Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Old Apr 16th 2018, 2:02 pm   #4216
zargof Male
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
I did the sums and realized not even City could muck it up from here....
You'll still odds on to be relegated next season though right?
Old Apr 16th 2018, 2:04 pm   #4217
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ededed View Post
I may look (and sound) like an idiot, but there is no way I was traveling to OT to watch us at home to West Brom. I watched the game at home, screaming abuse at the ref, Lingard, Martial, Rashford, Pogba and Lindelof. West Brom are the worst team in England they made us look ordinary yesterday. We’ve spent £300m. How we’re 2nd is an indictment on the rest of the league. Yet I will be at Wembley on Saturday, dreaming of an unlikely win.

God help me.
So I take it you aint coming down to the South coast to see your team (or me ) on Wednesday?

As for Saturday, don't worry, it's Spurs, we're bound to **** it all up.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 2:37 pm   #4218
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Garbatellamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th 2018, 2:40 pm   #4219
ededed Male
“Smart” - Scamp.

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
we are fine with ffp now having made a profit for last 3 years
Ah - Etihad paying £80m a year for naming rights and shirt sponsorship. Not sure that will stand up to too much scrutiny. “Profits” which come from advertising paid for by your owners - I think they call that wooden dollars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Evens, not odds on, assuming they can add 6 or 7 players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
So I take it you aint coming down to the South coast to see your team (or me ) on Wednesday?

As for Saturday, don't worry, it's Spurs, we're bound to **** it all up.
Sadly not - why don’t you come to Wembley and I’ll buy you a tia Maria and a chicken Bhuna? I’d be there if it wasn’t a Wednesday night.....and you’d need to **** it up on a previously unseen scale not to beat United right now.
ededed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th 2018, 4:36 pm   #4220
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ah - Etihad paying £80m a year for naming rights and shirt sponsorship. Not sure that will stand up to too much scrutiny. “Profits” which come from advertising paid for by your owners - I think they call that wooden dollars...
you can always hope
Old Apr 16th 2018, 7:24 pm   #4221
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Mike. As much as it hurts to admit it, the best team (by a long, long way) have won the title; the rest should be embarrassed to be so far behind citeh at this stage; in reality it's been a processional since 10th December, not "if" but "when" citeh became Champions.

I've already made my views on our manager clear, so no point going back over that, though even I didn't expect the spineless drivel served up to those paying good money to watch yesterday at OT.... the final irony being that Jay Rod is a self-confessed United fan...so a United fan has scored the goal which finally won the title for citeh...

The season can't end soon enough. Before it does, I expect Spurs to thrash us out of the last chance of silverware at the weekend, followed by the scallies putting a final 'halo' on a runt of a season by stealing a 6th European Cup, just to make our misery complete.

Hate football?? Sometimes that doesn't even begin to cover it....
Cainess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th 2018, 7:31 pm   #4222
Dunroaming back in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainess View Post
Congrats Mike. As much as it hurts to admit it, the best team (by a long, long way) have won the title; the rest should be embarrassed to be so far behind citeh at this stage; in reality it's been a processional since 10th December, not "if" but "when" citeh became Champions.

I've already made my views on our manager clear, so no point going back over that, though even I didn't expect the spineless drivel served up to those paying good money to watch yesterday at OT.... the final irony being that Jay Rod is a self-confessed United fan...so a United fan has scored the goal which finally won the title for citeh...

The season can't end soon enough. Before it does, I expect Spurs to thrash us out of the last chance of silverware at the weekend, followed by the scallies putting a final 'halo' on a runt of a season by stealing a 6th European Cup, just to make our misery complete.

Hate football?? Sometimes that doesn't even begin to cover it....
thanks

I also note your U23s got relegated yesterday, which is another symptom of the Mourinho way methinks. Jose will have to win the FA Cup to keep the job methinks?
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:29 pm   #4223
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
thanks

I also note your U23s got relegated yesterday, which is another symptom of the Mourinho way methinks. Jose will have to win the FA Cup to keep the job methinks?
Ah, but our U18s beat their crosstown rivals to win their Division title (something your seniors couldn't manage last Saturday... ) at the weekend, so perhaps it's not all doom & gloom...

Jose will have some decent kids to sell on as he buys some mercenaries in their place....
Cainess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th 2018, 5:01 am   #4224
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Chompy.

United fans moaning about clubs having more money than them. Mental.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 6:18 am   #4225
ededed Male
“Smart” - Scamp.

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Chompy.

United fans moaning about clubs having more money than them. Mental.
Hardly. Money is killing football. It’s killing United. But if the British Government gave United £1bn people would go nuts. But it happens at City and everyone thinks Pep is a genius.

