Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Aug 4th 2017, 8:56 pm   #1
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thunderbird - disappearing emails

So, I've been reasonably sure a couple of emails I had in my inbox to reply to later have disappeared.

If I had somehow deleted them in error, they'd still be in the Trash folder. It's unlikely I deleted each of them in error. Twice.

Today, there was a huge BellAliant problem over Atlantic Canada which affected Thunderbird among other things.

I was alerted to its return by a couple of emails popping up which I deleted.

My inbox was on screen when I also noticed a Thunderbird crash report box saying there had been an error. I saw no point in reporting it believing it to have been the Bell issue.

So I closed it. Simultaneously I saw the list of emails in my inbox contract/shorten. There were three emails in there for me to respond to (my mum, a brother and a friend) later.

But they all disappeared before my very eyes.

They were not in the Trash folder, but the two emails that had been deleted seconds earlier were in there.

So I'm now thinking the 'error' was unrelated to the earlier problem and that maybe it was a separate issue affecting Thunderbird and the error included three disappearing emails.

Anyone else experienced this?

Nearly forgot. I also had some emails in a folder I made to keep as a record of when I last made contact. They've gone too.

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 4th 2017 at 8:59 pm.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:08 am   #2
Hostage Negotiator
Premium Member

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thunderbird - disappearing emails

Unlikely to be TB - perhaps your mail host had some issues?
InVinoVeritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th 2017, 6:34 am   #3
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It may have something to do with imap settings. imap keeps email in sync across multiple devices and if they went from the server they may have disappeared from TB. There may be a sync deleted emails option.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 2:53 pm   #4
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The settings are don't delete and when I delete, move to the trash folder where they should stay until my second deletion.
I've never been aware of Outlook losing anything and all of those that disappeared from Thunderbird were still on Outlook. Same email address/account.

Yesterday, I went to my W7/Outlook laptop and forwarded to myself two emails that I was keeping to reply to later.

They appeared on Thunderbird but then later they were not there.

I went back to W7/Outlook and forwarded copies again and the original pair had reappeared when I made sure the second duplicates arrived.

It is, of course, possible that I'm mistaken about previous examples. I have noticed that deleting sends a mail to the Trash and then if you send it back to the inbox, the next deletion is a permanent one; you don't get two reset. So maybe something like that happened.

Maybe yesterday's events were just down to the Bell Aliant problem. To see 3 emails actually disappear with the closing of a crash report box was definitely unique.

It's reassuring to still have Outlook as back up.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 11:28 am   #5
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you using IMAP for your mail account or POP? or a mixture of both?

Are you using only the standard mailboxes or have you expanded/added your own mailboxes/folders?

The secret with thunderbird is keep it simple, it's easy to lose the overview otherwise.

Under normal circumstances it's possible to uninstall Thunderbird and then reinstall a new version whilst retaining old mail. Old sent mail etc will still show up..and syncing with the server will restore the rest.

Sounds like a software error.

IMAP is recommended in any case.
calman014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th 2017, 4:29 pm   #6
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
Are you using IMAP for your mail account or POP? or a mixture of both?
IMAP on Thunderbird/W10 and pop on Outlook/W7

Quote:
Are you using only the standard mailboxes or have you expanded/added your own mailboxes/folders?
I made three folders

Quote:
The secret with thunderbird is keep it simple, it's easy to lose the overview otherwise.
It's a toss up between having an extra couple of folders or a longer list of emails in one folder and it's harder to keep track when the list is longer. Not there are that many, mind.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 8:18 pm   #7
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Can you login to the mail server and see if the emails are still there? If your mail provider had issues and somehow deleted your emails it would explain why they vanished from your Thunderbird but not your Outlook.
SpoogleDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:30 am   #8
Hostage Negotiator
Premium Member

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
IMAP on Thunderbird/W10 and pop on Outlook/W7
I don't use Outlook but I reckon you should focus your suspicions on the fact you are using a mixture of email clients using both IMAP and POP3 which I've never tried to be honest. Much safer to go 100% IMAP.
InVinoVeritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:11 am   #9
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
Can you login to the mail server and see if the emails are still there? ...
I wouldn't know how to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
I don't use Outlook but I reckon you should focus your suspicions on the fact you are using a mixture of email clients using both IMAP and POP3 which I've never tried to be honest. Much safer to go 100% IMAP.
Maybe. Thing is since installing Thunderbird I hadn't used or even opened Outlook on the old laptop until mails disappeared.

