Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Oct 11th 2005, 3:31 am   #76
HUP 
Brain Drained
 
HUP's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,879
HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalfordRedDownunder
I will say whatever I want Mr know all. If I choose to say how good RL is and how rank GayFL is, I will say it whether cretin like you like it or not. Its dickheads like you who are the cause of hostile attitudes and pathetic lefty views.
Dont like it get f***ed!
Lathy Lathy, there was me thinking you was a man of god. Tolerance lathy thats what ya need.

I tell ya what Lathy I bet going down the pub with you is a bundle of laughs

Sorry did I say bundle of laughs I meant to say

I bet going down the pub with you is about as much fun as bowel surgery with a blunt stick
__________________
If this were really happening, what would you think?
I think I must have had something useful to say.
HUP is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2005, 10:14 am   #77
BE Enthusiast
 
bill drinkwater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 788
bill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt begley
Yep a real waste of money - and you are right the boys will follow the money. However ask yourself, the same is happening to league now that happened in union years ago. What goes around comes around.........

Now both games are pro perhaps we will see survival of the fittest/best supported rugby in this country?

Interesting point about the coaches - is it just money or do they actually see a bigger opportunity to influence a sport which is developing professionally rather than stay within one which has stagnated in this country?
Think the attraction for a lot of the coaches is the International stage that union offers,of course the money is better as well,the R.L. cant fund the purchase of players such as the R.F.U have done in the past.League for years has virtually ignored international competition,ashes tours were becoming rare,and the big 3 nations only wanted to play each other.There appears to have been a slight shift in the last 12-18 months,mainly to do with Richard Lewis the R.L. chairman realising the potential exposure and revenue from this.Only this week there have been games between Malta v Greece,Samoa v Tonga,papau new guinea v Australia u21,Portugal v Fiji "A".This is the sort of development work that has been going on for thepast couple of uears,other countries who are making strides include,Lebanon,Georgia,U.S.A.,Holland,Germany,and the prescence of a super league side for france next season should give the french game a real boost.If the international game flourishes i dont belive there will be as much movement of players from league to union,but you will always get some,there are still union players going to league in england,it will always happen!
bill drinkwater is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:15 pm   #78
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,251
Wicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill drinkwater
Think the attraction for a lot of the coaches is the International stage that union offers,of course the money is better as well,the R.L. cant fund the purchase of players such as the R.F.U have done in the past.League for years has virtually ignored international competition,ashes tours were becoming rare,and the big 3 nations only wanted to play each other.There appears to have been a slight shift in the last 12-18 months,mainly to do with Richard Lewis the R.L. chairman realising the potential exposure and revenue from this.Only this week there have been games between Malta v Greece,Samoa v Tonga,papau new guinea v Australia u21,Portugal v Fiji "A".This is the sort of development work that has been going on for thepast couple of uears,other countries who are making strides include,Lebanon,Georgia,U.S.A.,Holland,Germany,and the prescence of a super league side for france next season should give the french game a real boost.If the international game flourishes i dont belive there will be as much movement of players from league to union,but you will always get some,there are still union players going to league in england,it will always happen!
Look at the influence that Jason Robinson had on England's performance though as a union convert, admittedly the opposition knew to shut him down early and he doesn't have the size to compete with the big boys, but give that man space and he's greased lightning.
Wicked Jester is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:23 pm   #79
Illinois Rapscallion
 
Circus-of-Power's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: In a one bar town
Posts: 1,728
Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginla

RL is for the cranially challenged. You fit that category perfectly.

1.Lift ball.
2. Run with said ball in the hope that you can advance one yard.
3. After getting stopped after half a yard pass ball between legs.
4. Next moran repeats the process after quick sniff of first player's bum
5. And so on ....... YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!
...and Union is for the Stephen Hawkins of the world ????
1.Kick the Ball
2.Form a Line
3.Kick the Ball
4.Fall on Floor
5.Kick the Ball
6.Form a Line
7.Kick the Ball
8.Half Time .... Form a Line ...Play with Balls..............

One last point, Shaun Edwards did indeed play "rugger", he played for England School Boys so I will own up to my own diminishing memory .That same year he captained Wigan, Lancashire and England at League (including a 7 match tour of France) and never lost a game. How do I know??? ..... I played in them all as well ....
Circus-of-Power is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2005, 4:21 pm   #80
BE Enthusiast
 
bill drinkwater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 788
bill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
...and Union is for the Stephen Hawkins of the world ????
1.Kick the Ball
2.Form a Line
3.Kick the Ball
4.Fall on Floor
5.Kick the Ball
6.Form a Line
7.Kick the Ball
8.Half Time .... Form a Line ...Play with Balls..............

