Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:54 pm   #31
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby League

Some pretty scrappy play, in the first half. Two knock-ons in the play-the-ball by the same player. Cripes. An even game, except for the break-away try. I expect each team will get a serious talking-to from thei coach in the dressing-room.
Gordon Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th 2016, 8:09 pm   #32
The Curry Monster

Alex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts exactly, I think that Warrington need to keep hold of the ball and try to complete a few sets to build on.
Alex2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th 2016, 8:38 pm   #33
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

An apology from me, Alex. Not having any dog in the fight, I watched for the quality of the game only. And it was just too bad to bother with, so I switched off about twenty minutes from full time. For two top teams to play such rubbish was extremely disappointing. Hope the next game is better.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 3:58 am   #34
BE Forum Addict

Just watched (from earlier today, I guess) a super game between Leigh and Salford, with Leigh winning by six points. VERY close until the last minute or so. Lovely to see.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 1:58 am   #35
BE Forum Addict

I just watched the test between Australia and New Zealand. A bit of a thrashing, and I have to remind myself that League is only NZ's second footballing code, while it's Australia's first or maybe second. I was surprised to see this match being played in Perth, WA, in front of a fairly big crowd. I take it that the NRL has really expanded since I left the country. Good to see.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 1:58 am   #36
BE Forum Addict

A good game between England and New Zealand in the Four Nations. NZ won by one point, which made for an exciting finish. It may well turn out to be the closest game in the tournament. Earlier in the week, the Australia v Scotland game was no fun at all! I suppose all the Scottish players play in the English league, but maybe not enough of them. Down in Malta, the commentators told us, Wales were playing Italy to see who will be the fourth team next time.

To make the games closer, the organisers ought to think about breaking Australia into "States of Origin". After all, I can remember when there was a Great Britain team. One toured Australia in 1958, and I was lucky enough to catch one of the Tests, live, in Brisbane. Here's a report of it from The Independent. It really was as dramatic as reported there.
Great Sporting Moments: Australia 18 Great Britain 25, Brisbane, 1958 | The Independent

If you Google "Battle of Brisbane rugby league", you'll see other reports. It was one hell of a match.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 3:35 am   #37
BE Forum Addict

I see that the English Rugby League season starts on Thursday. Can somebody tell me what time it is televised, in England? I'm on American ET here, so I can probably add five hours to the English kickoff time. Thanks.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 3:43 am   #38
BE Forum Addict

Just watched Warrington thrash Brisbane in some international club championship I'd never heard of. Or maybe it's just open to British and Australasian clubs. Warrington started strong and won slowing up.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 1:02 am   #39
BE Forum Addict

And another thrashing tonight: Cronulla cleaned up by Wigan in the same tournament as yesterday. Fun for me to watch, though, after too many months without RL.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:21 am   #40
BE Forum Addict

A cracker of a match, Castleford beating Warrington, played at a cracking pace. RL is a much faster game than it used to be when I was growing up: gosh, they're all so fit! Was anybody else watching?
Old Mar 9th 2017, 6:05 pm   #41
The Curry Monster

Alex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
A cracker of a match, Castleford beating Warrington, played at a cracking pace. RL is a much faster game than it used to be when I was growing up: gosh, they're all so fit! Was anybody else watching?
Hello mate,

Obviously I was not particularly happy with the result but Cas were the better and in my opinion the best team so far this year. I saw them destroy Leeds last week and was less than optimistic about getting a result. I agree they play at a breathtaking pace. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain this level of performance over the season.

Massive game for Warrington tonight against Wigan as we find ourselves bottom with no points.

The Super League v NRL is arranged on a friendly basis as the NRL refuse to get involved so its between the top clubs that want to partake. They were discussing the Toronto expansion team and were pondering over expanding into other cities as the NRL don't seem that interested. Adelaide and Perth being the obvious 2 choices. Interesting times ahead as the game becomes wider reaching.

I caught a couple of games from the NRL last week. I loved the freak try that North Queensland scored in golden point to win the game. I don't like Canberra for no reason other than their awful snot green shirts
Old Apr 6th 2017, 7:51 pm   #42
BE Forum Addict

Half-time as I type this, watching on the box Wigan v Castleford***. A beautifully flowing game: tries by Gale and Escare, and one I missed early on by Castleford. I don't have a dog in the fight, so may the best team win. Lovely stuff!
*** It's probably from yesterday, but I'm grateful for anything, in this RL desert!
Old Apr 11th 2017, 12:36 pm   #43
Just Joined

SThomasUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Any Leigh Centurion fans on here?
SThomasUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th 2017, 7:22 pm   #44
The Curry Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
Half-time as I type this, watching on the box Wigan v Castleford***. A beautifully flowing game: tries by Gale and Escare, and one I missed early on by Castleford. I don't have a dog in the fight, so may the best team win. Lovely stuff!
*** It's probably from yesterday, but I'm grateful for anything, in this RL desert!
Agree it was lovely stuff

I think that Cas are the real deal this year. Nice to see as this has been a few years in the building.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 7:26 pm   #45
The Curry Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SThomasUK View Post
Any Leigh Centurion fans on here?
Its a bit thin on the ground in here mate. Just me and Gordon. Leigh have started well this year and should be fine. Of course I wasnt happy with our (Wire) performance against you but you were good value for the win. Currently sat here watching Widnes v Warrington and looking forward to the Easter weekend Derbies

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room