Surely if an email actually gets to a computer it's going to stay until user setting or user action deletes it. It's hard to think the server is going to take it back.

But if Outlook is definitely keeping them and TB is losing them, I don't really want to make Outlook the same as TB.

I have been mucking about quite a bit since Friday - to put it technically - in a sort of tempting fate way, but nothing more has disappeared.

I'm beginning to think that it really was Friday's Bell Aliant problem messing up and that I was mistaken or to blame prior to that.

I'm keeping my eye on it
Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:55 am   #10
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

On the POP account ensure its set to "LEAVE MAIL ON SERVER"
The retention period is up to you.
IMAP should be no problem.

Thunderbird is also very sensitive to PORT NUMBERS and SSL/TLS settings.
Just double check that they are correct.

Would also be wise to revise your mail filters/rules so certain mails jump straight into the relevant mailbox.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:17 pm   #11
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

Quote:
...but nothing more has disappeared...
I spoke too soon.
I went to bed last night with one kept from my mum and another for my brother. The brother one isn't there today. Both of them have been recovered from Outlook previously, twice, because they disappeared twice. So the actions I have taken have been taken for both, yet only one disappeared this time.

Quote:
On the POP account ensure its set to "LEAVE MAIL ON SERVER"
The retention period is up to you.
A couple of months ago, I did this as suggested when I was first asking about Thunderbird

Quote:
Thunderbird is also very sensitive to PORT NUMBERS and SSL/TLS settings.
Just double check that they are correct.
How do I know what is correct?

Quote:
Would also be wise to revise your mail filters/rules so certain mails jump straight into the relevant mailbox.
Everything goes into inbox. Once I replied I delete them. Or, if an acknowledgment from Amazon, say, I move it to a created folder.

Sometimes I move a reply from 'sent' to another folder as a temporary reference.

I think I'll uninstall and try again, making sure I have copies of what I want just in case.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:08 pm   #12
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

Oh this is ridiculous.

I just went to my older laptop, found my brother email and forwarded it.

I just opened Thunderbird to see it there, but since I posted earlier, the one for my mother that was there has gone.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 8:34 pm   #13
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

Hmmm...
I uninstalled, getting rid of all the little bits left over by using Revo and reinstalled.

I selected custom install, figuring that might give me a better opportunity to check things than doing the standard thing.

I was a bit taken by surprise when it all came up without me having to enter anything. No resurrecting, no opportunity to add an email, no password....nothing needed at all.

It was as if I'd simply closed and reopened rather than uninstall and delete.

One thing I noticed...one setting allows no (automatic) deleting of emails but there's a second option not to delete starred emails.

Surely there's no need of the second selection with the first one in play

But I have starred four mails currently in my inbox.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 11:16 pm   #14
BE Enthusiast

Port numbers are normally suggested by your (mail) provider in their settings.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 2:25 am   #15
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

Quote:
Port numbers are normally suggested by your (mail) provider in their settings.
Yes, that's gone the default route.

When we talked about this before I installed TB onto a refurbished all-in-one W10 computer. The install and settings on the W10 laptop are absolutely identical to those on the all-in-one.

No emails disappeared from TB on the all-in-one when that was running, with Outlook on what then was my only laptop.

My reasons for wanting the all-in-one no longer apply so it's barely used, but there were no issues when it was just W7/Outlook and W10/TB.

That there have been issues this time convinces me even more that the installation of TB on the W10 laptop went wrong somewhere.

It's too early to be sure but it's been over two days since the reinstall, with no issues so far.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab