Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Jan 2nd 2018, 3:19 am   #1
~~*Checksum*~~

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sudden slowdown of laptop - any advice?

I have an MSI G70 gaming laptop, i7 with 16Gb Ram, running Windows7. All was well until my works browser was updated to Firefox version 57.0.2 (64-bits) - we don't have any choice as to whether or not to update or roll this back.

Since installing it, my laptop has been lagging, dragging and freezing up. I've run Malware Bytes, Super Anti Spyware and have Comodo Internet Security Premium running, which shows no issues or problems. I don't know that the update is the issue, but it coincided with the problems starting.

To be honest, it's driving me around the bend. Even using a normal browser (FF) I am getting a lag at times (typing, messaging, searching), Skype takes 3 attempts to log in. Dragging a file into folder on the desktop, I get ghosting as it takes a few seconds (rather than as before, instantly).. opening a new program takes 3-4 times as long as it did before.

I've checked my memory usage and Ram - neither appears to be being excessively used.

I'm usually pretty good at fixing issues but this seems to have me beaten - anyone any ideas? Oh - and before anyone suggests running the company browser in safe mode, to see if it's an add-on or extension causing it, I can't - nor can I disable them.

Thanks for any assistance in advance!

http://www.suzisukarma.com/gallery.html .. Share the moments - share the memories - share the love!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 2nd 2018 at 3:22 am.
Siouxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 11:53 am   #2
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sudden slowdown of laptop - any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
I have an MSI G70 gaming laptop, i7 with 16Gb Ram, running Windows7. All was well until my works browser was updated to Firefox version 57.0.2 (64-bits) - we don't have any choice as to whether or not to update or roll this back.

Since installing it, my laptop has been lagging, dragging and freezing up. I've run Malware Bytes, Super Anti Spyware and have Comodo Internet Security Premium running, which shows no issues or problems. I don't know that the update is the issue, but it coincided with the problems starting.

To be honest, it's driving me around the bend. Even using a normal browser (FF) I am getting a lag at times (typing, messaging, searching), Skype takes 3 attempts to log in. Dragging a file into folder on the desktop, I get ghosting as it takes a few seconds (rather than as before, instantly).. opening a new program takes 3-4 times as long as it did before.

I've checked my memory usage and Ram - neither appears to be being excessively used.

I'm usually pretty good at fixing issues but this seems to have me beaten - anyone any ideas? Oh - and before anyone suggests running the company browser in safe mode, to see if it's an add-on or extension causing it, I can't - nor can I disable them.

Thanks for any assistance in advance!

Do you have another Profile you can log in with to see if you get the same issues?

Do you have a Restore point you can roll back to from before the issues started?
Nutek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 2:00 pm   #3
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
...Firefox version 57.0.2 (64-bits) ...
57.0.3 seems to be available
Quote:
Article Name Firefox 57.0.3 bug fix release
It seemed 57.0.1 had problems as well.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 2:12 pm   #4
~~*Checksum*~~

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Do you have another Profile you can log in with to see if you get the same issues?

Do you have a Restore point you can roll back to from before the issues started?
I don't have another profile but do have a restore point - I may give that a try, thanks - though the same issue may arise as I will have to update the browser again, regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
57.0.3 seems to be available

It seemed 57.0.1 had problems as well.
I'm not able to choose to update it - it's a work browser specifically configured, unfortunately. Thanks for the link though - I'll have a good read!

Edited to add, I ran chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r and it appears to be running more smoothly.. phew! Keeping everything crossed!

http://www.suzisukarma.com/gallery.html .. Share the moments - share the memories - share the love!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 2nd 2018 at 3:05 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 11:07 pm   #5
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

"I'm not able to choose to update it - it's a work browser specifically configured, unfortunately."

As it's a 'work browser' are you running through some kind of VPN or network connection to your work?

Also, are you using WiFi or a wired connection?

Why not use windows administration to check out what services are running...there might be something there that gives a clue..

Make sure you have updated to the latest Firefox anyway.

If it's possible to install another browser in parallel, try Chrome and see how it responds in comparison.

PS: Are there any plugins or extensions being used by Firefox?
calman014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 12:29 am   #6
~~*Checksum*~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
"I'm not able to choose to update it - it's a work browser specifically configured, unfortunately."

As it's a 'work browser' are you running through some kind of VPN or network connection to your work?

No.. I'm not working on any projects at present that require a VPN, just a log in to specific websites and various works 'tools'

Also, are you using WiFi or a wired connection?

I am using a wifi connection - as I have for the past couple of years, without any issue

Why not use windows administration to check out what services are running...there might be something there that gives a clue..

I have, I can't see anything that isn't normally running..

Make sure you have updated to the latest Firefox anyway.

My personal FF is updated - I am not able to update my works FF..

If it's possible to install another browser in parallel, try Chrome and see how it responds in comparison.

I do have Chrome - and a couple of others - but I have to use a specific browser for work. More concerning is that it affects the overall performance of the laptop, other than browsers.

