Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:55 pm   #1411
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
One of these?

He could have his pick of the litter...
no I had Anthony Joshua in mind
Garbatellamike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:19 pm   #1412
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
no I had Anthony Joshua in mind
I don't think Joshua's that desperate for cash........
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:27 pm   #1413
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think Joshua's that desperate for cash........
I was hoping he would do it for the satisfaction rather than money
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:33 pm   #1414
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was hoping he would do it for the satisfaction rather than money
I can think of a few opposition players who'd punch Rio for the satisfaction.

I doubt it'll be a real top-name professional boxer unless the pro pulls their punches. And Rio hasn't been granted a boxing licence yet.....
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:33 pm   #1415
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
I can think of a few opposition players who'd punch Rio for the satisfaction.

I doubt it'll be a real top-name professional boxer unless the pro pulls their punches. And Rio hasn't been granted a boxing licence yet.....
unfortunately you are almost certain to be 100% correct
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 2:38 pm   #1416
zargof Male
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Anyway - Zargie what the heck is happening with your lot? I thought you'd had a great transfer window and would be right up there?
Our transfer window was good except we didn't get the striker we needed to replace Lukaku, which is a joke because it's not like everyone didn't know he was leaving back in March when he wouldn't sign a new contract. It seems like the club put all their eggs in the Giroud basket, and when that went tits up they couldn't get anyone else. And it seems like they did try, even bidding something like 60M for Costa, but all the deals fell through because it was last minute.

But the problems are worse than that. We also need another CB as Jags and Williams are slow and shite. It may be Holgate in the future, but he's still a kid and can't be playing every game. We also have the Spurs problem of buying a ton of midfielders and trying to fit them all in to the team when a) they all want to play in the same position and b) they need to adapt to the team and the league.

Also Koeman is stubborn and wants to play with his shiny new toys instead of playing Davies, DCL and Niasse who have been the only players showing some creativity. He seems to be slowly playing them more, but still has no idea of putting together a team that works as a team and also shows creativity. I don't know if he has the wherewithal to get it right, but I don't see much signs of improvement so far. I know he did a decent job at Southampton, but I don't see it right now.

But it's not just Koeman, the players aren't playing well either. For example, Gana was awesome last season, but this season he has been shite, same with Schneiderlin and others. Plus, the fact that when you get on a losing streak you lose confidence. So there is no confidence, no creativity and all the new players are taking time to adapt, plus a manager who doesn't seem to have any ideas to fix the situation. But apart from that it's all going great.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 2:48 pm   #1417
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Our transfer window was good except we didn't get the striker we needed to replace Lukaku, which is a joke because it's not like everyone didn't know he was leaving back in March when he wouldn't sign a new contract. It seems like the club put all their eggs in the Giroud basket, and when that went tits up they couldn't get anyone else. And it seems like they did try, even bidding something like 60M for Costa, but all the deals fell through because it was last minute.

But the problems are worse than that. We also need another CB as Jags and Williams are slow and shite. It may be Holgate in the future, but he's still a kid and can't be playing every game. We also have the Spurs problem of buying a ton of midfielders and trying to fit them all in to the team when a) they all want to play in the same position and b) they need to adapt to the team and the league.

Also Koeman is stubborn and wants to play with his shiny new toys instead of playing Davies, DCL and Niasse who have been the only players showing some creativity. He seems to be slowly playing them more, but still has no idea of putting together a team that works as a team and also shows creativity. I don't know if he has the wherewithal to get it right, but I don't see much signs of improvement so far. I know he did a decent job at Southampton, but I don't see it right now.

But it's not just Koeman, the players aren't playing well either. For example, Gana was awesome last season, but this season he has been shite, same with Schneiderlin and others. Plus, the fact that when you get on a losing streak you lose confidence. So there is no confidence, no creativity and all the new players are taking time to adapt, plus a manager who doesn't seem to have any ideas to fix the situation. But apart from that it's all going great.
Your midfield this weekend made Barkley look world class. Why wasn't he playing, is he injured or is it fistycuffs with Koeman?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 2:50 pm   #1418
zargof Male
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
Your midfield this weekend made Barkley look world class. Why wasn't he playing, is he injured or is it fistycuffs with Koeman?
He's supposedly injured, but I don't know if he would be playing even he was fit.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:13 pm   #1419
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's supposedly injured, but I don't know if he would be playing even he was fit.
If he was fit, would you want him starting?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:26 pm   #1420
zargof Male
I love my brick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
If he was fit, would you want him starting?
Probably yes, he does bring some creativity. But not if he was playing instead of Tom Davies.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:26 pm   #1421
zargof Male
I love my brick!

Oh and does anyone know why Barca were playing at the Etihad yesterday?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:29 pm   #1422
ededed Male
Vitriolic trajectionist

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh and does anyone know why Barca were playing at the Etihad yesterday?
Trouble on the streets of Stockport due to the independence referendum. So the club and the cops decided to play in front of a City-style “packed stadium”...
ededed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:41 pm   #1423
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Watched the Chelsea-citeh game, then the Dippers' game at Newcastle...it was like watching two different sports...

Newcastle are, at best, a competent team, but at no stage did Liverpool dominate them like I expected...lots of possession, yes, but all in pretty harmless areas, and I can't recall Elliot having to make any brilliant saves that weren't as a direct result of his own defenders making elemental errors to present the visiting strikers (Sturridge in particular) with chances...

Yes, the Geordies' equaliser was a result of poor communication between Lovren & Matip, who left a huge amount of space between them for Shelvey to play in Joselu (still required Matip to kick the ball against Joselu's standing leg and divert it past Migs!! ), but aside from that the Dippers defence had little to do, so the result isn't really on them this time.

Of course, they'll turn up for their 'big one' in two weeks time, and if they beat us then they'll be right up in the title race again.... Mind you, the thought of Gomez trying to stifle Tony Martial makes me all warm & fuzzy....

The game at Stamford Bridge highlighted that, in all reality, everyone else (probably including United) are playing to hang onto citeh's coat-tails at the moment... de Bruyne was unreal.

And to think I dropped de Bruyne for Mane on Friday......stupid, stupid Cainess. Almost as stupid as dropping Harry Kane at the end of August.... won't be winning Fantasy league this year either...

Everton? Stunned that Tom Davies isn't the first name on the team-sheet; was easily the most troublesome player for us at OT, and then Koeman took him off after 65 minutes...?! Not getting a striker is a huge mistake, as is then pinning your hopes on Rooney, who cannot operate as a main striker anymore. Sigurdsson has been very quiet so far, and Williams has been shown up as error-prone under pressure. I can't believe they'd sack Koeman after letting him spend so much during the summer...surely he needs the January window to try to sort it out? That said, even in early autumn, mid-table looks like the best they can hope for unless they turn it around very quickly.
Cainess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:45 pm   #1424
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyway - I note that Palace are only one loss away from the worst start to a top flight season since 1900 - one more defeat draws them level with Liverpool.

They still have away to go to match the worst team ever (playing in the 2nd tier) who managed to lose their first 12 games in 1931.... they even lost at home to Saints in front of a massive crowd of 3507. I can't remember who the team were but I think it was just outside Manchester somewhere
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:01 pm   #1425
Grace and gratitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ededed View Post
Trouble on the streets of Stockport due to the independence referendum. So the club and the cops decided to play in front of a City-style “packed stadium”...
At least the Etihad has a bit of atmosphere and Blue Moon sing songs, did anyone watch the Arse match yesterday? It was deathly quiet, at one point one of the fans dropped a pin and you could hear it.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room