Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:28 am   #1
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rugby League

Is anybody on BE interested in Rugby League? I've just discovered that the ESPN 2nd channel carries club games from Australia and England. I've been without for decades, so imagine my pleasure! The rules have changed since I was a boy, but it's still a wonderful spectacle.
Gordon Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th 2014, 10:55 am   #2
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby League

Dammit. Thought this was going to be some expert trolling. This thread should have a first post reading as follows:

.....isn't a sport.

Oh well.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:05 pm   #3
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
.....isn't a sport.
Well, the violence is more sustained in "footie" than in football, it's true, but there is probably less malice. Broken backs are rarer, and biting. And what kind of "sport" is it that allows players to dive theatrically to the ground without contact? Dear oh dear!
Old Jul 8th 2014, 12:21 pm   #4
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
Well, the violence is more sustained in "footie" than in football, it's true, but there is probably less malice. Broken backs are rarer, and biting. And what kind of "sport" is it that allows players to dive theatrically to the ground without contact? Dear oh dear!
Poofball is a shower of shit when it comes to the theatrics, I agree.

BUT, let's face it, there is only one type of Rugby.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:20 pm   #5
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
BUT, let's face it, there is only one type of Rugby.
Yeah. I'm prejudiced, because I like American Football, and League is a better (faster) version of that. I went to a boarding school that played Union, but we used to play League in pick-up games.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:25 am   #6
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Quote:
Yeah. I'm prejudiced, because I like American Football, and League is a better (faster) version of that. I went to a boarding school that played Union, but we used to play League in pick-up games.
Weirdly, when I stopped playing Rugby I ended up playing American Football. Absolutely loved it.

League was a 'treat' for us at school to play during summer camps. Backs loved it and got to run around but us forwards enjoyed it too, got to play with the ball a bit more.

I just can't stand watching it.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 7:20 pm   #7
The Curry Monster

Alex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond repute

Love RL. Wire fan. Really peed off that the Sportsnet World here in Canada does not seem to be covering Super League this year. Previous years we got the Thurs and Fri night game live plus the challenge cup games.
Alex2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd 2015, 5:05 am   #8
BE Forum Addict

In June last year I wrote a short blog on Rugby League. I took the opportunity to reminisce about a fantastic "test" match I saw when I was a lad in 1958. As below. You can find reports of it on Google by searching for "Battle of Brisbane'. Be sure to get the right one. Not the 1932 match - I'm not that old - and not the skirmishes between Australian and American troops during WWII. (I wasn't there for that, either!)

My proud boast is that I was present at “the Battle of Brisbane” second Test Match in 1958, when Great Britain beat Australia. The GB captain broke his forearm three minutes after the start, and kept playing with his arm hanging loose from the shoulder, packing down in the scrums, tackling and passing as best he could. No substitutes allowed in those days. Four other British players were damaged during the game; only some chap with a broken collar-bone went off. I don’t remember much about the game, but the captain’s ridiculous bravery is a very vivid memory for me.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 10:10 pm   #9
BE Forum Addict

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Origin-2 game from Melbourne last night - too sleepy to stay awake for the rest. An amazing crowd (90,000-odd) at the MCG, for a city that is not exactly the throbbing heart of the NRL. Was anybody there, from this list?
Old Jun 19th 2015, 3:01 pm   #10
The Curry Monster

Alex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex2201 has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt catch any of the origin games but I have started watching the NRL on TV. I have started to follow Canterbury Bulldogs. NRL is great to watch and really enjoy the open flow of the games. The games seem to be really well attended. I was listening to the BBC Rugby League podcast and they were talking about how to improve the Super League attendances and one of the suggestions was getting rid of the Thursday night game and going to just Friday and Sunday. This would help people wanting to attend and also not clash with Football.

I watch Warringtons games online. Not as good as tv but better than nothing.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 6:07 pm   #11
BE Forum Addict

Hmmm. Not many Northerners here on BE, it seems.

Last night I watched a wonderful game between Widnes and Wigan. I don't know how many days ago it was played, but I don't really care. One of the most exciting match I've seen in a while. I always cheer for the underdog, so I was glad to see Widnes come out on top. Did anybody else watch it, from BE?
Old Mar 18th 2016, 6:12 pm   #12
The Curry Monster

I am just watching it now Widnes have made a great start to the season and I am surprised that they beat Wigan at the DW. I dont think that they will win the league but look good for the super 8s.

I actually think that it will be Warringtons year (I might be biased come on you wire!!)
Old Mar 28th 2016, 4:05 am   #13
BE Forum Addict

I'm fascinated by the changes in RL rules since I used to watch it in Toowoomba fifty years ago. Then, there was scope for backs who were light and fast; now, they're all man-mountains, pretty much. The old-time backs just wouldn't make the teams today. Then, there was no limit to the number of tackles. So some teams played all heavyweights. But they weren't fast, so they wouldn't make today's teams either.

One of my favourite memories is of a try against South Sydney that began behind our goal-line and after twenty or maybe even thirty clean passes (not out-of-the-tackle "offloads") ended with our fullback touching down at the other end. Magic! That sort of thing just wouldn't happen these days.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 9:50 pm   #14
BE Forum Addict

Just watched a lovely defensive battle between Melbourne and Canterbury - Monday afternoon my time, played Monday night Eastern Australia time. On Saturday I watched a couple of English games.

I'm still undecided as to whether the six-tackle rule is good for the game or not. Back when I used to watch it in Oz there were fullback kicking-duels, which aren't practical today. Hmmm.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 11:40 pm   #15
Somewhat confused!
Premium Member

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hmmm. Not many Northerners here on BE, it seems.
I'm from St.Helens (unfortunately!) and have never been to see the Saints play despite having lived not too far from the old Knowsley Road ground. Did go to the new ground in April 2014 but that was to celebrate my Dad's 80th birthday!

I went to school with Kel Coslett's daughter and Geoff Pimblett's daughter. I'd forgotten that until now.

I prefer to watch Union myself .

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room