Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Old Jul 27th 2017, 10:50 am   #1846
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Formula 1 fans?

Spa in 1958. (25 mins).

https://vimeo.com/14563952
Nutek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:09 pm   #1847
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Spa in 1958. (25 mins).

All members of the FIA should be tied into their seats and forced to watch that!

IMO Formula one has been on a down-hill course almost continously since shortly after then. I think the advent of the first wing-cars in the 1960s was the first serious step onto the long and slippery slope that led to the mess we have today.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 27th 2017 at 3:15 pm.
Pulaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:13 pm   #1848
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
All members of the FIA should be tied into their seats and forced to watch that!

IMO Formula one has been on a down-hill course almost continously since shortly after then. I think the advent of the first wing-cars in the 1960s was the first serious step onto the long and slippery slope that led to the mess we have today.
Lotus had the right idea. Theirs would spontaneously fall off.
Nutek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th 2017, 7:35 am   #1849
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Spa in 1958. (25 mins).

Watched it (well, what I presume was the same on Youtube since I can't access vimeo here: 10 mins intro in wonderfully clipped English, farmers moving hale bales to mark the course, verges being scythed, torrential rain on the last day of qualifying, and shots from various vantage points during the race; I particularly liked the fat controller with 3 stop watches, Belgians channeling Toulouse-Lautrec, race cars driving through town on the morning of the race, big bottles of rafia-wrapped wine in the hayfields, 50's sartorial elegance...)

Ok, the have-a-go attitude of the drivers was impressive, the whole laid-back approach to safety was both scary and satisfyingly simple, lap times were quite astonishing (120mph+ for Fangio and Moss)...

But I don't think I could have sat through the entire 3 hours of racing, even with footage from every corner. For its time I suppose it was a spectacle, but with 13 cars (and the Mercedes with power and reliability advantage) it was hardly high drama. 1958 was a great year (the best of the century), but give me modern F1 any day.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 7:23 pm   #1850
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, Hungary was paint. Shame the last 20 laps didn't properly develop.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 8:17 pm   #1851
Premium Member

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Spa in 1958. (25 mins).

One of the mechanics pushing the Vanwall out of the pits was my Uncle.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 6:22 am   #1852
Hit 16's

Good analysis of the remaining 7 races:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...bastian-vettel
Old Sep 15th 2017, 3:59 pm   #1853
BE Enthusiast

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

McLaren-Honda split after three years of troubled partnership - BBC Sport

McLaren finally dump Honda in favour of Renault engines.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th 2017, 12:23 am   #1854
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Formula 1 fans?

Toro Rosso a Honda works team, who'd have thought it?
Old Sep 17th 2017, 3:22 pm   #1855
Hostage Negotiator
Premium Member

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see Vettel being the principal victim of his own aggressiveness, just a shame he took so many innocents out with him though. The net result is that Hamilton has a pretty unassailable lead now - it would have been better to see him win a wet race on his own merits though, without help from Vettel.
InVinoVeritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th 2017, 8:46 pm   #1856
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
Good to see Vettel being the principal victim of his own aggressiveness, just a shame he took so many innocents out with him though. The net result is that Hamilton has a pretty unassailable lead now - it would have been better to see him win a wet race on his own merits though, without help from Vettel.
watching the start via the camera was interesting, he just weaved through the carnage in front of him, very skilful driving.
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th 2017, 9:40 pm   #1857
Bob Male
Not so super superslob
Super Moderator

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

A mate just fixed his car exhaust using left over, fancy cable ties from a F1 car.

Probably the most valuable part in his car now

Immigrants should be tarred and feathered....Yes, I like it kinky.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th 2017, 1:37 pm   #1858
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Chances of a Red Bull tangle, probably with each other?
Old Oct 7th 2017, 6:31 am   #1859
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

For us on this side of the pond, I see NBC has given up its rights to F1. ESPN take over from next year. Hopefully means no more of those 2 relics Matchett and Hobbes!
Old Oct 7th 2017, 8:33 am   #1860
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Hamilton on pole but will be interesting to see race pace as the prancing hourses will be easier on tyre wear methinks
Garbatellamike is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room