Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Closed Thread

Old Oct 28th 2012, 8:17 pm   #1
Just Joined

Robin1810 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English football v Spanish football what is the big secret?

Hello, I am a third year sports journalism student. For my final project, I am writing a series of articles on Spanish football comparing it to English football. The articles will be considering how Spanish clubs exploit home grown talent, compared to English teams. I will also look at the recession, has it in fact helped Spanish clubs in their search for local talent rather than making huge transfer signings. I will also be looking at the recent quote by Angel Villa Llona, president of the Spanish FA who said “there is no racism in Spanish football" finding out if it’s true and comparing it to the levels of racism in English football.

At the moment I am only doing the market research to find out if there is an interest in these sort of articles from both Spanish and English readers but I’d appreciate any opinions that would help in my research. I have already emailed several editors to ask for their opinions but I also need to know if you would be interested in these articles. I am aware that this is not a football forum but I thought since the majority of you are living in Spain, you may have watched local level football. You may have been to matches where you have witnessed racism. Any opinions will be appreciated. There is also a questionnaire which I’d be grateful if you filled in, it’s only 10 questions http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L9RJCYJ.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 8:18 pm   #2
Just Joined

Robin1810 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English football v Spanish football what is the big secret?

A previous comment from a deleted thread
This is an interesting topic and needs a thread of its own really.

There is most definitely racism in Spanish football. The worst offenders are the Ultras Sur, a group of Real Madrid followers. They have a well documented lists of racist songs and chants - you can find them on YouTube. In the past they have even been condemned for waving swastikas at matches, despite attempts to ban them, but they are still a strong presence. In last year's SuperCopa matches between RM and Barcelona there were chants of "mono" (monkey) and monkey noises made (by both sides) at two dark-skinned Brazilian players, Marcelo who plays for Madrid, and Dani Alves who plays for Barça.

There are nationalist rivalries too of course, with Basque and Catalan teams, but that's a different issue.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:19 am   #3
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin1810 View Post

There is most definitely racism in Spanish football. The worst offenders are the Ultras Sur, a group of Real Madrid followers. They have a well documented lists of racist songs and chants - you can find them on YouTube. In the past they have even been condemned for waving swastikas at matches, despite attempts to ban them, but they are still a strong presence. In last year's SuperCopa matches between RM and Barcelona there were chants of "mono" (monkey) and monkey noises made (by both sides) at two dark-skinned Brazilian players, Marcelo who plays for Madrid, and Dani Alves who plays for Barça.

There are nationalist rivalries too of course, with Basque and Catalan teams, but that's a different issue.
You would be far better posting this in the Spain forums, contrary to your comment the majority on here are NOT from Spain, but from all over the world, and I suspect the people who post predominantly in the Spain forums do NOT visit the Locker Room, they usually start their own threads in their own forums.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 3:45 am   #4
Just Joined

oatrick is an unknown quantity at this point

The big secret:Painstaking hard work.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:07 am   #5
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatrick View Post
The big secret:Painstaking hard work.
No, I've not decided to sign a pro contract yet....that's the big secret.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:07 am   #6
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
You would be far better posting this in the Spain forums, contrary to your comment the majority on here are NOT from Spain, ......
I've never been to Spain!
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:06 am   #7
Just Joined

arsk5995_11ik is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin1810 View Post

interesting...
Old Apr 13th 2013, 6:24 pm   #8
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsk5995_11ik View Post
interesting...
Insightful.

Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room