The PL is doomed.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 6:48 am   #4226
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hardly. Money is killing football. It’s killing United. But if the British Government gave United £1bn people would go nuts. But it happens at City and everyone thinks Pep is a genius.

The PL is doomed.
Good grief the bitterness continues.

United happened to be one of the best clubs when the premier league era came to life and TV money started changing the shape of the game. It gave them overnight fame and they were smart enough to bleed the punters globally to enrich the club. A different sort of luck to City being bought by the Al Nahyan family but luck all the same.

You're the highest revenue generators in football.
United generate almost twice the revenue that Tottenham.
United generate almost four times the revenue of Roma.

United fans moaning about other teams spending money yet have never stopped spending either.

Last 5 seasons net spend (in euros):
City 707m
United 567m

Nobody else comes close:
Chelsea 130m
Liverpool 107m
Arsenal 245m

It's like me moaning that other clubs are selling players to Liverpool.

So stop it. Stop being a whining United fan and appreciate the success that being the right quality team at the right time in the right place with the right people to bleed the opportunity has afforded you.

Note: Agree that the PL is doomed. When we go down, it'll be awful.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 7:39 am   #4227
ededed Male
“Smart” - Scamp.

Just realised where you live. You can’t criticise the regime! Sorry.... have I blown your cover as someone who sucks the cock of the chief Sheik? Shit, didn’t mean to drop you in it.

For the avoidance of doubt. The investment from the UAE is beyond reproach, and good for world football.

(Think we got away with it, sorry Scamp!)
Old Apr 17th 2018, 8:08 am   #4228
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Quote:
Just realised where you live. You can’t criticise the regime! Sorry.... have I blown your cover as someone who sucks the cock of the chief Sheik? Shit, didn’t mean to drop you in it.

For the avoidance of doubt. The investment from the UAE is beyond reproach, and good for world football.

(Think we got away with it, sorry Scamp!)
Jokes can't hide the facts, whether you like it or not and your whining and having digs at City is as ironic as Pogba writing a book on conservative hairstyles.

Talking of investment, nobody seemed to give a shit about the Frank Sinatra guy they had before who put money in? You know, the corrupt politician.

Nor do people moan about the United share issue on the NY stock exchange to easily generate a chunk of revenue to pay the mortgages that the Glazers took out against the club to buy to the club. Mental. The fans (and anyone else who bought these shares) helped to buy the club for the Glazers. By help, I mean that probably half of the money spent on that IPO went to the loans for the club, the rest probably went to the Glazers, but it's OK because the shares bought are different to the ones the Glazers hold, the latter hold 10x the voting rights. Stand up guys and definitely interested in the fans as their number one priority.

Nobody is perfect and I'm sure people could take an ethical stance against the Stoke owners having made their money from gambling for example....but to whine about competitors spending when you support one of the traditionally biggest spenders is laughable, especially to then extend some sort of moral compass set to extreme irony, waving it round like you or United are the most upstanding citizens and moral police.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 8:49 am   #4229
Dunroaming back in UK

Quote:

The PL is doomed.
Pep is a genius

If Utd had Pep instead of Maureen you'd be Champions

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Apr 17th 2018 at 8:54 am.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 10:50 am   #4230
ededed Male
“Smart” - Scamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Jokes....
TL, DR, assuming it was something clever and cutting (but not chomping, definitely not) that’s been approved by your thought police.

Quote:
Pep is a genius

If Utd had Pep instead of Maureen you'd be Champions
I doubt even Pep could get a tune out of the shit Jose has assembled / kept. Although how many United players have got better under his leadership? I’ll tell you - none. Pep wouldn’t stand for Martial’s work rate, Rashford’s lack of awareness, Lukaku’s lack of control, Pogba’s wandering about for the cameras, Smalling’s....well, Smalling. I wonder what he makes of Phil Jones?

Mourinho’s philosophy is to buy great players and hope they fit. I still have a longing hope that Jose is going to fix what is so obviously broken, but that feels a long way off right now. What’ll he do? He’ll buy Griesmann or Lewandoski, or Bale - we’ll all cream ourselves with excitement and we’ll still draw at home to Burnley and West Ham and call it progress.

Pep hasn’t built a dynasty, don’t kid yourself that he is or has. What he’s done is identify the best players who are good enough (physically and mentally) to play in a system that he knows will work and recruited them - and got rid of anyone who isn’t up to scratch. Jose has done the opposite.

Remember, Jose sold KDB, Salah and Lukaku for peanuts and bought back one of them for £75m.

He has a season left, and if we don’t get to a level of consistency by then, I reckon he’ll walk. But then who else is there? We’ll probably end up with Rafa ****ing Benitez, or - and I will take a shotgun to my throat - Brendan Rogers.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room