelincs is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge