Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Old May 27th 2014, 9:05 pm   #1
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cricket

Don't any of you people take an interest in cricket? Sheesh! I have always been a wretched player, but have spent many enjoyable hours on the field in various parts of the world - Cayman Islands, New Hebrides (now Vanuatu), USA, England, even Corfu in Greece. And I can happily waste days watching test matches on the telly.

Living in the West Indies now, it's sometimes a struggle to keep my interest up, when our local team isn't quite world standard. But what goes around, comes around, I guess. One day, we shall rise again!
Gordon Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th 2014, 4:02 am   #2
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
Don't any of you people take an interest in cricket? Sheesh! I have always been a wretched player, but have spent many enjoyable hours on the field in various parts of the world - Cayman Islands, New Hebrides (now Vanuatu), USA, England, even Corfu in Greece.
An old manager of mine, whose family was from Corfu had great pleasure in telling me the pitch in Corfu was the only one in Greece. So of course, I had to drag my ex wife all the way into Corfu town to visit it when we were holidaying on the other side of the island. Now living in the US, and having lost access to sky go since my mum gave up her sky subscription, I now get to watch precisely zero cricket!
Old May 28th 2014, 4:20 am   #3
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Mark. There's a blog-post of mine that I put up in October 2012 called "When the clock struck four", the second half of which is about cricket in Corfu. It might amuse you for a moment. According to Google there are now TWO cricket pitches on Corfu, and others on the mainland. Greece is actually in Division 157 or something like that, in the ICC Associates' league, so nowadays there must be players from outside Corfu. When I played there in 1975, Greece's national representatives were spread among the local teams.

Did you catch any cricket games in the Town Square? Unfortunately, Corfu's reputation as a visitors' paradise has gone to rack and ruin these days, because of English drunks. Pity.

I'll "see" you on Cricinfo some time!
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:53 am   #4
BE Forum Addict

It's been an interesting Test series between NZ and WI - just finished today with a close win by NZ. WI s-l-o-w-l-y making its way back into the big league. Still a long way to go, though.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 11:30 am   #5
tammi 

tammi is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a very sad news for the cricketing fraternity. Our deepest sympathies to Philip's family and friends at this incredibly sad time. RIP, Hughes!
tammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th 2014, 4:45 pm   #6
BE Forum Addict

An excellent result for the Kiwis - thrashing Pakistan by an innings! The new spinner getting ten wickets in the match; Daniel Vettori's last match. All the news at cricinfo.com
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 4:51 pm   #7
BE Forum Addict

Nearly an upset by Afghanistan last night on my telly. I guess they were thinking that if Ireland could do it, they could. Fun to watch. Also, seeing SA get beaten was a bonus! Come on, the minnows!
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 3:45 pm   #8
BE Forum Addict

More recent comments are on the "Poll" thread, for those interested. There have been some pretty good performances over the course of the competition. My tip is for an Australia-SA final, with Australia to win a close game.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 4:08 pm   #9
BE Forum Addict

Onto Test cricket, now - which is an entirely different game! Australia killing the WI at the moment, though delayed a bit by a good 8th-innings partnership - second-highest of the match so far. The Aust batting looked fragile. Smith scored more than the other ten batsmen combined. The Ashes might not be as one-sided as has been forecast.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 6:12 pm   #10
BE Forum Addict

The next generation of test cricketers is coming along nicely, it seems. Here's a fabulous Instagram shot of Brad Haddin's son, illustrating the virtue of keeping one's legs together. Cute, or what?
http://instagram.com/p/35nDibIe2o/
Old Jul 8th 2015, 3:16 pm   #11
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have a live feed for the Ashes????
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th 2015, 7:08 pm   #12
BE Forum Addict

The following is an extract from Cricinfo's report on the first innings of the current Test Match: "Had Cricket Australia taken a last-minute choice to replace the entire team with plush toy platypuses, they still could have scored 60. And probably almost made it to lunch."

Not a bad summary, probably.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 8:33 pm   #13
BE Forum Addict

Phone goes in the Australian dressing room.
"Can I speak to Michael Clarke please ?"
"He's just gone out to bat"
"O.K. I'll hold "
Old Sep 7th 2015, 4:38 am   #14
BE Forum Addict

Has anybody here seen the video of Ben Stokes's dismissal for "obstructing the field" in today's ODI? He was clearly "out", but comments on Cricinfo are - regrettably - divided according to tribal loyalties.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 1:22 pm   #15
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Brian Close has died.. RIP

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brian-clos...1.html#Hrqqinm
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room