There are 3, but I can't remove or disable them as they are required for work

Thanks for the suggestions, I do appreciate it! It appears that the works FF is very memory heavy and I suspect this may be part of the issue. Whilst the problem isn't as bad as it was, I am noticing a certain amount of lag on overall performance which wasn't there before. Even something as simple as opening the volume control takes a few seconds, whereas before it was instant.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 3rd 2018 at 12:32 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 3:59 pm   #7
Gozit Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Is the problem still present after completely closing the work FF browser or does everything go back to normal when that browser is not running?

Usually a sudden and complete slowdown of everything on a computer would lead me to think virus of some kind or a hard drive failure but this might be a different case.

I second Nutek's idea of creating a second user profile - just go into the control panel and create a new user "Siouxie2" and see if that helps any.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 11:17 pm   #8
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

==

This is most likely the problem area.

Using admin tools again go and surf around a little using chrome and see how the system responds in general but also the CPU/Memory usage and running services. Sort them so the CPU hogs are at the top. Ping a familiar website using the CMD command line interface (DOS). Also try a web based speedtest like fast.com or speedof.me.

==

Now carry out the same checks with your works browser open.

See how it compares.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:18 am   #9
~~*Checksum*~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
Is the problem still present after completely closing the work FF browser or does everything go back to normal when that browser is not running?

Usually a sudden and complete slowdown of everything on a computer would lead me to think virus of some kind or a hard drive failure but this might be a different case.

I second Nutek's idea of creating a second user profile - just go into the control panel and create a new user "Siouxie2" and see if that helps any.
Quote:

==

This is most likely the problem area.

Using admin tools again go and surf around a little using chrome and see how the system responds in general but also the CPU/Memory usage and running services. Sort them so the CPU hogs are at the top. Ping a familiar website using the CMD command line interface (DOS). Also try a web based speedtest like fast.com or speedof.me.

==

Now carry out the same checks with your works browser open.

See how it compares.
Thanks for the suggestions.. I'll check them out tomorrow when I have no shifts

Old Jan 5th 2018, 4:06 pm   #10
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I can't offer any positive help but fwiw:-
Today I upgraded my wife's MacMini running OS Sierra from FFox 54 to the latest FF 57.04, and the same on my iMac (El Capitan/FF54 to 57.04).
Immediately after reboot both machines took longer to load some websites, especially Yahoo mail. Also noticed my favourite FF add-ons had been deleted or no longer supported, the most important being uMatrix (Firewall) and BlueHell (Ad-Blocker).
Managed to re-install uMatrix with El Capitan but it's now definitely obsolete with Sierra, as is BlueHell with both systems.
Yahoo mail was playing up and also loading many unwanted ads.
After clearing the cached web content, and several searches, I found and downloaded the very light ad blocker uBlock Origin which seems to run a treat on both machines. (Always avoided the likes of Ghostery and any other with Adblock in the title).
Interesting enough on one of my much older PowerPC Apple 'dynosaurs' running ancient (2006) OS X Tiger with a current very secure TFF web browser I never have a problem, add-ons still work out of the box.
I've been a hard core Apple fan for many years, but now detest what they've now become, with yearly OS updates - requiring more and more processing power and/or RAM, and especially non upgradeable memory policy, proprietary hard drives, and since 2011(ish) devilishly difficult (often impossible) laptop repairability by owners themselves.
Obviously Apple have never officially supported d.i.y component replacements on their products, but in actual fact prior to 2011 most tasks were not only possible but relatively straight forward.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 8:58 pm   #11
~~*Checksum*~~

I've updated everything possible, ran checks, done my due diligence aaaaand..... it's definitely the work browser causing the slowdown.

As I don't have any choice but to use it, I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:58 am   #12
BE Enthusiast

Tweedpipe:

If you check out the Mozilla site there are often "legacy" alternatives to upgrading to the latest versions. Maybe your plugins will still work that way. If not, just use time machine if the speed is a problem and go back to an earlier version.

Using a firewall plugin in the browser is not such a good idea..the Apple firewall is more than adequate for daily use requiring little attention. If you want more than that, invest in a commercial product like Bitdefender.

Yahoo mail is best downloaded using POP or IMAP to your regular mail programme rather than webmail.

Apple devices have become more popular, making them a target for malware and scams just like the rest. For a hobby user no big problem, but if you need your device for work you should consider upgrading the hardware.

From my own experience, apple devices are often quite useable up to about 10 years.

There is also rumoured to be a newMac Mini coming this year.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:59 am   #13
BE Enthusiast

Siouxie: May I ask which plugins are used?..
Old Jan 6th 2018, 5:56 pm   #14
Premium Member

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

How slow will your computer be once Intel fixes the ‘meltdown’ security flaw? – BGR
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th 2018, 7:25 pm   #15
~~*Checksum*~~

Quote:
Siouxie: May I ask which plugins are used?..
The plug ins are pretty standard, video codecs, cisco etc., but I also have 4 extensions that are purely work related - Foxclocks, translator, a log in extension and a redirector.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab