Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Jul 18th 2017, 12:53 am   #1
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Restoring laptop to factory settings

Quick questions (I hope) Husband's laptop is playing up. He doesn't have much on it so has decided to restore to factory settings and start again. It was bought before Windows 10. Once the restore has happened will Windows 8 show up and if so is it easy to put Windows 10 on again? Thanks.

The Recipe Thread Index:
moneypenny20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th 2017, 1:08 am   #2
What year is this?
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restoring laptop to factory settings

I recently did such a restore on a W10 that was previously upgraded from 8.1.

It came back as W10.

Bit of a surprise considering I'd read lots to say that when upgrading to 10 one had a month to revert back to the original or it would be deleted.

I also read that if one had taken the free upgrade but went back that one could go forward to 10 again.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th 2017, 1:16 am   #3
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I recently did such a restore on a W10 that was previously upgraded from 8.1.

It came back as W10.

Bit of a surprise considering I'd read lots to say that when upgrading to 10 one had a month to revert back to the original or it would be deleted.

I also read that if one had taken the free upgrade but went back that one could go forward to 10 again.
Good to know, thanks Bristol. If it doesn't work, it's going in the pool apparently. I'm trying to prevent that happening.

The Recipe Thread Index:
Old Jul 19th 2017, 5:48 am   #4
Hostage Negotiator
Premium Member

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Good to know, thanks Bristol. If it doesn't work, it's going in the pool apparently. I'm trying to prevent that happening.
There's another solution, MP. You can download the very latest Windows 10 from Microsoft for free and then buy the activation key from your preferred Amazon site for around US15.

Although you'll have to reinstall your applications, you are at least guaranteed to have a working system at the end as well as a recovery drive for the future.
InVinoVeritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 10:34 am   #5
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
There's another solution, MP. You can download the very latest Windows 10 from Microsoft for free and then buy the activation key from your preferred Amazon site for around US15.

Although you'll have to reinstall your applications, you are at least guaranteed to have a working system at the end as well as a recovery drive for the future.
Thanks for that. I'll bear it in mind in future. It's working now so fingers crossed it stays that way.

The Recipe Thread Index:
Old Jul 19th 2017, 3:30 pm   #6
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is my preferred method but can be a PITA as you may have to search for drivers and if your computer is older the manufacturers may not have released Windows 10 drivers so that guarantee of a working computer is only worth the paper it's written on unless you're prepared to put in the time hunting down compatible drivers etc.
SpoogleDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 7:38 pm   #7
Hostage Negotiator
Premium Member

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
This is my preferred method but can be a PITA as you may have to search for drivers and if your computer is older the manufacturers may not have released Windows 10 drivers so that guarantee of a working computer is only worth the paper it's written on unless you're prepared to put in the time hunting down compatible drivers etc.
The laptop came with W8 so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 4:28 pm   #8
What year is this?
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...download the very latest Windows 10 from Microsoft for free and then buy the activation key from your preferred Amazon site for around US15...
Quote:
This is my preferred method but...
Whenever I've seen product keys going for a fraction of the normal price, checking out the reviews or googling reveals a lot of unhappy people with numbers that don't work and MS support staff telling them they're not genuine.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 5:12 pm   #9
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Whenever I've seen product keys going for a fraction of the normal price, checking out the reviews or googling reveals a lot of unhappy people with numbers that don't work and MS support staff telling them they're not genuine.
Well as someone that used to always successfully use non-genuine keys anyways it's not something that bothered me But in this case as the laptop came with a genuine key that had already been upgraded there would be no need to buy a second license anyways. I have seen plenty of people using cheap Windows 10 keys that are legit so I wouldn't be too concerned, plus Amazon have a great refund policy.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 9:57 pm   #10
Gozit Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well as someone that used to always successfully use non-genuine keys anyways it's not something that bothered me But in this case as the laptop came with a genuine key that had already been upgraded there would be no need to buy a second license anyways. I have seen plenty of people using cheap Windows 10 keys that are legit so I wouldn't be too concerned, plus Amazon have a great refund policy.
Yeah no need for another key. With W10, when you do a clean install and connect the machine to the internet it verifies your machine with microsoft's authentication servers and your machine is activated.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 1:24 pm   #11
What year is this?
Premium Member

Quote:
...plus Amazon have a great refund policy.
You're right there.

