Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Old Apr 28th 2016, 11:40 pm   #16
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby League

A Canadian team is reported as joining League 1 of the British RL.
Toronto Wolfpack to enter League One next season, RFL announces | Sport | The Guardian

And, there is a thread in the Maple Leaf forum of the Canada section. Too lowly to ever make it onto the Sky Sports TV I watch on ESPN on Thursdays and Fridays, but still - it's a start!
Gordon Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th 2016, 6:29 pm   #17
The Curry Monster

Alex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post

I prefer to watch Union myself .

Is that why you had to leave St Helens???
Alex2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th 2016, 6:33 pm   #18
The Curry Monster

Alex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
A Canadian team is reported as joining League 1 of the British RL.
Toronto Wolfpack to enter League One next season, RFL announces | Sport | The Guardian

And, there is a thread in the Maple Leaf forum of the Canada section. Too lowly to ever make it onto the Sky Sports TV I watch on ESPN on Thursdays and Fridays, but still - it's a start!
This is great for the sport and I really think that this could be a start of being able to really get the sport off the ground here in Canada. What is really impressive is the personnel that they have off the pitch. They really seem to have a good solid set up there. Good luck to them... I feel a road trip coming on

I have also noticed how well Toulouse are progressing. Lessons seem to have been well learned after PSG failed.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 6:47 pm   #19
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this Wiki page:
Wikipedia (Links) Wikipedia (Links)

I'm amazed at how many places League is played - 35 ranked countries and about as many off-chart ones. Union was played at the boarding school I went to in Brisbane, but most of us boys followed the professional League. On one memorable occasion a group of us were hauled over the coals for exhibiting bad sportsmanship when we roared approval while watching a school match against another school, when the visitors' kicker missed a penalty goal. What we didn't ever dare tell our headmaster is that we were actually listening on the radio to a Test Match against Great Britain (as it then was), and our cheer was for an Australian try. Safer to be had up for being bad sports than for following the fortunes of the rival code!
Old May 1st 2016, 7:47 am   #20
Somewhat confused!
Premium Member

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2201 View Post

Is that why you had to leave St Helens???
You've found me out . Going back for a few days next month, trying to find a suitable disguise so they don't kick me out again!
Old May 20th 2016, 12:12 am   #21
BE Forum Addict

I've just watched a terrific game, with Hull FC v Wigan - featuring one of those amazing wingers' tries that would never have been allowed in the days before instant-replay. Older BE members will know what I mean - when the winger flies in three feet from the ground with his whole body outside the field of play except for his arm holding the ball, which neatly places it over the line. Wonderful to watch. (The game itself was probably from a couple of days ago; I have to wait till Sky Sports gives the tape to ESPN in the US.)

30-16 the score.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 4:06 am   #22
BE Forum Addict

Watching Rugby League on the telly (here in the Caribbean, thank you ESPN) has enlarged my vocabulary, which is nice. "Thurston grubbered for Gagai to reach it over the goal-line" (that is, he kicked the ball along the ground); and "It's the first time Salford have been nilled since 2004" (that is, held scoreless).

Always fun to find new words!
Old Jul 16th 2016, 1:01 am   #23
BE Forum Addict

Also, watching the Super Eights on Sky (via Fox Sports) teaches me more Oop-North expressions. Today's game introduced me to a new one, when one commentator said to his mate, "He did that quicker than you can butter your bread, Eddie!" Fabulous!
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 6:58 pm   #24
The Curry Monster

Sounds like Mike Stevo Stephenson

Btw Super 8s have not started yet - Final round of 1st phase is this weekend

I really like this format, hard to believe that both Leeds and Huddersfield are in the middle 8s after last season!!
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 8:01 pm   #25
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Btw Super 8s have not started yet - Final round of 1st phase is this weekend
OK. I love watching the game, but have no favourites. I have a soft spot for the Froggies, and for the underdogs on most other occasions. Where I am, we get Fox Sports, which shows matches from England and Australia a few days after they've been played.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 12:40 am   #26
BE Forum Addict

Alex. I've just watched the Cup semi-final between Hull FC and Wigan. No doubt it was actually played some days ago, but what a fine game it was! Did you see it? Anybody's game up till the last 20 seconds.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:18 pm   #27
The Curry Monster

Yep I saw that - fine Rugby on display and both teams were equally deserving. Credit to Hull for coming through. I was called into work on Saturday so missed Warrington thrashing Wakefield. Really looking forward to the final. I need to catch up with Canterbury v St George which I recorded last week.

I have just settled down on the sofa at the end of my working week that began Saturday with a Pint and waiting for Warrington v Saint Helens to kick of the Super 8s. This could be a thriller....

COME ON YOU WIRE!!!

Rugby League-download.jpg
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:33 pm   #28
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
I have just settled down on the sofa at the end of my working week that began Saturday with a Pint and waiting for Warrington v Saint Helens to kick of the Super 8s. This could be a thriller....
I'm glad you reminded me to switch on the telly. So now I'll be watching it with you. Nice. I don't care who wins - sorry! - as long as it's a good game.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:45 pm   #29
The Curry Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
I'm glad you reminded me to switch on the telly. So now I'll be watching it with you. Nice. I don't care who wins - sorry! - as long as it's a good game.

I am of course biased but I am also hoping for a good game. Saints are a decent outfit and certainly should not be underestimated. I am always happy when we win but if they lose then all I want to see a decent performance and effort from the lads.... may the best team win.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 8:03 pm   #30
BE Forum Addict

Always a fantastic atmosphere at RL games! I've never been to a game in England. One of these days, if I live long enough...!

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room