Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Old Oct 15th 2016, 3:47 am   #1
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default The NFL

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/clint...204942343.html

Desperately seeking a plausible reason why TV ratings are down this season... My explanation is simply that the standard of football is lower than it has been the past few years. I love watching the NFL (College games and the Canadian league, not so much), but I've found myself switching off at half time for many of them. Too many unguided rookies because of injuries to experienced players, too many sub-standard rookies, and too much stoppage for penalties. I have to add that some of the results have been affected more by bad umpiring decisions than by the teams' relative qualities. Any other suggestions?
Gordon Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th 2016, 4:15 am   #2
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The NFL

American football is crap?

It seems to me that three quarters of the time the players are all standing around scratching their ar§es.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 4:21 am   #3
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
American football is crap? It seems to me that three quarters of the time they're standing around scratching their ar§es.
Yes, I know. Sigh. It's sort of Rugby League in slow motion. Still and all, it's not a bad way to fill in three hours, if you've got nothing else to do. And when the standard is high, it's skillful enough. I find it more stimulating than soccer, I have to say - and that game is pretty dreadful when the standard is low, too.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 2:25 pm   #4
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Nooooooo.

This on this forum is just wrong on so many levels.
JamesM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th 2016, 2:30 pm   #5
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Nooooooo.

I hadn't even noticed what forum it was on, I just noticed it in my list of unread posts.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 3:22 pm   #6
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Nooooooo.
Embarrassing, I know. Earlier in my life, I had to confess that when I lived in Canada I used to enjoy watching ice-hockey! and I even played "curling", if that counts as a sport! Here in Cayman, I have manfully resisted watching Gaelic Football and the Australian Rules version of it. A lot of our lives as expats is wasted (!) trying to adapt to the locals' cultures, isn't it?
Old Oct 15th 2016, 3:44 pm   #7
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
..... A lot of our lives as expats is wasted (!) trying to adapt to the locals' cultures, isn't it?
NASCAR.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 3:48 pm   #8
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
NASCAR.
No, that's pretty much beyond the Pale, for me. Although... as a young man in Australia, for a time I was a regular attender at what were called "stock-car" races. NASCAR is a pale imitation, it seems to me: nowhere near enough crashes, and none of them deliberate!
Old Oct 15th 2016, 3:55 pm   #9
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Quote:
No, that's pretty much beyond the Pale, for me. Although... as a young man in Australia, for a time I was a regular attender at what were called "stock-car" races. NASCAR is a pale imitation, it seems to me: nowhere near enough crashes, and none of them deliberate!
I agree, Australian touring car races are cool, .... at least they were, but I haven't seen one in years. They used to show highlights of the Bathurst 1,000 on the Eurosports cable channel in the UK.

German DTM races are/were even better!
Old Oct 15th 2016, 9:47 pm   #10
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Embarrassing, I know. Earlier in my life, I had to confess that when I lived in Canada I used to enjoy watching ice-hockey! and I even played "curling", if that counts as a sport! Here in Cayman, I have manfully resisted watching Gaelic Football and the Australian Rules version of it. A lot of our lives as expats is wasted (!) trying to adapt to the locals' cultures, isn't it?
Some one once suggest doing Fantasy Ice Hockey in the Maple Leaf. It was nipped in the bud real fast.

I will hand the NFL this. They are the only major league in the western world who haven't over saturated their fixture lists yet. All the other sports play an excessive amount of games.

I worked at a company where we did a Suicide Pool on NFL that was a bit of fun but I do find it hard to watch.
JamesM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th 2016, 12:05 am   #11
BE Forum Addict

I've just watched (on the telly) the team I like to cheer for (Green Bay) get thrashed by the team I never like to cheer for (Dallas). A nothing game from the GB side, but what a revelation the rookie QB is for Dallas. Amazingly talented (Zak Prescott by name), to the point where the pundits are saying Tony Romo might never get his place back, when he's fit again. Well worth watching a Dallas game, just to see this young chap in action! For those who like NFL games, that is...
Old Oct 17th 2016, 12:56 am   #12
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

I don't know a lot about the NFL, but I know what çräp looks like. ..... The Panthers lost again today!
Old Oct 17th 2016, 3:56 pm   #13
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst the NFL could never compare in any shape or form with The Beautiful Game, I do like to watch the occasional game, albeit the coverage is ruined by the frequent breaks in play (which translates to: 'ad break' in the US), which is highly frustrating.

I'm proud to say that I, the resident Brit, am the office Champion in Fantasy NFL, kicked all the Yanks' butts last season (largely because I had BOTH Steelers' Roethlisberger & Antonio Brown in my team!), and am looking like I'll go 4-2 this season after the Cardinals beat the Jets tonight, as long as Fitzgerald scores some points.

Whilst I have an interest in the NFL, it doesn't even register compared with PROPER football, and hopefully tonight I can tune in to NBCSN to watch United kick some scouse butt...
Cainess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:52 am   #14
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm in the minority of actually enjoying watching NFL games, although with a 2 year old running round the house, the days of sitting on my arse and watching football for 8 hours on a Sunday are gone. NFL is a bit shit for me this year, because my NFL team, the 49ers, are mirroring my football team, Aston Villa
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 4:47 am   #15
ededed Male
Vitriolic trajectionist

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markonline1 View Post
I guess I'm in the minority of actually enjoying watching NFL games, although with a 2 year old running round the house, the days of sitting on my arse and watching football for 8 hours on a Sunday are gone. NFL is a bit shit for me this year, because my NFL team, the 49ers, are mirroring my football team, Aston Villa
Don't worry, Steve Bruce will save you
ededed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room