I've become a bit more aware of this cheap key thing over the last couple of days with my new laptop and W10, the previous one having Office 2007 and finishing this year.

I don't want all the bells and whistles that come with 365 so I thought maybe the 2010/2013 versions for a one off. But I saw so many supposedly genuine keys and reports of fakes that it's quite put me off.

I'm using Kingsoft for word/spreadsheet and Thunderbird to replace Outlook at the moment.

Now that you reminded me of Amazon's refund policy I may have another look.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 3:57 pm   #12
Gozit Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're right there.

I've become a bit more aware of this cheap key thing over the last couple of days with my new laptop and W10, the previous one having Office 2007 and finishing this year.

I don't want all the bells and whistles that come with 365 so I thought maybe the 2010/2013 versions for a one off. But I saw so many supposedly genuine keys and reports of fakes that it's quite put me off.

I'm using Kingsoft for word/spreadsheet and Thunderbird to replace Outlook at the moment.

Now that you reminded me of Amazon's refund policy I may have another look.
Clearly i've missed a bit...what kind of new laptop did you end up going with?

Just had a look on amazon and there are a few 'bootleg' sellers with mixed reviews....you could always give it a go and get a refund if it doesn't work out.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 4:14 pm   #13
Hostage Negotiator
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozit View Post

Just had a look on amazon and there are a few 'bootleg' sellers with mixed reviews....you could always give it a go and get a refund if it doesn't work out.
I bought this one about a year ago:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great!

Oddly enough the pre-installed W10 stopped working - so that was probably a pirate version.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 5:33 pm   #14
What year is this?
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
Nuthin' fancy
Acer Aspire E 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop - Black/Iron (Intel Core i5-7200U/1TB HDD/8GB RAM/Windows 10)
But $550 and not the $750 they're asking now.

Quote:
Yes, it's a bit off-putting.

Aside from the number of people saying theirs didn't work or it did but then it stopped working it's very noticeable that many of the positive reviews all focus on the same things/use the same words etc and that's a bit of a red flag that I discovered from ebay complaints.

And then there are those that clearly refer to having received a disc while others talk of the number only. It's as if someone got their mates to do some nice reviews for them without realising there is no disc, just the download from MS

My last two orders from Amazon resulted in refunds. If I do it again I might get a reputation
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 6:18 pm   #15
You aint seen me, right?

Quote:
Nuthin' fancy
Acer Aspire E 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop - Black/Iron (Intel Core i5-7200U/1TB HDD/8GB RAM/Windows 10)
But $550 and not the $750 they're asking now.

Yes, it's a bit off-putting.

Aside from the number of people saying theirs didn't work or it did but then it stopped working it's very noticeable that many of the positive reviews all focus on the same things/use the same words etc and that's a bit of a red flag that I discovered from ebay complaints.

And then there are those that clearly refer to having received a disc while others talk of the number only. It's as if someone got their mates to do some nice reviews for them without realising there is no disc, just the download from MS

My last two orders from Amazon resulted in refunds. If I do it again I might get a reputation
The issue with reviews is people tend to be more inclined to leave a negative review rather than a positive one, I've got about 10 pages of things waiting for reviews on Amazon and get sick of the e-mails I get sent telling me to review every day things I bought.
Another issue is you can never underestimate the reviewer's intelligence, I've recently had people complain that on the app I work on that when you click the delete button it deletes the item you had selected, another user complained that when she paid for a 1 month subscription she only got 1 month subscription and she was expecting multiple months.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab