Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Closed Thread

Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:53 pm   #91
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premier League 2016-2017

I have to say that if I were a Spurs fan, I would HATE the Chavs with a passion unrivaled by anyone else...THEIR effort in that Spurs game at the Bridge was bordering on obscene... if they had put the same effort into every game all season (especially Eden Hazard) they would have retained their title!!
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:22 pm   #92
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Well it's pretty obvious, we fell apart at the Chelsea game and never recovered from that, the last 3 games were awful and like watching a different side from the rest of the season, some would say we reverted to type, I would say it was a lack of maturity in the squad and knackered players that caused a collapse in those last 3 games.
Don't get all serious and make me agree with you (which I do)...I wanted fun.

Anyway. Tottenham in that game against Chelsea lost their heads and seemed intent on playing the men (Costa etc) instead of trying to win the game. A real shame but such is. They'll learn a hell of a lot from it.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 2:41 pm   #93
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
I have to say that if I were a Spurs fan, I would HATE the Chavs with a passion unrivaled by anyone else...THEIR effort in that Spurs game at the Bridge was bordering on obscene... if they had put the same effort into every game all season (especially Eden Hazard) they would have retained their title!!
Oh I absolutely do hate them, more than Man U and Arsenal put together, after that game. The build up to that game from the Chav fans and players was ridiculous, Hazard being the biggest numpty of all. All the 'we're going to single handedly stop Spurs from winning the title', what a crock of shit. As we all know, we're Spurs, we're more than capable of cocking things up ourselves thank you very much, without the stupid Chav's help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Don't get all serious and make me agree with you (which I do)...I wanted fun.

Anyway. Tottenham in that game against Chelsea lost their heads and seemed intent on playing the men (Costa etc) instead of trying to win the game. A real shame but such is. They'll learn a hell of a lot from it.
It was my attempt at serious football talk, to avoid being classed as a 'soft Southern shandy drinker trying to be a Cockney wide boy.'
Old Jul 25th 2016, 3:03 pm   #94
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh I absolutely do hate them, more than Man U and Arsenal put together, after that game. The build up to that game from the Chav fans and players was ridiculous, Hazard being the biggest numpty of all. All the 'we're going to single handedly stop Spurs from winning the title', what a crock of shit. As we all know, we're Spurs, we're more than capable of cocking things up ourselves thank you very much, without the stupid Chav's help

It was my attempt at serious football talk, to avoid being classed as a 'soft Southern shandy drinker trying to be a Cockney wide boy.'
Now THAT I would pay to watch....!!
Old Jul 25th 2016, 3:09 pm   #95
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I actually do hate Chelsea with a passion.

A nothing club who would have done a Leeds United if the Oligarch hadn't shown up to launder money.

It wasn't so much the effort of their team that annoyed me as we were 2-0 up and should have put the game to bed. It was the lack of professionalism of their players openly saying they wanted Leicester to win the league and would try harder in the Spurs game. That was a big kicker in the title race as Spurs have rivalries where teams turn it on and step it up and Leicester don't.

Leicester were magnificent all season. Spurs definitely in the end lacked the temperament.

I am looking forward to this season immensely. I think it will be between Spurs and Arsenal.

I'm amazed no one has signed Mahrez yet. If 42 million is the price then it is a bargain.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 3:32 pm   #96
Late In May In 1999...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post

A nothing club who would have done a Leeds United if the Oligarch hadn't shown up to launder money.

It wasn't so much the effort of their team that annoyed me as we were 2-0 up and should have put the game to bed. It was the lack of professionalism of their players openly saying they wanted Leicester to win the league and would try harder in the Spurs game. That was a big kicker in the title race as Spurs have rivalries where teams turn it on and step it up and Leicester don't.

Leicester were magnificent all season. Spurs definitely in the end lacked the temperament.

I am looking forward to this season immensely. I think it will be between Spurs and Arsenal.

I'm amazed no one has signed Mahrez yet. If 42 million is the price then it is a bargain.
I agree James...I think Arsenal will be the team to beat. They SHOULD have won it last season (they had no new players to try to integrate, Cech being their only big summer signing, and they took 6 points off Leicester, the only club to do so, and should have wrapped up the title after winning that game at the Emirates), and I think they have already made one of the best signings of the summer in Xhaka, who looks a wonderful player in the middle of the park. IF they sign another top quality striker to put pressure on Giroud, they should definitely go close.

Spurs were a good side last season, no reason to think they won't be good again this year, though I still think they are too reliant on Kane in the same manner that the Arse rely too much on Giroud.

United & citeh have it all to prove. The new signings need to 'hit the ground running', and in United's case our defence is anything but reliable, and Pogba signing or not won't change that as hopefully JM would be playing him as an attacking midfielder (his best position IMO) anyway.... Matuidi signing for us might be a better bet to help out the defence. Having Luke Shaw back fit will be HUGE (the lad is easily the best LB in England, in my opinion, and was sorely missed both by United AND England in the summer), but I'd be happy with a top 3 finish this season and a return to CL football next season with a serious push for the title.

