Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Apr 20th 2017, 5:51 pm   #1
BE Enthusiast

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Windows 10 - Lesson learned

I have a Dell Latitude E6510 laptop which is about 5 years old.
It's starting to get a bit clunky. The battery won't charge despite 2 new batteries and a replacement system board. The disk keeps filling up and some keys are beginning to act up. It also could do with wiping and rebuilding to clear the bloat.

So, I decided to look for a new laptop. I need Windows Pro to connect to my home domain. I have tried to avoid Windows 10 but figured it may be time to take the leap.

I found this laptop at Walmart. Described as a 'gaming' laptop with Core-i7, 12GB RAM and 1TB disk and Windows 10. So, went and bought it last night.

It came with Windows 10 Home so first thing I did after initial setup was purchase the online upgrade to Pro for $99 and started the upgrade. And waited...

2 hours into the upgrade, it blue-screened however, it rebooted and continued with the upgrade (another hour). 10 minutes after it finished, another blue-screen. Bedtime...

Today, I continued with setup including Office Pro 2013. Another 2 blue screens...

Screw it! It's going back to Walmart. But what about my $99 Pro upgrade?

I spent 2 hours online with Microsoft before they eventually agreed to refund my $99. It's now in the process of a factory restore before I throw it back at Walmart.

I'm now in the market for another laptop (this time with Windows 7) and ironically, it seems the best option out there is a refurbished Dell E6510.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:41 pm   #2
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Windows 10 - Lesson learned

I'd put the issue down to 2 things:

1) HP laptops are shit
2) You can't buy a gaming laptop for $600 so the fact Walmart are labeling it as such should terrify you.

It might be a struggle to find a Windows 7 machine now though, I'd be more inclined to get a Windows 10 machine and then wipe it and install Windows 7 using the license you have on your old laptop, you can get the install iso from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7

Personally all my teething issues with Windows 10 have been resolved. There seems to be plenty of Windows 7 professional systems available on the Dell site if you select business rather than home.
SpoogleDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:49 pm   #3
BE Enthusiast

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
I'd put the issue down to 2 things:

1) HP laptops are shit
2) You can't buy a gaming laptop for $600 so the fact Walmart are labeling it as such should terrify you.

It might be a struggle to find a Windows 7 machine now though, I'd be more inclined to get a Windows 10 machine and then wipe it and install Windows 7 using the license you have on your old laptop, you can get the install iso from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7

Personally all my teething issues with Windows 10 have been resolved. There seems to be plenty of Windows 7 professional systems available on the Dell site if you select business rather than home.
Problem with this approach is often finding Windows 7 drivers.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:00 pm   #4
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

We use Windows 10 on an Lenovo G70 laptop with no issues.

It actually came as Windows 7 with a free upgrade to 10 nearly a year and a half ago.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:05 pm   #5
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
Problem with this approach is often finding Windows 7 drivers.
Yep, but I was wrong about it being difficult to find one.
SpoogleDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:24 pm   #6
BE Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
1) HP laptops are shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
We use Windows 10 on an Lenovo G70 laptop with no issues.
Maybe these two points are related?

Restore to factory settings took over 2 hours. Think I'll add SSD to my wish list.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:22 pm   #7
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe these two points are related?

Restore to factory settings took over 2 hours. Think I'll add SSD to my wish list.
I just checked the specs and they are as follows
Quote:
Lenovo G70 17.3 inch Laptop Notebook (Black) - (Intel Pentium 3805U, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD, DVDRW, WLAN, BT, Camera, Integrated Graphics, Windows 10 Home)
Bought on Amazon from a seller with a 100% rating for £399
Old Apr 21st 2017, 8:16 pm   #8
BE Enthusiast

Maybe I haven't learnt my lesson. I have ordered a refurbished Dell Precision M6700 with quad-core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD and... Windows 10 Pro. for $660. It will accommodate a 2nd hard disk so I can have performance of an SSD and capacity.

I really feel I need to get to grips with Windows 10 but if it goes pear-shaped, I can revert back to good ole Windows 7 as the drivers ARE available.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 8:18 pm   #9
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Maybe I haven't learnt my lesson. I have ordered a refurbished Dell Precision M6700 with quad-core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD and... Windows 10 Pro. for $660. It will accommodate a 2nd hard disk so I can have performance of an SSD and capacity.

I really feel I need to get to grips with Windows 10 but if it goes pear-shaped, I can revert back to good ole Windows 7 as the drivers ARE available.
I don't think it's Windows 10 that's the problem....

I wouldn't buy a Dell personally.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 8:32 pm   #10
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

There has been a problem on some computers with a very recent update that has caused windows 10 to flag up an error message and refuse to open. My wife had this on her laptop this morning, couldn't even get in in safe mode, luckily we have more than one computer so she was able to contact microsoft who did admit there had been a problem in a recent update so they did allow her to download a reboot programme to a USB stick on one computer that she could use to repair the problem on the other computer, took several hours in total but the whole thing is now sorted, and at no coast as they admitted the problem was theirs.
mikelincs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st 2017, 8:33 pm   #11
BE Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I don't think it's Windows 10 that's the problem....

I wouldn't buy a Dell personally.
I have had several Dell laptops and found them to be very reliable. The one I'm replacing is 6 years old (not 5 as previously stated) and has served me well. It still runs, just won't charge the battery.

My work computer is a Dell M6800 which cost well over $2,000 new and has worked flawlessly for over 2 years. At my previous job I had a Lenovo ThinkPad which failed twice in 3 years (both times a bad SSD).

We use all Dell servers at work and they also perform well with very few problems.

Whatever brand you choose, there will always be horror stories.

Old Apr 21st 2017, 8:56 pm   #12
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Whatever brand you choose, there will always be horror stories.

Fair point. I use a Chromebook personally. The other laptop is for the wife.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab