Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Sep 30th 2017, 1:45 am   #31
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passwords?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
But then some site only require special characters, some only allow certain special characters and some allow none. How do you deal with that?
I dealt with that earlier.

Quote:
Let's say you have three main passwords - Sausage. Hamburger. BaconButtie.

To you they are S H or B. Or, where case sensitive BB, or Bb.

If a number is needed stick one at the end or swap it for a letter.
Hamburger1 - your hint H1. Or Sau5age - your hint S5.

If a symbol and number is needed...Hamburger#1 - your hint H#1 or H number one (# is hash but also number).
It depends how your mind works. Rather than H, you could write bun or bun#1, the word bun telling you that's hamburger. dog or dog#1 (as in hot dog) could be sausage.
I'm covering getting on for 30 passwords like this. And they're not foodie ones

Last edited by BristolUK; Sep 30th 2017 at 1:48 am.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th 2017, 1:51 am   #32
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

So you would keep the hints written down somewhere for sites that don't give you hints, makes sense. A lot of sites will not tell you up front what the format of the password it. You get 3 attempts and then you have to reset it. It's only when creating a new password it tells you the restrictions. Seems easier to use a password manager unless you do not have many sites and know the restrictions.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 2:04 am   #33
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So you would keep the hints written down somewhere for sites that don't give you hints, makes sense.
Yes, but you get used to it - or I do - and after time don't need to check.

I guess it's like grocery staff who always know the price or code number of the produce, even when the price changes. I used to do a job that involved numbers for different types of income or job codes...after time you don't need to look them up anymore.

Quote:
A lot of sites will not tell you up front what the format of the password it.
I dunno...one site I use has a permanent display that says it's case sensitive. Another, one hover over the entry field and you're told the format of the format needed.
If I do forget the version requires a number or other symbol, the display tells me and I think to myself "oh yes, silly arse, I forgot the (whatever it is)."

Quote:
Seems easier to use a password manager unless you do not have many sites and know the restrictions.
I manage mine without one, and back a bit I posted that in other articles about them, there have been examples of them not proving 100% secure.

No doubt they are few and far between, just like hackings of Tax Departments, Equifax, Amazon etc are few and far between, but far reaching when it happens.

Last edited by BristolUK; Sep 30th 2017 at 2:06 am.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th 2017, 5:54 am   #34
Wol Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you use keepass on your phone/tablet?

(Assuming this was for me?)

Yes, I use(d) KeePass on my Samsung Galaxy Note pro 12.2" Android tablet - but over the last two weeks this has died again on me so has been scrapped and I've ordered an iPad Pro. (Samsung haven't really got to grips with their batteries and battery management.)

I see that there are several IPad variants of KeePass: since I know little of the Apple system I hope I can transfer all my KeePass data onto it?

Last edited by Wol; Sep 30th 2017 at 5:56 am.
Wol is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab