Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Aug 24th 2017, 11:34 am   #31
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New computer won't work with LG monitor

Whats your view on microsofts continued use of HAL in the light of Intels new memory strategy for its systems? Is it a continued benefit to hardware independance or an increasingly costly way [for users] to slow down processing. Discuss.

[this is a real exam question incidentally if you want to work in R&D for ARM.]
Old Aug 24th 2017, 11:38 am   #32

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The HP 8300 works great with the little $10 wifi dongle. I'll probably never again buy a computer of any kind with a standard hard drive. SSD all the way.

I don't even need that much space on a hard drive. Most of my files are in the cloud and backed up to a flash drive.
Absolutely, but usage will all change over the next couple of years, and ssd's as we know them now might not survive, as the hardware engineers move to integrate into one world without interfaces what is now ram with what is now ssd.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:01 pm   #33
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
Absolutely, but usage will all change over the next couple of years, and ssd's as we know them now might not survive, as the hardware engineers move to integrate into one world without interfaces what is now ram with what is now ssd.
But what I have now works for me, and the solution was cheap. I'm trying to document my progress with a minimum of complaints.

Quote:
Whats your view on microsofts continued use of HAL...
The HAL series will be discontinued, due to its proclivity for taking over the ship. "Daisy, Daisy, listen to me now..."
manekeniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:10 pm   #34

The memory thing is just to explain why its all going to change - we can expect future os's from all the manufacturers to speed up 'disk' performance by factors of thousands percent, ssd's will seem slow, but that doesnt mean the old stuff stops working - well not for a while. To give you an idea of how slow disk subsystems are - initial internals training goes something like this. We write the buffer to ram, and push the parameters for the write, then vector to the disk interrupt handler then sleep for 70 years in the hope that a kiss from the interrupt handler will awaken us on completion of the physical write.

HAL is part of windows, the hardware abstraction layer seperates the os from the underlying firm/hardware and makes it easier to code for, but is a bottleneck. Windows was written by a team lead by the guy who managed the vax vms os, which had something similar. In fact windows was/is nothing new, most of its functionality is via older os's for minicomputers, even the some of mighty ibm mainframe concepts are in there, just a little smaller in scale :-)

Last edited by uk_grenada; Aug 24th 2017 at 1:15 pm.
uk_grenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th 2017, 6:13 pm   #35
What year is this?
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
..."Daisy, Daisy..."

BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th 2017, 4:29 pm   #36
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
.....We write the buffer to ram, and push the parameters for the write, then vector to the disk interrupt handler then sleep for 70 years in the hope that a kiss from the interrupt handler will awaken us on completion of the physical write.
HAL is part of windows, the hardware abstraction layer seperates the os from the underlying firm/hardware and makes it easier to code for, but is a bottleneck. Windows was written by a team lead by the guy who managed the vax vms os, which had something similar. In fact windows was/is nothing new, most of its functionality is via older os's for minicomputers, even the some of mighty ibm mainframe concepts are in there, just a little smaller in scale :-)
You obviously know your stuff, that I wouldn't deny. For a moment though it brought back thoughts of Stanley Unwin.......
Spoiler:
Old Aug 26th 2017, 3:39 am   #37
Hostage Negotiator
Premium Member

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

The Professor knew his computer stuff too and was probably strutting it well before before uk_grandad:-

He was also of the view that the dreaded BSOD was probably caused by ink leaking in the screen, at least I think that's what he said
InVinoVeritas is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab