Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Closed Thread

Old Jul 21st 2016, 11:12 pm   #1
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rio Olympics without any Russians

http://www.rt.com/op-edge/352515-rio...sia-ban-putin/

This article speculates what the future of the Olympics might be, if the entire Russian team is banned. And wonders why all US cyclists weren't banned after the Lance Armstrong fiasco. I myself don't think it would be much of a loss if the Olympics were permanently cancelled. Anybody else?
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:06 am   #2
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rio Olympics without any Russians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
http://www.rt.com/op-edge/352515-rio...sia-ban-putin/

This article speculates what the future of the Olympics might be, if the entire Russian team is banned. And wonders why all US cyclists weren't banned after the Lance Armstrong fiasco. I myself don't think it would be much of a loss if the Olympics were permanently cancelled. Anybody else?
You clearly don't work in sport, advertising or media.

All of them need the Olympics to make money.

Some events I like and some I don't.

It has definitely got too big with too many sports.

It was better when it was amateurs.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:33 am   #3
Fair and balanced
Premium Member

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

1980 and 1984 survived.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:45 am   #4
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Some events I like and some I don't.
I don't find Olympic events any better than those of the various world-championships or even club matches. We all have our favourite sports, and our favourite clubs, and the Olympics is excessively tribal, in my view. I get irritated hearing the same old anthems time after time, when the big, rich, nations win event after event. I would prefer it if each athlete competed in his or her own name, instead of his or her nation.

We've all been shocked by the corruption endemic in FIFA, and the Olympics are probably equally corrupt.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 11:03 am   #5
Bipat 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't find Olympic events any better than those of the various world-championships or even club matches. We all have our favourite sports, and our favourite clubs, and the Olympics is excessively tribal, in my view. I get irritated hearing the same old anthems time after time, when the big, rich, nations win event after event. I would prefer it if each athlete competed in his or her own name, instead of his or her nation.

We've all been shocked by the corruption endemic in FIFA, and the Olympics are probably equally corrupt.
I would agree with much of the above posts.
However if athletes competed in their own name; only those who could afford the fare and accommodation costs would be able to compete.
The poorer countries only fund athletes because of National prestige.
The competitors from such countries would never be able to take part without funding.
I believe the Olympics can lead to international bonding if only between the athletes themselves. (1936-- Jessie Owens/Luz long)!! Also people are proud to represent their country.
I would would think it should be reduced to just athletics/gymnastics? Certainly no team sports.
The opening ceremonies to just a basic march of athletes.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 4:58 pm   #6
Fair and balanced
Premium Member

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I would agree with much of the above posts.
However if athletes competed in their own name; only those who could afford the fare and accommodation costs would be able to compete.
The poorer countries only fund athletes because of National prestige.
The competitors from such countries would never be able to take part without funding.
I believe the Olympics can lead to international bonding if only between the athletes themselves. (1936-- Jessie Owens/Luz long)!! Also people are proud to represent their country.
I would would think it should be reduced to just athletics/gymnastics? Certainly no team sports.
The opening ceremonies to just a basic march of athletes.
The Olympics works when we get to see sports we would not normally see. When an Olympic Gold is seen, even if only by the layman, as more important than that sports own world championship, which the layperson probably has no knowledge of. This includes athletics and gymnastics, but also lots of team sports. volleyball, handball, water polo, rowing, hockey.
It is the established profession games that devalue, counter intuitively, the Olympics, both the team sports like soccer and the individual sports like golf and tennis.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 10:05 pm   #7
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between Armstrong and the Russian teams are that with Armstrong it was a single person flouting the rules, with the Russians ther has been collusion between their doping agency and some athletes leading to them being given clear test results when they had been taking banned substances. The Russian Olympic committee knew of this, and encouraged it. So a totally different scenario.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:39 am   #8
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

