Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Old Oct 19th 2015, 7:19 am   #16
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How I Cured My Slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Great post. I've been struggling recently. Lost a club length in every department. What used to be a perfect pitching wedge now needs a 9. Can't figure it out, have tried different things myself but recently decided that rather than spending a fortune on a round every weekend I'm going to get some lessons and hit the range. It's the only way.

Problem is similar to you though mate, timing. I'm swamped until end of the year. Thinking to just coast through, playing a bit less until January and then hit it hard with a package.

Keep up the good work though.
Was out on the course yesterday, although we only managed 10 holes before the heavens opened. I play with a group of colleagues who don't practice, so it's up at 6:30, leave at 7, 1 1/2 drive to the course, and straight on the first tee. So not really surprising that I duffed the first couple of drives, but the rest were ok. Hopefully next weekend will be better, and allegedly we're having an indoor tracker/big screen thingy installed at site soon, so that'll help.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 6:18 pm   #17
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Was out on the course yesterday, although we only managed 10 holes before the heavens opened. I play with a group of colleagues who don't practice, so it's up at 6:30, leave at 7, 1 1/2 drive to the course, and straight on the first tee. So not really surprising that I duffed the first couple of drives, but the rest were ok. Hopefully next weekend will be better, and allegedly we're having an indoor tracker/big screen thingy installed at site soon, so that'll help.
I hate that.

If I turn up with out any practice Im pretty much 3 over on each of the first 3 or 4 holes as my short game and drive retune.

It would be fine but usually on the back nine I have a couple of beers and my game follows a similar pattern on the last 3 or 4 holes.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th 2015, 8:31 am   #18
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
I hate that.

If I turn up with out any practice Im pretty much 3 over on each of the first 3 or 4 holes as my short game and drive retune.

It would be fine but usually on the back nine I have a couple of beers and my game follows a similar pattern on the last 3 or 4 holes.
Yeah, I especially hated it yesterday: 2 weeks since I had a lesson to change my swing, one round and no chance to practice (nearest driving range is where I play, and it'd be dark by the time I got there after work). Yesterday was dire: those few shots I had when I managed to replicate what I was taught were fine, the other 50 or so (that's excluding the putts) were awful. Will take Saturday afternoon off this week and have a few hours practice before playing on Sunday.

Colleague / playing-partner saying (several times): "You need to control your mind" didn't ****ing help much either. Bastard takes two steps backwards at the end of his swing, but still managed low 90's yesterday. Aggghhhh....
Old Oct 26th 2015, 6:15 pm   #19
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, I especially hated it yesterday: 2 weeks since I had a lesson to change my swing, one round and no chance to practice (nearest driving range is where I play, and it'd be dark by the time I got there after work). Yesterday was dire: those few shots I had when I managed to replicate what I was taught were fine, the other 50 or so (that's excluding the putts) were awful. Will take Saturday afternoon off this week and have a few hours practice before playing on Sunday.

Colleague / playing-partner saying (several times): "You need to control your mind" didn't ****ing help much either. Bastard takes two steps backwards at the end of his swing, but still managed low 90's yesterday. Aggghhhh....
I play with a couple of people like that.

One friend will say things like "We just need to keep it straight on this hole".

I've told him he should write a book of the "50 most annoying and obvious tips" you can give on a golf course.

Better to play with people who chat about other subjects and you are relaxed and can get on with it.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 3:31 am   #20
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

I managed to break 100 for the first time on Sunday! 48 on the front 9. 51 on the back 9.

It had been a tough season as I missed a month through a back injury.

However in the last 3 weeks I managed to play several rounds and also get to the range and putting green 3 times.

I am consistently getting the drives straight and just over 200 yards which helped immensely as too often my second shot has been recovery in the past.

On Sunday I found the fairway on just about everything. Putting the ball behind a tree just once.

Also only 3 putted a few times.

Still lots of improvement needed but finally feel like I am no longer a total novice after spending an absolute fortune on the game in the last 4 years.

Last edited by JamesM; Jul 12th 2016 at 3:34 am.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 6:04 am   #21
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I managed to break 100 for the first time on Sunday! 48 on the front 9. 51 on the back 9.

It had been a tough season as I missed a month through a back injury.

However in the last 3 weeks I managed to play several rounds and also get to the range and putting green 3 times.

I am consistently getting the drives straight and just over 200 yards which helped immensely as too often my second shot has been recovery in the past.

On Sunday I found the fairway on just about everything. Putting the ball behind a tree just once.

Also only 3 putted a few times.

Still lots of improvement needed but finally feel like I am no longer a total novice after spending an absolute fortune on the game in the last 4 years.
Awesome work. I remember breaking 100 and was over the moon about it. Keep it up.

Try and make those notes when playing;

Good drive, fairway.
Over the back with 8 iron
Good chip on
2 putt
etc

Really helps you know where to focus when practicing.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:36 am   #22
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

Quote:
Awesome work. I remember breaking 100 and was over the moon about it. Keep it up.

Try and make those notes when playing;

Good drive, fairway.
Over the back with 8 iron
Good chip on
2 putt
etc

Really helps you know where to focus when practicing.
Yeah.

