Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Closed Thread

Old Oct 3rd 2016, 3:19 pm   #16
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryder Cup

Extremely disappointed, but not at all surprised that we've lost... it's come a couple of years too early for a couple of lads (notably young Fitzpatrick & maybe Wood too), and a couple of years too late for Westwood & Kaymer, neither of whom should be back at a Ryder Cup as players.

Willett's whole weekend was undermined by his brother, who simply made Danny a target for the 'boo boys' when he didn't need any extra pressure. I'm not sure his game & temperament is strong enough for Ryder Cup golf anyway.

Some of the golf yesterday was simply beyond belief, a colossal standard... McIlroy, Reed, Stenson, Bello, Pieters, Sergio, Big Phil, DJ, Koepka.... some amazing shots under immense pressure.

Whilst it's hard to argue that the best team didn't win (they did), the disgraceful behaviour of a significant number of Yanks (let's not pretend it was just a rowdy few...it was many more than that ) just makes it stick in my craw even more, and I hope this experience will not be forgotten by our lads in 2 years time.... it's about time WE made the Ryder Cups staged in Europe just as hostile for the Americans...though I think we're simply too well mannered to sink to the depths of some of the idiots over here, many of whom strike me as not being genuine golf fans at all.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 3:35 pm   #17
EMR 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Rory has nade it clear that the European side will not tolerate bad behaviour from Europes fans when it returns to France.
Danny has done no favours at all in a tweet where he agreed with what his brother wrote.
He will need to be a top flight player for the next two years to be selected.

We need to hope that our rookies maintain their form and like the Americans from Gleneagles arrive in France ready to take on who ever is put in front of them.
I think that the next European Captain could either be Thomas Bjorn or see a return of Monty or Paul Mcginley.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 4:15 pm   #18
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Winning in April or earlier and then having little form for the rest of the year but getting automatic team selection has to be changed.
You need 12 players who are close to their best when it is time to play.
Easy to say now from your arm chair.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 4:38 pm   #19
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rory has nade it clear that the European side will not tolerate bad behaviour from Europes fans when it returns to France.
Danny has done no favours at all in a tweet where he agreed with what his brother wrote.
He will need to be a top flight player for the next two years to be selected.

We need to hope that our rookies maintain their form and like the Americans from Gleneagles arrive in France ready to take on who ever is put in front of them.
I think that the next European Captain could either be Thomas Bjorn or see a return of Monty or Paul Mcginley.
Yes, but I wasn't advocating bad behaviour, simply a hostile environment which can be generated by being passionate for your own players, without having to be abusive or rude to your opponents...that's something that American crowds either don't comprehend or simply choose to disregard.

Danny Willett won't be in the team in Paris unless his golf makes a dramatic improvement for the next 2 years...he's done little to nothing since winning the Masters, and you'd hope he can get his game together over the next year...

I don't have a problem with big Clarkie continuing as Captain- I don't think (apart from choosing to bring his mate Westwood along...) he did very much wrong, and he's clearly well liked & respected by the players. We were always going to struggle to win the Cup with a team half full of rookies against a very, very strong U.S. team, who spent a LOT of time, money & effort to make sure they were as strong as they could be...
Old Oct 13th 2016, 4:51 pm   #20
Hiro11 
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
the disgraceful behaviour of a significant number of Yanks (let's not pretend it was just a rowdy few...it was many more than that http://irishleaguesupporters.com/for.../undecided.gif) just makes it stick in my craw even more, and I hope this experience will not be forgotten by our lads in 2 years time.... it's about time WE made the Ryder Cups staged in Europe just as hostile for the Americans...though I think we're simply too well mannered to sink to the depths of some of the idiots over here, many of whom strike me as not being genuine golf fans at all.
Did your monocle fall out at the "disgraceful behavior" of the dastardly "Yanks"? Did you get a touch of the vapors? So glad the Euros are so cultured. Talk shit, get hit.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 5:58 pm   #21
Late In May In 1999...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Did your monocle fall out at the "disgraceful behavior" of the dastardly "Yanks"? Did you get a touch of the vapors? So glad the Euros are so cultured. Talk shit, get hit.
The only person 'talking shit' here is you.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 9:52 pm   #22
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Bit late to this thread as I didn't see it.
Quote:
The best side won by a long way.
The European tour does have to look at the criteria for selection,
Winning a load of money 12 months before the competition and then not doing a lot for the rest of the year should not result in automatic selection.
Performance in the months leading up to the Ryder cup should become more important.
Andy Sullivan, Danny Willet and Lee Westwood did not get 1 point between them.
Time for a rethink.
Id be interested to hear who you would have picked instead.