The Chavs will be hard to beat, and I wouldn't rule them out of a title push- Conte is a top manager, a very likeable man (unfortunate, since he's managing that shower of shit...) and he'll get them competitive in no time.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 4:08 pm   #97
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

United & citeh have it all to prove. The new signings need to 'hit the ground running', and in United's case our defence is anything but reliable, and Pogba signing or not won't change that as hopefully JM would be playing him as an attacking midfielder (his best position IMO) anyway.... Matuidi signing for us might be a better bet to help out the defence. Having Luke Shaw back fit will be HUGE (the lad is easily the best LB in England, in my opinion, and was sorely missed both by United AND England in the summer), but I'd be happy with a top 3 finish this season and a return to CL football next season with a serious push for the title.

The Chavs will be hard to beat, and I wouldn't rule them out of a title push- Conte is a top manager, a very likeable man (unfortunate, since he's managing that shower of shit...) and he'll get them competitive in no time.
United, City and Chelsea will all need a season to imbed their new playing styles and for their new managers to rebuild and assess their squads properly.

If one of them emerges as a contender it obviously wouldn't be a surprise but I think we'll be in for some shocks initially and despite three very high profile appointments one of them will not work out (with no one specific in mind at this stage).

Liverpool and Chelsea have no European football so will have fresher squads which could assist their campaigns. Often a Champions League spot is claimed by teams who haven't had that European burden during the season.

Leicester have lost Kante and Mahrez is likely on the move so I'd be surprised if they challenge for the Champions League spots this year.

Last edited by JamesM; Jul 25th 2016 at 4:18 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 6:15 pm   #98
zargof Male
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

So Moyes in at Sunlun and Martinez favourite at 'Ull. Former Everton managers doing alright it seems.

I'd say I feel sorry for Hull, but I don't because I don't like them.

Moyes will do fine for Sunlun, keep them up and get them close to midtable in a couple of years.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 6:24 pm   #99
Late In May In 1999...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zargof View Post
So Moyes in at Sunlun and Martinez favourite at 'Ull. Former Everton managers doing alright it seems.

I'd say I feel sorry for Hull, but I don't because I don't like them.

Moyes will do fine for Sunlun, keep them up and get them close to midtable in a couple of years.
Er, BOTH will have their work cut out for them.... Sunlun may have escaped (again), but their squad is piss-poor & needs a lot of surgery, which Moyes will have to do in a very short time period....though he's a likeable fella and I hope he does well there (much as I despise them).

Martinez would have to be desperate or professionally suicidal (or both) to go to Hull City... they are relegation certainties barring a miracle, given that (apparently) Brucie quit because, amongst other things, the board wouldn't back him in the transfer market....and if Sunlun need 'surgery', Hull need a 'heart & liver transplant'....!!
Old Jul 25th 2016, 7:28 pm   #100
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now THAT I would pay to watch....!!
OK forget the 'boy'bit, but by the time I went to secondary school we had moved to Dorset, my English teacher literally begged me to play the lead role in the school's production of 'My Fair lady' as my voice was the closest thing they had in the whole school to Eliza Doolittle
Old Jul 26th 2016, 1:59 am   #101
100% chelsea

sw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud of

QUOTE=pommybird;12011636]Oh I absolutely do hate them, more than Man U and Arsenal put together, after that game. The build up to that game from the Chav fans and players was ridiculous, Hazard being the biggest numpty of all. All the 'we're going to single handedly stop Spurs from winning the title', what a crock of shit. As we all know, we're Spurs, we're more than capable of cocking things up ourselves thank you very much, without the stupid Chav's help

now! now! pommybird, there is no need for that.
Come on you spuds.

It was my attempt at serious football talk, to avoid being classed as a 'soft Southern shandy drinker trying to be a Cockney wide boy.'[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 26th 2016, 4:09 am   #102
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post

Chelsea are a bigger club than Spurs and if they decided to try harder against their local rivals can you blame them?

This is one thing about football I hate. If it was the other way round you'd be lauding it and laughing about it.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 5:18 am   #103
ededed Male
Vitriolic trajectionist

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Chelsea are a bigger club than Spurs and if they decided to try harder against their local rivals can you blame them?

This is one thing about football I hate. If it was the other way round you'd be lauding it and laughing about it.
Yeah, if it was United v the thieves I'd still be laughing now. Chelsea (Demba Ba) saved football when Gerrard went ice skating - Spurs lost their heads and couldn't beat a mid-table side, so didn't deserve to win the league.

I don't hate Chelsea. I actually feel very little for them. Sure, their fans are the most fickle, plastic cockney muppets, and without Abramovich's money laundering scheme they'd be in division 2, but hating a club like Chelsea is wasting energy. I'm still happy Leeds are nowhere near the EPL.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 1:04 pm   #104
Late In May In 1999...

It seems the Chavs have now won a 'title' after all....

Chelsea overtake Manchester United as the Premier League's most hated club - Manchester Evening News
Old Jul 26th 2016, 1:11 pm   #105
Bash the fash

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I refuse to live in the outer Hebrides.

And talking of kits, what in god's name is this?

http://e1.365dm.com/16/07/16-9/20/no...20160722164923
Bit of a return to the '90s that one, isn't it? Shades of the old Birmingham City kit there ...

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room