My 5 wood was not strong which added a couple and that was annoying as it used to be my most reliable club so will be getting that out at the range.

The bunkers on this course were very inconsistent. A couple with hard sand that you could probably putt on and a couple with fluff so that made me misread a few shots which added a couple.

Chipping and putting I always need more practice. Just can't do that enough.

It's strange conditions in Canada as we've had a bit of a heat wave so the ground is harder than normal and everything is bouncing further.

Some golfers are complaining that the courses aren't watered well enough. It massively irks me as there are people in the world who don't have access to good drinking water and I feel golf really is about playing and learning the conditions..

Out of curiosity do you find that the courses in Dubai play very differently to the UK because of the varying climates?

Last edited by JamesM; Jul 14th 2016 at 2:39 am.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 5:20 am   #23
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah.

My 5 wood was not strong which added a couple and that was annoying as it used to be my most reliable club so will be getting that out at the range.

The bunkers on this course were very inconsistent. A couple with hard sand that you could probably putt on and a couple with fluff so that made me misread a few shots which added a couple.

Chipping and putting I always need more practice. Just can't do that enough.

It's strange conditions in Canada as we've had a bit of a heat wave so the ground is harder than normal and everything is bouncing further.

Some golfers are complaining that the courses aren't watered well enough. It massively irks me as there are people in the world who don't have access to good drinking water and I feel golf really is about playing and learning the conditions..

Out of curiosity do you find that the courses in Dubai play very differently to the UK because of the varying climates?
Practice. It's killer but it's what makes the difference. I don't practice anywhere near enough.

To be honest, I've only played a handful of times in the UK. I took up golf when I moved here.

The range of courses here is quite steep, from parkland 9 hole style to broad open ones to tight, water-bordered windy ones.

The UK I always found to be quite natural, just well maintained. Here the fairways are watered at least every night i guess. The greens here can be phenomenally hard and like putting on glass or quite soft. The courses go through green changes every summer / winter for the different temperatures so that adds a few weeks of shite to play with.

Can't really compare I'm afraid as haven't played much in UK, but I'd call the courses here well manicured, heavily watered but generally excellent.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:27 pm   #24
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

Quote:
Practice. It's killer but it's what makes the difference. I don't practice anywhere near enough.

To be honest, I've only played a handful of times in the UK. I took up golf when I moved here.

The range of courses here is quite steep, from parkland 9 hole style to broad open ones to tight, water-bordered windy ones.

The UK I always found to be quite natural, just well maintained. Here the fairways are watered at least every night i guess. The greens here can be phenomenally hard and like putting on glass or quite soft. The courses go through green changes every summer / winter for the different temperatures so that adds a few weeks of shite to play with.

Can't really compare I'm afraid as haven't played much in UK, but I'd call the courses here well manicured, heavily watered but generally excellent.
I was similar. Had lessons in the UK and hacked round a couple of courses but playing regularly in London was a nightmare.

The courses around Toronto are a little hit and miss. There is almost too many of them and it's easy to pick the ones that are struggling financially.

The challenge here is the downtown driving ranges have all been sold to developers now so it's getting more and more like London when you have to go further and further to practice.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:05 pm   #25
Hit 16's

Played Slaley Hall at the weekend. Priestman course was a real ball-eater. Hunting was easier and much more pleasant, despite the warnings to the opposite. Slice gone, but so had bloody everything else...
Old Jul 15th 2016, 3:59 am   #26
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

Quote:
Played Slaley Hall at the weekend. Priestman course was a real ball-eater. Hunting was easier and much more pleasant, despite the warnings to the opposite. Slice gone, but so had bloody everything else...
Never played up north. How much is a round up there?
Old Jul 16th 2016, 8:45 pm   #27
ededed Male
Vitriolic trajectionist

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Never played up north. How much is a round up there?
Scotland is the place - my membership cost me £500 and I have the choice of 2 brilliant courses. Tight and hilly but in great nick and some really interesting risk and reward holes. The stroke 1 on the main course is a pig though.

We had Monty here for a few hours for a meet and greet at work. What an absolutely top bloke.

And I don't have a slice - I have a workable fade!
ededed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 7:17 am   #28
Just Joined

SabiAhmed is an unknown quantity at this point

very useful information about golf players. Most people are interested in this game and they can get information about necessary aspects to get efficiency in this game through above conversation. I am also a golf game lover and got superb information.
SabiAhmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th 2016, 5:07 pm   #29
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

Season I think is just about over here.

It went up to 15 degrees yesterday so I snuck out and got a final round in at Royal Woodbine. It's an interesting spot to play as it's right next to the main airport and the planes descent over the golf course looking awfully close at some points.

Managed 57 on the front 9 losing 3 balls in water hazards.

Settled on the back 9 and played as well as I've ever played with 47. I managed to two put everything which made a massive difference.

Decent year. I didn't play as much as I liked which is the same every year but I broke 100 on several different courses.

Roll on next season. Time to tune up the snowboard.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 12:40 am   #30
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas came early for me yesterday when I fulfilled my dream of playing Pebble Beach! Still buzzing from it. Expensive, but worth every single penny!

Spoiler:

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room