One last point, Shaun Edwards did indeed play "rugger", he played for England School Boys so I will own up to my own diminishing memory .That same year he captained Wigan, Lancashire and England at League (including a 7 match tour of France) and never lost a game. How do I know??? ..... I played in them all as well ....
You must have been a fair old player then,did you ever play top level as an adult,and if so,who for? Cheers,Bill.
bill drinkwater is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:00 pm   #81
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,251
Wicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

It's just amazing that the league fans come on this thread and attack union, for what purpose?

Go and entertain yourselves on your own thread where you can ponder the specifics of your sub optimal IQs and the shrinking size of support for your game.

Union is on the increase in terms of support levels and nations starting to play professionally. League on the other hand has not grown and is still only played in a few countries.

Feel free to join in if you have something of value to contribute or otherwise go and have your discussion amongst both of you in your own thread.
Wicked Jester is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2005, 11:02 pm   #82
Illinois Rapscallion
 
Circus-of-Power's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: In a one bar town
Posts: 1,728
Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill drinkwater
You must have been a fair old player then,did you ever play top level as an adult,and if so,who for? Cheers,Bill.
I played all the way upto GB Schoolboys. I stayed as an amateur with Leigh Miners then after finishing Uni. spent some time in the South of France playing for Carcassonne. Played some Union for a while then back to amateur rugby league. I had offers to turn pro. but nothing worth while, I suppose I could be called another Kenny Cudavebin
Circus-of-Power is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2005, 8:29 am   #83
BE Enthusiast
 
bill drinkwater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 788
bill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Jester
It's just amazing that the league fans come on this thread and attack union, for what purpose?

Go and entertain yourselves on your own thread where you can ponder the specifics of your sub optimal IQs and the shrinking size of support for your game.

Union is on the increase in terms of support levels and nations starting to play professionally. League on the other hand has not grown and is still only played in a few countries.

Feel free to join in if you have something of value to contribute or otherwise go and have your discussion amongst both of you in your own thread.
Hello! Dont believe i have attacked Union anywhere in my posts,im sure if any of the facts i have posted are wrong you will disprove them??
bill drinkwater is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:17 am   #84
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,251
Wicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill drinkwater
Hello! Dont believe i have attacked Union anywhere in my posts,im sure if any of the facts i have posted are wrong you will disprove them??

Wasn't talking about you Bill
Wicked Jester is offline  
Old Oct 12th 2005, 3:39 pm   #85
BE Enthusiast
 
bill drinkwater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 788
bill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightbill drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Jester
Wasn't talking about you Bill
My apologies!
bill drinkwater is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:05 am   #86
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 45
SalfordRedDownunder will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUP
Lathy Lathy, there was me thinking you was a man of god. Tolerance lathy thats what ya need.

I tell ya what Lathy I bet going down the pub with you is a bundle of laughs

Sorry did I say bundle of laughs I meant to say

I bet going down the pub with you is about as much fun as bowel surgery with a blunt stick

Ahh Mr Satanist is back. Didnt take you long did it?

I maybe imperfect, but thankfully forgiven.

Nah, you stick with the pubs old chap. Bye
SalfordRedDownunder is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:08 am   #87
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 45
SalfordRedDownunder will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Jester
Union is on the increase in terms of support levels and nations starting to play professionally. League on the other hand has not grown and is still only played in a few countries.
More delluded hogwash. Union is now supported and watched by the entire Milky Way! Of course we all know only 2.3 million bothered to watch the rugby yawnion world cup, not the boasted 23 million, somebody cannot do their maths at the ARU!
SalfordRedDownunder is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:05 pm   #88
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,251
Wicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond reputeWicked Jester has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalfordRedDownunder
More delluded hogwash. Union is now supported and watched by the entire Milky Way! Of course we all know only 2.3 million bothered to watch the rugby yawnion world cup, not the boasted 23 million, somebody cannot do their maths at the ARU!

Isn't it such a pity that stupidity isn't painful.
Wicked Jester is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:27 pm   #89
Illinois Rapscallion
 
Circus-of-Power's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: In a one bar town
Posts: 1,728
Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Rugby Union Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Jester
Isn't it such a pity that stupidity isn't painful.
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Circus-of-Power is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 8:09 am.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com