Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge

Old Jan 3rd 2017, 8:29 am   #16
Somewhat confused!
Premium Member

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2017 Weather Thread

20°C and 93% humidity. Apparently I'm supposed to sleep in this and I know it's only going to get worse throughout January, ugh.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 8:49 am   #17
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

-4C currently/-12 wind chill.

Currently under an arctic outflow warning.

An arctic ridge of high pressure over the BC interior will build southwards giving arctic outflow conditions. Wind chill values of minus 20 to minus 25 will persist over the inland sections of the North Coast until Wednesday afternoon.
Spoiler:
In Whistler, Howe Sound, and the Fraser Valley, wind chill values will drop in the minus 15 to minus 20 range overnight and persist until Wednesday afternoon.

Strong northerly winds gusting to 90 km/h in Howe Sound will ease somewhat Tuesday morning and redevelop Tuesday night. In the Fraser Valley, northeasterly winds gusting to 70 km/h are expected.

Any outdoor activity exposes you to an increased risk of frostbite. If outside, dress warmly in layers and stay dry. Cover as much exposed skin as possible to avoid frostbite. Be aware of the potential for falling branches or power lines.

Arctic outflow warnings are issued when bitterly cold air flows from the interior to coastal communities and the outflow winds create wind chill values of -20 or less for 6 hours or more.
Jsmth321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 9:09 am   #18
Somewhat confused!
Premium Member

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
-4C currently/-12 wind chill.

Currently under an arctic outflow warning.

An arctic ridge of high pressure over the BC interior will build southwards giving arctic outflow conditions. Wind chill values of minus 20 to minus 25 will persist over the inland sections of the North Coast until Wednesday afternoon.
Spoiler:
In Whistler, Howe Sound, and the Fraser Valley, wind chill values will drop in the minus 15 to minus 20 range overnight and persist until Wednesday afternoon.

Strong northerly winds gusting to 90 km/h in Howe Sound will ease somewhat Tuesday morning and redevelop Tuesday night. In the Fraser Valley, northeasterly winds gusting to 70 km/h are expected.

Any outdoor activity exposes you to an increased risk of frostbite. If outside, dress warmly in layers and stay dry. Cover as much exposed skin as possible to avoid frostbite. Be aware of the potential for falling branches or power lines.

Arctic outflow warnings are issued when bitterly cold air flows from the interior to coastal communities and the outflow winds create wind chill values of -20 or less for 6 hours or more.
Sounds a wee bit chilly
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 11:21 am   #19

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Foggy. Mild for January.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 1:30 pm   #20
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Foggy. Mild for January.
Properly foggy, too. It's been a while since it was like that and once again I was cursing myself for not putting my camera in the car this morning before I left for work.

I'll take the above freezing start to January, though. 39 today apparently. Even the drop to the low teens later in the week doesn't seem that bad for this time of year after what we were dealing with a few weeks ago.

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 2:15 pm   #21

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Properly foggy, too. It's been a while since it was like that and once again I was cursing myself for not putting my camera in the car this morning before I left for work.

I'll take the above freezing start to January, though. 39 today apparently. Even the drop to the low teens later in the week doesn't seem that bad for this time of year after what we were dealing with a few weeks ago.
Yeah, proper fog. The trains were running late and everything, and it was pretty thick.

Every day it's doing damp and mild is a day it isn't doing tundra temps and a day closer to spring.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 2:17 pm   #22
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, proper fog. The trains were running late and everything, and it was pretty thick.
My decision to drive to our Chicago and Aurora locations for inventory on Friday instead of today was vindicated this morning when I could barely see to the end of our street

I still like a nice thick fog of a morning though.

Quote:
Every day it's doing damp and mild is a day it isn't doing tundra temps and a day closer to spring.
It's only, what, 10 weeks until spring? It'll be here in no time.

Old Jan 3rd 2017, 2:23 pm   #23

Quote:
My decision to drive to our Chicago and Aurora locations for inventory on Friday instead of today was vindicated this morning when I could barely see to the end of our street

I still like a nice thick fog of a morning though.

It's only, what, 10 weeks until spring? It'll be here in no time.
Driving in fog is a mug's game. Even the Brits crash in it all the time, and you would think they would know how to drive in the stuff. I shudder to think how Americans handle it.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 2:25 pm   #24
Bash the fash

Quote:
Driving in fog is a mug's game. Even the Brits crash in it all the time, and you would think they would know how to drive in the stuff. I shudder to think how Americans handle it.
I can handle driving in it just fine, it's everyone else I don't trust

Plus, traffic would have been murder this morning with or without the fog, with everyone back at work and school and that. Friday morning was a breeze.

Old Jan 3rd 2017, 2:29 pm   #25

Quote:
I can handle driving in it just fine, it's everyone else I don't trust

Plus, traffic would have been murder this morning with or without the fog, with everyone back at work and school and that. Friday morning was a breeze.
I remember riding my moped in fog in England, with its silly little headlamp doing nothing at all and having to follow the road by finding the white line down the middle - which was great until something came the other way.

Yeah, driving would be perfectly safe if everyone else just stayed at home.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 2:34 pm   #26
Bash the fash

Quote:
I remember riding my moped in fog in England, with its silly little headlamp doing nothing at all and having to follow the road by finding the white line down the middle - which was great until something came the other way.

Yeah, driving would be perfectly safe if everyone else just stayed at home.
I didn't encounter fog back home quite as much as I did here, which is weird because you'd think being by the sea would mean we got more. When it did show up though, it was like driving through cotton wool. I can remember driving at about 25 on the motorway one night coming home from a gig when I hit really thick fog. It was 2am though, so I was the only one on the road, but I wasn't taking any chances.

Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:01 pm   #27

Nothing out there worth having today.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:14 pm   #28
Bash the fash

Quote:
Nothing out there worth having today.
According to the weatherman this morning, it's going to be like this until at least Sunday

Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:18 pm   #29

Quote:
According to the weatherman this morning, it's going to be like this until at least Sunday

And there's nothing like wrapping your scarf tightly around your face so you don't get frostbite on the walk to the station, only to discover that the cat has apparently spent the night sleeping on it and deposited most of its fur there.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:21 pm   #30
Bash the fash

Quote:

And there's nothing like wrapping your scarf tightly around your face so you don't get frostbite on the walk to the station, only to discover that the cat has apparently spent the night sleeping on it and deposited most of its fur there.
Cats do that.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lounge