Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Old May 15th 2017, 7:23 pm   #16
ededed Male
Vitriolic trajectionist

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British football thread 2017-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
QUOTE JamesM I actually watch MLS live and on TV.
There's a longer ban for ****ing up quotes....
ededed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th 2017, 7:24 pm   #17
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Shocking admission, James.

I went to watch Houston Dynamo when we lived in the city (largely because I was given a free corporate ticket by the company I was working for at the time).... awful... beyond words. Their 'star' player was Giles Barnes (yeah, who??) who was part of the Derby County squad that played the worst ever PL season by any club, ever... the stadium was 1/4 full, mostly of Yanks who hadn't the first notion what they were doing there.... the opposition were Santos Laguna, from Mexico, who were a decent side and had some passionate 'hombres' in the stands.... miraculously Dynamo got a 1-1 draw, though by the time they scored the equaliser, we were getting into the car to go home again....
Cainess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th 2017, 7:40 pm   #18
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ededed;12253224]There's a longer ban for ****ing up quotes....[/UOTE]

fair enough
Garbatellamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 2017, 4:15 am   #19
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainess View Post

I went to watch Houston Dynamo when we lived in the city (largely because I was given a free corporate ticket by the company I was working for at the time).... awful... beyond words. Their 'star' player was Giles Barnes (yeah, who??) who was part of the Derby County squad that played the worst ever PL season by any club, ever... the stadium was 1/4 full, mostly of Yanks who hadn't the first notion what they were doing there.... the opposition were Santos Laguna, from Mexico, who were a decent side and had some passionate 'hombres' in the stands.... miraculously Dynamo got a 1-1 draw, though by the time they scored the equaliser, we were getting into the car to go home again....
I've been to a game here, Al Wasl v Dubai FC.

One of the best games I've ever been to in terms of atmosphere and action (red cards, penalty saves, last minute winner for home side to beat their bogey team for the first time in 20 years or something)....BUT.....the football was poor. Hugo Viana stood no further than 10 yards from the centre circle at any time and ran the show, including a screamer to go 2-1 up.

The headwear bit (ghoutra and igal I think) being launched around on the final whistle was a sight to behold. Only bettered by the shuffling, searching and passing around of them all immediately after.
Old May 16th 2017, 7:05 am   #20
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I've been to a game here, Al Wasl v Dubai FC.
I've kind of half wanted to go sometime but never got round to it.

Would have loved to have gone to the last game a few seasons ago when Al Wasl won the league. The supporters round town were mental!
jam25mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 2017, 7:09 am   #21
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
I've kind of half wanted to go sometime but never got round to it.

Would have loved to have gone to the last game a few seasons ago when Al Wasl won the league. The supporters round town were mental!
Let's do it when the season restarts after summer.
It's shit but great and typical Dubai chaos to work out and buy tickets and stuff.
Old May 16th 2017, 9:33 am   #22
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Let's do it when the season restarts after summer.
It's shit but great and typical Dubai chaos to work out and buy tickets and stuff.
Aye alright, why not.

Sneak carry outs in....?
jam25mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th 2017, 9:55 am   #23
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Aye alright, why not.

Sneak carry outs in....?
Unlikely. They take cigs off you when going into the stand.
Old May 16th 2017, 4:14 pm   #24
JamesM Male
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It's not like I go out of my way for it.

But if it's on and I'm home then the game will be run.

The nice thing with MLS live is you can drink beer in the stands. I usually get rat arsed and lecture the people around me on the finer points of the game and how they don't know anything. I'm amazed I've never been kicked out actually.

But yes the standard is bad and the teams lop sided. No team spends their designated player money (the money that isn't in the salary cap) on defenders so you end up with Championship attackers playing against league 2 defenders equivalent.

We have Sebastian Giovonco in Toronto who is the MLS's best player. He was a reserve at Juventus. Looks like Maradona when he is out there against MLS defenders. It is easy to see though why the Italian Manager won't pick him because he is not being tested by any level of defending what so ever.

Anyway as I said up thread. No more MLS talk. This reminds me of the time someone wanted to start a fantasy ice hockey league in "The Maple leaf" forum. Not a good idea.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th 2017, 4:32 am   #25
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
We have Sebastian Giovonco in Toronto who is the MLS's best player.
Sprint speed of 97 or 98 on FIFA....
Old May 17th 2017, 9:51 am   #26
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
We have Sebastian Giovonco in Toronto who is the MLS's best player.
I could never understand why he did't play more in Italy or for the national side more often - superb player
Old May 18th 2017, 5:03 pm   #27
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

So, retrospective bans for diving are now is now on the cards. Will it make a significant difference to the play next season? Or will it be like the rules on "shirt pulling" that only Mike Dean seemed to be aware of?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ry-next-season
yellowroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th 2017, 5:51 pm   #28
Late In May In 1999...

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
So, retrospective bans for diving are now is now on the cards. Will it make a significant difference to the play next season? Or will it be like the rules on "shirt pulling" that only Mike Dean seemed to be aware of?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ry-next-season
Diego Costa was 'perhaps' moving to China.... now, after this ruling, he's DEFINITELY going...

It's to be welcomed, but as with anything the authorities come up with, it is more about whether it will be implemented properly & fairly, or just have a few like Dean & Jon Moss (spit) implement for a few months before it 'dies a death'....
Cainess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th 2017, 6:28 pm   #29
ededed Male
Vitriolic trajectionist

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Diego Costa was 'perhaps' moving to China.... now, after this ruling, he's DEFINITELY going...

It's to be welcomed, but as with anything the authorities come up with, it is more about whether it will be implemented properly & fairly, or just have a few like Dean & Jon Moss (spit) implement for a few months before it 'dies a death'....
It's been in place in Scotland for 6 years. I didn't even know that until I heard about the plans today. Not sure it has stopped it, but then players falling over is as much due to being pissed as trying to con the ref.
ededed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th 2017, 10:28 am   #30
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:

Good job you don't still have Ronaldo as he'd only play 3 or 4 games a season if they bring that in.

In fairness, I have to add that we will have to sell Sterling!

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room