Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:02 pm   #16
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passwords?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Ah yes...I always wanted to be a spy.
When I was a kid I'd have killed for a Man from U.N.C.L.E. briefcase.
I had the toy version, but the joe 90 one was better...
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:05 pm   #17

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
This does not work quite so well when complex passwords are required.

I am surprised that PIN numbers on ATMs are still only 4 digits

You could use a combination of friends names, addresses, postcodes and DOBs. Concatenating a few of these values would probably suffice.
There was a show recently, the atm makers were showing off facial recognition, voice recognition etc etc, so soom eastern europeans will be hacking off the heads of the machine users 😱
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:10 pm   #18
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
There was a show recently, the atm makers were showing off facial recognition, voice recognition etc etc, so soom eastern europeans will be hacking off the heads of the machine users 😱
"And before you ask, no -- it doesn't work with fingers that have been chopped off," he added.

Biometric ATM gives cash via 'finger vein' scan - CNN.com
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:38 pm   #19
What year is this?
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had the toy version, but the joe 90 one was better...
Wash yer mouth out...

Just don't tell me you had a Johnny Seven gun too.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:44 pm   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Wash yer mouth out...

Just don't tell me you had a Johnny Seven gun too.
Lol yes i did, but would you believe i had it in iran, came from macys in NY one christmas, from the american ambassador keen to keep the allies onside via their kids we suspected, we all had one of those or a lovely cowboy rifle, the cap firing grenade was awesome...

Btw - its a johnny 7 OMA - one man army - got to name it right...

Last edited by uk_grenada; Aug 7th 2017 at 4:48 pm.
uk_grenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:55 pm   #21
What year is this?
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

@uk_grenada These?

Old Aug 7th 2017, 5:52 pm   #22

A bit rudimentary, my dad was a nuclear physicist running a big research institute for CENTO, we has a science club at the embassy school, on Nov 5th we mixed aluminium powder, iron oxide and lit it with a bit of magnesium - on top of an old engine block. We made thermite and it melted the block in less than a minute.

Ammonium tri-iodide was also quite good fun. One of my class mates was one of the shah's kids, in science don't mess with a kid whose dad has an airforce, whose dad could arrange anything - there was talk of a barbecue with the Americans they held at a quiet air field near isfahan, they all arrived in the equivalent of emirati sports cars, the Iranians and some Americans had personalised fighter jets, the Saudis still do, there's that prince that flies for their airforce, plus they have a woman combat pilot - https://alchetron.com/Mariam-al-Mansouri-223094-W
Old Aug 7th 2017, 6:13 pm   #23

One year the shah was taken to farnborough to buy toys, he loved it so much he wanted one.

So they shut down Tehran airport for the day, it's like shutting down Heathrow because you want to have a show. His supporters the British and the Americans turned up with their new toys to show them off and of course the iranians showed newly purchased toys as well.

The RAF Vulcan Victor and lightnings with no silly restrictions about supersonic flying or letting of missiles and guns into the desert put on a lovely show.

The red arrows were I'm pretty sure flying a lot faster than is usual.

The American B52, F1-11 Their formation flying display team and paratroops were good, The only real fly in the ointment was the Iranian paratroops who well let's just say they didn't land very accurately and one of them came down rather too fast.

With hindsight, wasn't the Vulcan a semi secret weapon? We were allowed to crawl all over it as kids , but our friend the shahs kid was there too...
Old Aug 7th 2017, 7:20 pm   #24
What year is this?
Premium Member

Quote:
A bit rudimentary...

And you say it was a toy UNCLE briefcase, not a real one?
Old Aug 7th 2017, 7:31 pm   #25

Definitely, I never managed to damage my sister. However, if the prince had asked i feel sure daddy would have let him try anything his guards had in their pockets - nice men with british german? or american accents looked after him.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Aug 7th 2017 at 7:35 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:57 pm   #26
Wol Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

BristolUK:

>>How many people need that many though? 2 or 3 bank sites, couple of government sites, Amazon and a couple of other retails, news, the odd forum or other social media.<<

Well, I don't know about anyone else but I have well over 100 passwords. And don't forget the usernames or whatever each site calls them. Also, don't forget that seemingly innocuous sites, which you may use a generic password for, can yield enough information about you - especially if someone gets hold of two or three of them - to make it a virtual certainty that the criminal involved can phone the bank or whatever and answer enough questions to enter or change the P/W.

I've been using KeePass for as long as I can remember: the master password to open the KeePass file is 128 characters long - I have no idea what it is because it's kept on a USB stick which is used to open the app initially. (Copy is on a CD in the safe.)

The problem is that even with a few dozen passwords if you go by some of the methods above you have to remember which username goes with which P/W and some sites require you to change the P/W every 3 months or so: you've a hell of a lot better memory than I if you can remember all the combinations!

Last edited by Wol; Sep 29th 2017 at 12:00 am.
Wol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:07 pm   #27
What year is this?
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wol View Post
Well, I don't know about anyone else but I have well over 100 passwords. And don't forget the usernames or whatever each site calls them. ...
My earlier post showed that a base of 4 or 5 words can yield over 20, along with hints that won't mean a thing to a stranger, or even a good friend - so long as you don't plaster favourite band, team, movie etc all over facebook or something and then use those words.

I just went through my saved sites. I had more than I thought needing passwords but still under 30 though.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:20 pm   #28
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

But then some site only require special characters, some only allow certain special characters and some allow none. How do you deal with that?
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:29 pm   #29
Wol Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
But then some site only require special characters, some only allow certain special characters and some allow none. How do you deal with that?
Exactly. And isn't it aggravating when they only tell you what they accept AFTER you've tried?
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:41 pm   #30
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you use keepass on your phone/tablet?

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab