Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Old Apr 13th 2017, 9:30 pm   #46
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby League

Expecting the Toronto Wolfpack to dish out another beating this weekend. This time North Wales Crusaders come into the firing line.

Watching this Toronto team rise up over the next few years is going to be exciting.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th 2017, 11:58 pm   #47
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2201 View Post
Currently sat here watching Widnes v Warrington
Me too. Some tough spectators at these League matches, aren't there? Some man apparently told his wife. "Look, sweetheart. Of course I'll take you to the hospital, but not yet!. Just hold it in till the end of the game." Oops - left it a wee bit late, matey! A doctor had to be called for some woman going into labour, with twenty minutes still to go.

A bit of a scrappy match, but the Warrington defence was very, very sound, most of the time.
Gordon Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th 2017, 11:45 pm   #48
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I've just watched South Sydney v Brisbane, and was impressed yet again by the ferocious speed with which RL is played these days, compared with what I remember from fifty-odd years ago. Also... back then, wingers were often an unnecessary luxury. Today, they're the players who score the most thrilling tries - flying parallel to the ground with 60-80% of their bodies out over the sideline. Amazingly skillful! Most of those tries would probably have been disallowed way back when; it's thanks to the video re-plays that they're able to be closely examined in slow-mo, and found to be legitimate.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 8:37 pm   #49
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Expecting the Toronto Wolfpack to dish out another beating this weekend. This time North Wales Crusaders come into the firing line.

Watching this Toronto team rise up over the next few years is going to be exciting.
Sitting here in WNY watching the Wolfpack with great interest. And hope. Along with their rise should come some good matches against the top clubs. I never imagined when we moved across here that I just might be able to watch Leeds Rhinos play 'up the road'. Now the prospect is quite realistic if I wait...
Old Jul 14th 2017, 3:21 am   #50
BE Forum Addict

Last night I watched the Origin-3 game from Brisbane, on one of our local channels from the US. Some high-standard footie (although the refereeing was iffy), with a wonderful second-try for Queensland, which is well worth seeing on YouTube:

Did anybody else watch it?
Old Jul 14th 2017, 4:54 pm   #51
Turtle 
Forum Regular

Turtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be at the Toronto Wolfpack tomorrow. It could get ugly for Hemel, but that's what happens when it's semi-pro/amateur vs full-time professionals. Still, it's good to be able to get to a game here and expectations are high for the next couple of years on the journey (hopefully) to Superleague. It'll be interesting to see how the attendance reacts once the Wolfpack are getting tougher opponents.

I have to say, as an ex-season ticket holder at London Broncos from 99-2001, the craft beer served in the beer garden at TWP is so much better than the free Fosters they gave away at the Stoop occasionally. Only free can of beer I've ever thrown away!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th 2017, 5:01 pm   #52
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I'll be at the Toronto Wolfpack tomorrow. It could get ugly for Hemel, but that's what happens when it's semi-pro/amateur vs full-time professionals. Still, it's good to be able to get to a game here and expectations are high for the next couple of years on the journey (hopefully) to Superleague. It'll be interesting to see how the attendance reacts once the Wolfpack are getting tougher opponents.

I have to say, as an ex-season ticket holder at London Broncos from 99-2001, the craft beer served in the beer garden at TWP is so much better than the free Fosters they gave away at the Stoop occasionally. Only free can of beer I've ever thrown away!
I'm out of town this weekend. Made the first 5 Wolfpack games!

It's nice being able to watch Rugby and not have to leave your seat to buy a beer.

