Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room

Closed Thread

Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:43 pm   #1
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beckham To Quit LA Galaxy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20405547

Read All About It.

Jim.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:57 pm   #2
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beckham To Quit LA Galaxy

I hope Manc comes along because I read what he was saying about this on Twitter and he's bang on. In summary - old man leaves average team that he was very half-arsed about working for isn't really news is it?

Beckham came to the MLS and dicked around. He isn't the best player at his club - maybe not even in his own midfield - let alone the huge MLS draw that his PR people hyped him up as. Obviously you can't just pin it on him but he didn't elevate the MLS brand at all. Especially as pretty much everyone now buggers off to the Middle East, China and Russia for the cash and prestige. You could argue he wanted to do make a football difference in the MLS but his astonishingly disproportionate wages to everyone else makes that claim silly. Nice bloke and all that but I think he genuinely made a mistake in a footballing sense by going the route he did. He effectively retired at 31 with a few goes in AC Milan to prove he can run around for a month in a league filled with 35 year olds.

Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:57 pm   #3
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Well, let's face it, they've been taking advantage of him, haven't they? I mean, only a half a million bucks a week? Conning bastards.

Old Nov 21st 2012, 12:36 pm   #4
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

It has been all over the papers here that Melbourne Heart have made an enquiry regarding Beckham's availability for the rest of the current A League season. He could come here and light up the league like Franny Jeffers.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:03 pm   #5
Fair and balanced
Premium Member

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

At $ 4 million, In 2012 he was the third highest paid player in the MLS, behind Henri on $ 5.6 million and Rafael Márquez, second highest earner on $ 4.6 million.

This was a big drop from 2011 when Beckham earned $ 6.5 million.

He possibly earned his money in 2008 when he brought a lot of media attention to soccer, but MLS average attendance has been going up before he joined and has continued to do so since, (probably because of the impact of the newer teams)

I still fail to see how LA and NY can justify these wages, certainly not on gate money as LA get 23k and NY get 18k.

I do not know how much they earn on merchandise, LA look set to win the MLS Cup for the second year in a row on Saturday, but are still stuck at 23k.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:30 am   #6
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenandPam View Post
It has been all over the papers here that Melbourne Heart have made an enquiry regarding Beckham's availability for the rest of the current A League season. He could come here and light up the league like Franny Jeffers.
They'd be happy together..... Two over-hyped players of limited ability.

Francis Jeffers had one decent season at Everton, so we bought him, pretty much like Liverpool did with Andy Carroll (Newcastle) and Charlie Adam (Blackpool).

Beckham was an okay midfielder with a very good dead-ball delivery at times, but can teams afford to carry a player with limited ability (other than Rory Delap at Stoke)?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:26 pm   #7
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
At $ 4 million, In 2012 he was the third highest paid player in the MLS, behind Henri on $ 5.6 million and Rafael Márquez, second highest earner on $ 4.6 million.

He possibly earned his money in 2008 when he brought a lot of media attention to soccer, but MLS average attendance has been going up before he joined and has continued to do so since, (probably because of the impact of the newer teams)

I still fail to see how LA and NY can justify these wages, certainly not on gate money as LA get 23k and NY get 18k.

I do not know how much they earn on merchandise, LA look set to win the MLS Cup for the second year in a row on Saturday, but are still stuck at 23k.

It could well be due to the fact that people are beginning to realise that other US Sports just Suck!

Jim
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:21 pm   #8
IJ157 
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

Monaco are interested but he wants to play in a team that competes in the Champions League.

Interestingly that is why Dempsey left Fulham for Spurs!
Old Dec 1st 2012, 2:59 pm   #9
Premium Member

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

No they wont!
Old Dec 1st 2012, 5:08 pm   #10
Fair and balanced
Premium Member

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
No they wont!
I hope LA lose. Go Dynamo
Old Dec 1st 2012, 5:18 pm   #11
Premium Member

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hope LA lose. Go Dynamo
The Orange Shirts rule!!
Old Dec 1st 2012, 5:29 pm   #12
Fair and balanced
Premium Member

Quote:
The Orange Shirts rule!!
I wouldn't go that far. Fifth in the division.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 5:32 pm   #13
Premium Member

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far. Fifth in the division.
I have to support the local team.

Actually it has been interesting watching them from the early days. The impact they have had on soccer being played more in schools around here is great
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 12:37 am   #14
Premium Member

Quote:
I have to support the local team.

Actually it has been interesting watching them from the early days. The impact they have had on soccer being played more in schools around here is great

Oh well there is always next season I suppose.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 6:31 pm   #15
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No they wont!
Oh yes they did..
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Locker Room