Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 15th 2005, 4:11 am   #46
antjen 
Just me!
 
antjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 752
antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Formula 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushman
I'm not advocating a reverse grid at allI merely stated that it would make it interesting. Equating it with taking players from championship winning team isnt fair either. Making them start a goal behind would be a more accurate comparision to a reverse grid.

I agree that it's the others job to catch up but catching up and then watching positions change because of pit strategy and not overtaking is just bloody boring.
i definitly agree with that - overtaking via pit strategys is very dull!! - i want to see wheel to wheel action, seeing who has the biggest balls braking from 200 mph into some tiddly chicane

Ant
__________________
Sittin back, chillin out, taking it easy in San Francisco, sunny/foggy California

Ant
antjen is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2005, 4:38 am   #47
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjen
i definitly agree with that - overtaking via pit strategys is very dull!! - i want to see wheel to wheel action, seeing who has the biggest balls braking from 200 mph into some tiddly chicane

Ant
I think they should also emphasize the driver ability too. Take out all those hand clutches, shifter paddles on the steering wheel, pit lane speed buttons and also take out the radios.

Let's see drivers driving, manually shifting a stick and using their feet on 3 pedals, having to read pit boards and have to think for themselves instead of relying on a team of boffins doing math and then radioing them their options. No electronic gizmo's at all. It should really be about the skill of the driver and the reliability and speed of the car. I think they could lose alot of the hi tech stuff and actually improve the sport. Too many races are won by technology and not enough are won by sheer driver skill, which is what it should all be about. IMO
Rushman is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:29 pm   #48
antjen 
Just me!
 
antjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 752
antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushman
I think they should also emphasize the driver ability too. Take out all those hand clutches, shifter paddles on the steering wheel, pit lane speed buttons and also take out the radios.

Let's see drivers driving, manually shifting a stick and using their feet on 3 pedals, having to read pit boards and have to think for themselves instead of relying on a team of boffins doing math and then radioing them their options. No electronic gizmo's at all. It should really be about the skill of the driver and the reliability and speed of the car. I think they could lose alot of the hi tech stuff and actually improve the sport. Too many races are won by technology and not enough are won by sheer driver skill, which is what it should all be about. IMO
thats a tricky point, as its easier for a team to make improvements to a car by introducing new technologies, rather than telling a driver to simply improve his skills - not that im condoning the fact that at the moment, the split between car and driver is probably 80-20 and it should be more 50-50 (if possible)

Ant
__________________
Sittin back, chillin out, taking it easy in San Francisco, sunny/foggy California

Ant
antjen is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:34 pm   #49
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjen
thats a tricky point, as its easier for a team to make improvements to a car by introducing new technologies, rather than telling a driver to simply improve his skills - not that im condoning the fact that at the moment, the split between car and driver is probably 80-20 and it should be more 50-50 (if possible)

Ant
I'm reminded what Mansell said when he won the F1 title......"Anybody could drive that car....it drives itself" and that was from one of the more entertaining drivers of F1. I think if they scrapped some of the hi tech gizmo's then they might have some excitement, like the lower formula's. Head and tails infront at the moment in the entertainment stakes. IMO
Rushman is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:55 pm   #50
antjen 
Just me!
 
antjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 752
antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushman
I'm reminded what Mansell said when he won the F1 title......"Anybody could drive that car....it drives itself" and that was from one of the more entertaining drivers of F1. I think if they scrapped some of the hi tech gizmo's then they might have some excitement, like the lower formula's. Head and tails infront at the moment in the entertainment stakes. IMO
I agree - the FW14B was the idiots guide to F1 for drivers!! - a superb piece of engineering, but not that good for the sport, i think its not a bad mix of technology/driver input at the moment - the thing is, if you dumb the technology down too much, you are just making it into another 1 make sport like formula ford or champ cars etc etc, part of the spectacle of F1 is about the top car makers competing, not just the drivers!!

Ant
__________________
Sittin back, chillin out, taking it easy in San Francisco, sunny/foggy California

Ant

Last edited by antjen; Nov 15th 2005 at 2:57 pm.
antjen is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:42 pm   #51
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

I agree that it's just as much a manufacturers championship as it is a drivers championship. However, I still feel that too much emphasis is on the technology of the machines rather than the drivers natural ability.
Rushman is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2005, 5:37 am   #52
Remember
 
Desert Dweller's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: The Land of Sindbad
Posts: 1,275
Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushman
I think they should also emphasize the driver ability too. Take out all those hand clutches, shifter paddles on the steering wheel, pit lane speed buttons and also take out the radios.