An extremely small percentage of Americans probably overstepped the line. I put it down to the event over here attracting general sports fans as well as golf fans. As someone that attended the event in 2010, I can assure you the Americans will be playing in a hostile environment. It's the same every year. It's what makes the Ryder Cup great and separates it from any other golf event! I'm. As a huge golf fan, I'm. It interested in watching a Ryder Cup where the galleries applaud politely from outside the ropes.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 10:06 pm   #23
Late In May In 1999...

Not sure I agree with a couple of your points Mark.

I may be totally wrong, but it seemed on the TV coverage to be a LOT more than a 'small percentage' of Americans who were both verbally abusive (particularly to Danny Willett, Rory & Sergio Garcia) & also shouting out whilst the players were preparing for & actually hitting shots....

And whilst there's certainly a large element of the poor behaviour that can be blamed on 'general sports fans' (as opposed to genuine golf fans) attending the Ryder Cup here in the States, I think the fact that people are apparently allowed to drink freely on the course is also conducive to loutish behaviour which is simply not appropriate for a golf event. (and before you get the wrong idea, I'm what could be described as a 'typical' football fan, so I have no problem with 'loutish' behaviour taking place at other sports events or big matches!! )

I would also seriously doubt that the event in two years time will be as 'hostile' for Americans in Paris as Minnesota was for the European players, simply because the French are not that much of a golfing nation, and unless hordes attend from the UK & Ireland, it's hard to see the atmosphere being as volatile...
Old Oct 13th 2016, 10:57 pm   #24
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would expect plenty of true golf fans to travel to the event (plus the French hate the Americans) so I would expect the US team to get a warm welcome when they arrive LOL. I agree the crowds won't be as volatile as in the US, but anywhere where 99% of the spectators are against you, I would call hostile LOL. I also think the teams are so closely matched at the minute, that the home team have to be favourites. I'm confident the European team will reclaim the trophy in 2 years.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 5:14 pm   #25
Hiro11 
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
The only person 'talking shit' here is you.
I was referring to your cultured, sophisticated Willetts of course. Also, the idea of European sports fans somehow being more "sophisticated" than American sports fans is both insulting and laughable.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 6:08 pm   #26
Late In May In 1999...

Quote:
I was referring to your cultured, sophisticated Willetts of course. Also, the idea of European sports fans somehow being more "sophisticated" than American sports fans is both insulting and laughable.
I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to be referencing...

Danny Willett was unfortunate that his brother decided to vent his spleen about the poor behaviour of some American 'golf fans' (I have my doubts as to whether these people are actually golf fans, rather more likely to be American football/baseball fans IMO) just BEFORE the Ryder Cup tournament, a very poor decision which left Danny subjected to a weekend of insults, rudeness and generally being targeted by the 'boo boys'.... if YOU believe the abuse Danny was subjected to due to the ill-conceived actions of his brother was 'right' and 'fair', then there is little left to debate with you....

As for sports fans 'sophistication', that is not something that can be 'measured', so it's pointless getting into that with someone as clearly opinionated as yourself, someone who clearly believes the United States and it's citizens are the greatest thing ever to happen to this planet, period...
Old Oct 14th 2016, 7:05 pm   #27
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The sports are more sophisticated and therefore the fans are.

Highly evident in the harmonious and creative chanting of sports fans across Europe on multiple levels.

Repeating "USA, USA, USA, USA....." is not very creative at all although granted you are more likely to remember the words.

My favourite was the guy who kept shouting "Hamburger". It's good that in one word US fans can show their creativity, culture and lifestyle.

America is a nation of uneducated grunters.

Last edited by JamesM; Oct 14th 2016 at 7:08 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 12:50 am   #28
BE Forum Addict

My favourites chant on the 1st tee when I went to the Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor.......
We've got GMac
You've got Big Mac

I also enjoyed
Where's your waterproofs, where's your waterproofs
after the US teams waterproofs turned out to be not so waterproof LOL.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 5:43 am   #29
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
100% factually correct in the golf. It's been proven.

This Ryder Cup was some of the best golf I've watched and some of the worst golf fan behaviour I've seen.

The bit I did like though, was when someone shouted during McIlroy's backswing on the fairway and he stopped, loads of American fans were going mental at the bloke who did it and demanded he get chucked out. Proof, if needed that not ALL fans are *****, just some. But those some were almost certainly all American.

Ergo, by conclusion. European fans are better behaved, therefore more sophisticated and therefore the claim made by the Rt. Hon Cainess...are correct.

Now, move along quietly please.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room