The WolfPack are doing well for attendance. I think tickets will rise next year when they move up a division so the attendance may level off even though the quality of opposition will be higher.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:12 pm   #53
BE Forum Addict

I hope the family atmosphere of RL has carried to the Canadian leagues. I never went to a game in England, but it seems a very relaxed attitude there - much less stressful than at the football games!
Old Jul 15th 2017, 11:45 am   #54
Turtle 
Forum Regular

Turtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeTurtle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
I hope the family atmosphere of RL has carried to the Canadian leagues. I never went to a game in England, but it seems a very relaxed attitude there - much less stressful than at the football games!
And in spades, Gordon. Toronto seems to be going all out to attract families and make it a real social occasion. The half-time hot dog gun is becoming legendary, especially with some of the travelling fans (yes, we've had a few over). The players meet all the fans after the game, signing autographs, chatting, happily taking selfies etc. I've been going to football & rugby back home since my first game in 1968 and sports here since 2003 and I tell you, I've really never seen anything like this level of approachability from a professional team. From the CEO on down. I really hope this venture succeeds because it has huge potential for both the city of Toronto and the game of rugby league back home.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th 2017, 5:01 am   #55
BE Forum Addict

A question for younger readers of this thread... Under what circumstances are there two referees on the field at the same time? I've noticed it (on TV) only once in a while, and I wondered. I couldn't see any value in it; there were still a few refereeing mistakes. Tonight (my time) it happened at an NRL game - Melbourne v Canberra. Also - a follow-up question - which ref is responsible for what?
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:19 pm   #56
Just Joined

DrDogbert is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
A question for younger readers of this thread... Under what circumstances are there two referees on the field at the same time? I've noticed it (on TV) only once in a while, and I wondered. I couldn't see any value in it; there were still a few refereeing mistakes. Tonight (my time) it happened at an NRL game - Melbourne v Canberra. Also - a follow-up question - which ref is responsible for what?
It’s an NRL thing which they piloted a few years ago and really liked for some reason. In Super League they don’t have the money for as many full time referees so they just stick with the blind one in the middle and the clueless on occasionally on control of a video.
DrDogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:22 pm   #57
Just Joined

DrDogbert is an unknown quantity at this point

Being from St Helens originally I have to say I miss being able to watch the games but I did find myself glued to the twitter updates to see they could win against Cas in what sounded like a tremendous game.

Here’s hoping for a Cas vs Hull final as I won’t care who wins that one, it will just be good to see a new name on the winners list
DrDogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:03 pm   #58
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDogbert View Post
It’s an NRL thing which they piloted a few years ago and really liked for some reason. In Super League they don’t have the money for as many full time referees so they just stick with the blind one in the middle and the clueless on occasionally on control of a video.
Thanks for the smile I got when reading your explanation. And I have to say that the refereeing standard is not too bad. They really do try hard to get it right, with the video ref and all. (And getting sponsorship from Specsavers was a coup and a half!)
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:32 pm   #59
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDogbert View Post
Being from St Helens originally I have to say I miss being able to watch the games but I did find myself glued to the twitter updates to see they could win against Cas in what sounded like a tremendous game.

Here’s hoping for a Cas vs Hull final as I won’t care who wins that one, it will just be good to see a new name on the winners list
My TV package here in the Caribbean carries quite a lot of rugby league (from both the Super League + the Cups and the NRL) on the Sky Sports channel. It also carries AFL games and (mostly) European League football. RL is the only one I bother to watch. Yesterday I watched the fabulous game in which Gale's extra-point won in overtime - after the first two drop kicks had failed. Today Leeds v HullFC was nearly as good.

Tell me: how much does the average First Division club player get paid in England? It can't be very much, surely.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 1:56 pm   #60
The Curry Monster

Alex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yesterday I watched the fabulous game in which Gale's extra-point won in overtime - after the first two drop kicks had failed. Today Leeds v HullFC was nearly as good..
That has to be one of the best games that I have seen in a long time. Thrilling last 10 mins when Saints looked dead and buried. I actually felt just a bit sorry for them but they did give away a silly penalty to allow Cas to level the score. I am sat here watching the second semi Leeds v Hull. Its going to be quite the Grand Final this year

I am also looking forward to watching the NRL Grand Final tomorrow. The Cowboys could be one of the biggest upsets in history if they are able to beat Melbourne. As much as I enjoy watching Melbourne play as they are the best in the business currently I would love to see the Cowboys pinch it.

I must admit that I have not really watched the Wolfpack much as it gets a bit boring watching them paste amateur teams every week. They will have better tests next year and of course I would love to see them in Super League.
Alex2201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room