The Olympic authorities bottled it. I love the Olympics, it results in me watching a much wider range of sports than I would at any other time and throws up some real hero/heroine stories every time. I see no reason to add the big money sports (for example football and golf) though. The Olympics works best when it is the pinnacle of an athletes career.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 8:18 am   #9
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoldfields View Post
The Olympic authorities bottled it. I love the Olympics, it results in me watching a much wider range of sports than I would at any other time and throws up some real hero/heroine stories every time. I see no reason to add the big money sports (for example football and golf) though. The Olympics works best when it is the pinnacle of an athletes career.
Football has been an Olympic sport since 1900, so not a recent addition, however it was just open to amateur players, recently that has been removed, really because of two things, The Eastern Block countries had no professional players so other countries were at a disadvantage, and in any case competitors from all disciplines in the Olympics are now professional. Tennis, one of the higher paid sports, has been around for a few years as an Olympic sport. The only requirement for the Olympics is that the athlete can't be paid just to take part, they can get expenses, but there are no payouts for winning.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 4:37 am   #10
BE Forum Addict

http://www.rt.com/sport/364558-wada-rio-2016-failure/
It's a bit late to be talking about the failure of the drug-testing program at the Rio Olympics, but it does rather highlight the hypocrisy of banning Russian athletes for not passing enough drug tests! It seems to me that the Olympics could benefit from the FIFA treatment. I wonder if that will ever happen.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 5:23 am   #11
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
.... the Olympics is excessively tribal, in my view. I get irritated hearing the same old anthems time after time, when the big, rich, nations win event after event. .....
I found it interesting to calculate medals per capita, which gave an interesting twist to the medals table, with the US at around 38 medals per hundred million of population (phmp), the Chinese way down with only 5 medals phmp (of course India was much lower still), but then the UK was up around 103 medals phmp, whereas France only had 64 medals mhmp and Germany only 53 medals phmp, however Australia had 126 medals phmp, but NZ with 18 medals but less than 5million population had 402 medals phmp!

The UK also became the first ever Olympic host nation to go to the next Oympics after the one they had hosted and increase their medal haul compared to their home Olympics!
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 10:24 pm   #12
Hiro11 
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I found it interesting to calculate medals per capita, which gave an interesting twist to the medals table, with the US at around 38 medals per hundred million of population (phmp), the Chinese way down with only 5 medals phmp (of course India was much lower still), but then the UK was up around 103 medals phmp, whereas France only had 64 medals mhmp and Germany only 53 medals phmp, however Australia had 126 medals phmp, but NZ with 18 medals but less than 5million population had 402 medals phmp!

The UK also became the first ever Olympic host nation to go to the next Oympics after the one they had hosted and increase their medal haul compared to their home Olympics!
This is also a meaningless stat as certain sports allow you to win lots of medals (swimming, track) while others provide only a few medal opportunities despite huge effort (basketball). So, a country could be excellent at lots of sports but bad at swimming and perform poorly. A large reason why the US does well because it has by far the best swimming team in the world. The same holds true for the UK and track cycling. The whole idea of a medal count is silly propaganda and should be ignored.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 10:37 pm   #13
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
This is also a meaningless stat as certain sports allow you to win lots of medals (swimming, track) while others provide only a few medal opportunities despite huge effort (basketball). So, a country could be excellent at lots of sports but bad at swimming and perform poorly. A large reason why the US does well because it has by far the best swimming team in the world. The same holds true for the UK and track cycling. The whole idea of a medal count is silly propaganda and should be ignored.
If swimming hadn't been included, which country would have finished on top of the medals table?
Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:09 pm   #14
BE Forum Addict

Somebody was telling me the reason why Mexico has the worst swimming team in the world. Apparently, all the country's best swimmers have crossed to the USA...
Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:50 pm   #15
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Quote:
Somebody was telling me the reason why Mexico has the worst swimming team in the world. Apparently, all the country's best swimmers have crossed to the USA. ....
I thought that was Cuba? At least it was the last time I heard that joke!

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room