Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

View Poll Results: Did Lance Armstrong cheat?
Hell yeah! 11 33.33%
Probably, no smoke without fire 7 21.21%
Theres really no evidence, innocent until proven guilty 5 15.15%
Cleaner than the driven snow. 1 3.03%
It was ages ago, who gives a monkeys 4 12.12%
Its a witch hunt, leave the guy alone 8 24.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Aug 31st 2012, 7:11 am   #16
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lance Armstrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautier1992 View Post
Lance Armstrong was/is a cheat..if he had cycled honestly he would have done more for caner sufferers than any man alive ..and I do believe he was good enough to win clean,cycling is only beginning to recover from what armstrong/contador and others did to the sport...
Links please!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:34 pm   #17
BE Forum Addict

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

It's too late for me TBH, they should let it lie, it's just causing havoc to the sport.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:16 pm   #18
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Armstrong's apparently stepping down from his charitable foundation.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:28 pm   #19
iaink 
Moderαtor Emeritus
Premium Member

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I suspect he was pushed by Nike; If the foundation wanted to keep the Nike backing he needed to step down. Its basically a consequence of Nikes decision to sever links with Lance.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:29 pm   #20
BE Forum Addict

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

It's still to late for me, we are supposed to believe drug taking cheats who are doing deals to save their own necks, not a chance I believe them, could it be a case of the old green eyed monster, he was winning all the time, so it must have rankled with them, they just grassed on each other, it probably took just one, to say something and then the others followed like Lemmings. Personally I think they all cheat, even Armstrong but its too little too late, the sport, is a joke and always has been.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:46 pm   #21
iaink 
Moderαtor Emeritus
Premium Member

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull. View Post
It's still to late for me, we are supposed to believe drug taking cheats who are doing deals to save their own necks, not a chance I believe them, could it be a case of the old green eyed monster, he was winning all the time, so it must have rankled with them, they just grassed on each other, it probably took just one, to say something and then the others followed like Lemmings. Personally I think they all cheat, even Armstrong but its too little too late, the sport, is a joke and always has been.
Read the report, there are far too many incidences for this to be simply sour grapes.

Not all the evidence was from people doing deals to save their own neck. There are plenty of examples in the report from people who were either behind the scenes, or who were not suspected of doping.

I think the majority probably were cheating, the repeated theme was that most of those confessing doped because they could not keep up with riders in the peleton that they used to beat and that they now knew to be doping. The real eye opener was how easy it was for them to dodge the testing, or take IV fluids to lower hematocrit levels. Elevated levels didnt even warrant a ban from the sport anyway, you just couldnt race that day.

I think it important to expose the truth as best we can as it reflects a dark period for the sport. The level of brazen lying and misinformation, the bullying and threatening, all that threatens the future of the sport if it cant all be put to bed and measures taken to prevent it happening again. Given the widespread systemic deception, and the implication that the governing body somehow turned a blind eye, its essential that the truth be pursued.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 17th 2012 at 6:54 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:49 pm   #22
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaink View Post
Read the report, there are far too many incidences for this to be simply sour grapes.

Not all the evidence was from people doing deals to save their own neck. There are plenty of examples in the report from people who were either behind the scenes, or who were not suspected of doping.

I think the majority probably were cheating, the repeated theme was that most of those confessing doped because they could not keep up with riders in the peleton that they used to beat and that they now knew to be doping. The real eye opener was how easy it was for them to dodge the testing, or take IV fluids to lower hematocrit levels. Elevated levels didnt even warrant a ban from the sport anyway, you just couldnt race that day.

You might be right, but they failed to catch him and there will always be some doubt because he never failed a drug test and is still pleading his innocence. I only commented because donkeys years ago I said they were all on something, like most of the Olympic athletes and I was proved right, the tests were inadequate and loads got away with it, both sports are a joke to me.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:55 pm   #23
iaink 
Moderαtor Emeritus
Premium Member

Quote:
You might be right, but they failed to catch him and there will always be some doubt because he never failed a drug test and is still pleading his innocence. I only commented because donkeys years ago I said they were all on something, like most of the Olympic athletes and I was proved right, the tests were inadequate and loads got away with it, both sports are a joke to me.
He allegedly did fail a test, he is said to have managed to get the UCI to make it go away. One eye opener in the report was just how easy it was for everyone to evade the testing, so no failed tests in itself is not really powerful an argument.

I think it important to expose the truth as best we can as it reflects a dark period for the sport. The level of brazen lying and misinformation, the bullying and threatening, all that threatens the future of the sport if it cant all be put to bed and measures taken to prevent it happening again. Given the widespread systemic deception, and the implication that the governing body somehow turned a blind eye, its essential that the truth be pursued.

The absolutely gobsmacking thing is that despite the fact that so many people knew and could have grassed him up, he still felt confident enough to be so outspoken in his denials, that I suspect is why the public feels so cheated.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 17th 2012 at 7:00 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 8:27 pm   #24
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
He allegedly did fail a test, he is said to have managed to get the UCI to make it go away. One eye opener in the report was just how easy it was for everyone to evade the testing, so no failed tests in itself is not really powerful an argument.

The absolutely gobsmacking thing is that despite the fact that so many people knew and could have grassed him up, he still felt confident enough to be so outspoken in his denials, that I suspect is why the public feels so cheated.

I like your phrase, it is important to expose the truth as best we can, well if that's the best truth they can offer, they shouldn't have bothered, just my opinion of course.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 8:35 pm   #25
iaink 
Moderαtor Emeritus
Premium Member

Quote:
I like your phrase, it is important to expose the truth as best we can, well if that's the best truth they can offer, they shouldn't have bothered, just my opinion of course.
I dont think the remit of the USADA included uncovering corruption within the UCI.

With the UCI seemingly having a vested interest in not finding any doping by Lance Armstrong its quite impressive that the USADA has managed to blow the lid off this. It remains to be seen if a wider investigation of what was going on within the UCI will ever happen, thats where the real digging needs to be done. Kind of like investigating the FA regarding Hillsborough.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:07 pm   #26
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
I dont think the remit of the USADA included uncovering corruption within the UCI.

With the UCI seemingly having a vested interest in not finding any doping by Lance Armstrong its quite impressive that the USADA has managed to blow the lid off this. It remains to be seen if a wider investigation of what was going on within the UCI will ever happen, thats where the real digging needs to be done. Kind of like investigating the FA regarding Hillsborough.

Shame they don't have any power .......... To take his millions of dollars off him, I bet he is really gutted, losing his titles, he will be crying all the way to the bank.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:19 pm   #27
N1cky Female
Premium Member

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Shame they don't have any power .......... To take his millions of dollars off him, I bet he is really gutted, losing his titles, he will be crying all the way to the bank.
The insurance company who had to pay out his bonus for winning the 7th tour have already asked for the money back, with a deadline of next Monday. This is an interesting one, as they originally refused to pay out as they suspected he had won by taking drugs, this went to court, where Armstrong testified that he had not taken drugs. So they have him for lying in a court of law, there are rumours that someone will go after him for perjury which could mean a jail sentence.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:23 pm   #28
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
The insurance company who had to pay out his bonus for winning the 7th tour have already asked for the money back, with a deadline of next Monday. This is an interesting one, as they originally refused to pay out as they suspected he had won by taking drugs, this went to court, where Armstrong testified that he had not taken drugs. So they have him for lying in a court of law, there are rumours that someone will go after him for perjury which could mean a jail sentence.

That sounds more like it, hang him high.
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room