Let's see drivers driving, manually shifting a stick and using their feet on 3 pedals, having to read pit boards and have to think for themselves instead of relying on a team of boffins doing math and then radioing them their options. No electronic gizmo's at all. It should really be about the skill of the driver and the reliability and speed of the car. I think they could lose alot of the hi tech stuff and actually improve the sport. Too many races are won by technology and not enough are won by sheer driver skill, which is what it should all be about. IMO
Agree that it would be better for us to watch but one of the reasons that the manufacturers are in the sport is so they can use the cars as a testing bed for their production cars. If a car owner sees the Williams team do well as a result of their technology in the car, he will be more tempted to go out and buy a bimmer.
The teams aren't as interested in entertaining us more than needs be than keeping the sponsorship money coming in so they can develop their product.
__________________
Perhaps Kellogg's should have their wrists slapped for implying that short people's only mode of transport is to ride a pet. It's not - I've seen short people driving big cars, even lorries.
Desert Dweller is offline  
Old Nov 19th 2005, 4:17 am   #53
antjen 
Just me!
 
antjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 752
antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Formula 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
Agree that it would be better for us to watch but one of the reasons that the manufacturers are in the sport is so they can use the cars as a testing bed for their production cars. If a car owner sees the Williams team do well as a result of their technology in the car, he will be more tempted to go out and buy a bimmer.
The teams aren't as interested in entertaining us more than needs be than keeping the sponsorship money coming in so they can develop their product.
i agree, the teams and manufacturers need each other - thats until the car makers decide to go it online like bmw etc etc, the days of the privateer teams are over, its too big a business to just buy a few engines, get a few sponsors and go racing, red bull is one of the few exceptions but who knows how long they will be in it!!

Ant
__________________
Sittin back, chillin out, taking it easy in San Francisco, sunny/foggy California

Ant
antjen is offline  
Old Nov 19th 2005, 4:35 am   #54
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjen
i agree, the teams and manufacturers need each other - thats until the car makers decide to go it online like bmw etc etc, the days of the privateer teams are over, its too big a business to just buy a few engines, get a few sponsors and go racing, red bull is one of the few exceptions but who knows how long they will be in it!!

Ant
Sad to know that the likes of KenTyrell, Lord Hesketh and Colin Chapman etc will never grace F1 with small teams.

I've read numerous books on the glory days and how these small teams were held together by a shoestring budget. Not really F1 related but one of the best reads I ever had was from Stirling Moss's Co driver in the Mille Miglia. If you get the chance you have to read it, it's a must for any petrol head.
Rushman is offline  
Old Nov 19th 2005, 6:16 am   #55
antjen 
Just me!
 
antjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 752
antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushman
Sad to know that the likes of KenTyrell, Lord Hesketh and Colin Chapman etc will never grace F1 with small teams.

I've read numerous books on the glory days and how these small teams were held together by a shoestring budget. Not really F1 related but one of the best reads I ever had was from Stirling Moss's Co driver in the Mille Miglia. If you get the chance you have to read it, it's a must for any petrol head.
unfortunatly there are few real 'characters' left in F1 - everyone is too busy being politicaly correct or watching their words for fear of upsetting sponsors/car makers etc etc

has anyone read martin brundles new book?

Ant
__________________
Sittin back, chillin out, taking it easy in San Francisco, sunny/foggy California

Ant
antjen is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2005, 7:08 pm   #56
antjen 
Just me!
 
antjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 752
antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

So what do people think of this new 'radical' twin rear wing design - apparently to give more overtaking back to the sport??

myself i think its a poor way to go about it - it looks awful, sure overtaking is near impossible currently in F1 but, shouldnt overtaking be a skill - rather than anyone being able to do it?? - lets not go the route of Champ cars or IRL where theres so much overtaking it negates from the sport!

Ant
__________________
Sittin back, chillin out, taking it easy in San Francisco, sunny/foggy California

Ant
antjen is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2005, 7:17 pm   #57
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjen
So what do people think of this new 'radical' twin rear wing design - apparently to give more overtaking back to the sport??

myself i think its a poor way to go about it - it looks awful, sure overtaking is near impossible currently in F1 but, shouldnt overtaking be a skill - rather than anyone being able to do it?? - lets not go the route of Champ cars or IRL where theres so much overtaking it negates from the sport!

Ant
It only negates it on the Ovals. Can't beat loads of place swapping through over taking on "proper' circuits whatever the formula or series.

Haven't seen the new wing though, got a link?
Rushman is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2005, 7:27 pm   #58
antjen 
Just me!
 
antjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 752
antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushman
It only negates it on the Ovals. Can't beat loads of place swapping through over taking on "proper' circuits whatever the formula or series.

Haven't seen the new wing though, got a link?
what do you think? - this is off Autosport's web page.

Ant

__________________
Sittin back, chillin out, taking it easy in San Francisco, sunny/foggy California

Ant
antjen is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2005, 7:39 pm   #59
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjen
what do you think? - this is off Autosport's web page.

Ant

yep!! That's ugly, but I dare say the consensus was the same when the full wing was introduced. I suppose we'll get used to it. Somethings got to change though, F1 has been like a parade for too long now.
Rushman is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:29 pm   #60
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Lord Lionheart's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Santa Monica,CA from Birmingham, UK
Posts: 18,402
Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjen
what do you think? - this is off Autosport's web page.

Ant

Isn't watching cars go round and round a track for hours, culminating with a a German inevitably winning boring enough without watching a grey car do it. I think they should paint the car a nice bright color instead of that dull grey
Lord Lionheart is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 9:11 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com