Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Aug 20th 2017, 4:31 pm   #16
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New computer won't work with LG monitor

I have an Apple and have been using them for 20+ years. Typing this on a Macbook Air.

The HP started up and shut down in seconds and I have never seen such speed. I can't wait to see what it will be capable of when the wifi dongle arrives. This was my first look at Windows 10, and the tiled layout actually reminds me of Steve Jobs's old computer, NeXt.
manekeniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th 2017, 6:37 pm   #17
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

My macbook pro completes boot up in about 4 seconds, but honestly i use an ipad pro and ms orifice 365 most of the time, cant beat excel and word, but windows - i wont say never - but its a lot more hassle and somewhat buggier imho than either apple option.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 9:37 pm   #18
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

I have an older Macbook that boots in about 14 seconds and I'm a happy camper as long as it keeps working.

The HP is a replacement for an older HP tower with a dying hard drive. Work compels me to use a PC sometimes so I have to get on with it. I wanted something fast, inexpensive and with a similar footprint as a Mac Mini. I'm moving and don't want to move with a large computer.

It was only about $200. You can't beat the value for an i5 SSD.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 6:06 pm   #19
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Still a little off-topic, but possibly of interest to some. This is coming to you from an even older Mac, a 2003 PowerBook Ti G4 with PPC processor i.e. pre Intel. With an SSD which I've installed and maxed out memory, it boots to desktop in 29secs - compared to 1min 15 with the original 4200rpm HD. It runs all the MS office, PhotoShop and other programs I need, and with a little TLC and highly-tweaked & updated web browser, streams web-radios and also YTube video clips like a champ.
A great little laptop, price 22pounds!
Spoiler:
New computer won't work with LG monitor-tibookaug23a.jpg

Spoiler:
New computer won't work with LG monitor-tibookaug23b.jpg

Spoiler:
New computer won't work with LG monitor-dtop1.jpg
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 7:17 pm   #20

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy an etch-a-sketch for less, or as we call then, executive laptops. I well remember giving a director a new and top of the range dell. 3 years later i recalled it for replacement. It was in its original bag, unused, so i didnt bother to send him another despite protestations. He then asked for a blackberry which i supplied but said he wanted a phone but didnt want to actually enter any info, his pa would complete his diary and contacts. Technically We made his pa the owner and he the read only pa, the pa said this nomeclature made him most upset but that he was 'safer' that way.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 7:22 pm   #21

I cant help thinking microsoft lie about booting, they are still struggling into life a minute or 2 after they say you can start to work. At least macos is really open for business when you get to the desktop.

Its all however a question of what you are used to. If you have roaming profiles and are at a new place, a 5 minute boot up is often considered acceptable. In an operating theatre, a request to display 6 terabyte scans needs to run in sub 6 seconds or surgeons start calling IT, and this is why big hospitals spit on cisco infrastructure, they need carrier grade core networks.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Aug 23rd 2017 at 7:26 pm.
uk_grenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 8:09 pm   #22
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Why are any of you rebooting at all? I cant remember the last time I turned off my PC (home or work).
Nutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 8:11 pm   #23
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
Its all however a question of what you are used to. If you have roaming profiles and are at a new place, a 5 minute boot up is often considered acceptable. In an operating theatre, a request to display 6 terabyte scans needs to run in sub 6 seconds or surgeons start calling IT, and this is why big hospitals spit on cisco infrastructure, they need carrier grade core networks.
Agreed on Roaming Profiles. Dreadful (and eliminated for us, thankfully).
Old Aug 24th 2017, 12:38 am   #24
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Why are any of you rebooting at all? I cant remember the last time I turned off my PC (home or work).
I was wondering the same thing. I do actually have another install of Windows on a second SSD for gaming but the fact that means shutting down all my work and rebooting means I very rarely boot in to it.
SpoogleDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:14 am   #25

Yiu reboot windows because it leaks memory like a seive, you reboot macos because why not, it doesnt take any time.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:20 am   #26
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Quote:
Yiu reboot windows because it leaks memory like a seive, you reboot macos because why not, it doesnt take any time.
Total bollocks then.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:35 am   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Total bollocks then.
Yes, though i strongly suspect you dont understand, windows is like that, per 24 hour period, win10 leaks about .25gb on my sisters pc, win7 was worse to be fair, and its not down just to microsoft but to whatever applications you run, but the os sucks at virtual memory compaction. It doesnt appear to do it frankly, unlike linux or macos, preferring to do a quiet background blue screen / process restart [read sledge hammering the machine] when it goes tixx up.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 2:49 am   #28
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

If we're making assumptions based on small scale studies then Macs are far inferior, all the Mac minis I've used are terrible compared to my Windows 10 laptop, I may have spent 3K on the laptop and put another 1k of SSDs in it and the minis only cost $500 but apparently it's a fair comparison. The Macs constantly hang and pretty much always have to update and reboot.

If I based everything on what my sisters and my mom did to computers I'd never touch one regardless of the OS.
SpoogleDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th 2017, 10:49 am   #29
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Quote:
Yes, though i strongly suspect you dont understand, windows is like that, per 24 hour period, win10 leaks about .25gb on my sisters pc, win7 was worse to be fair, and its not down just to microsoft but to whatever applications you run, but the os sucks at virtual memory compaction. It doesnt appear to do it frankly, unlike linux or macos, preferring to do a quiet background blue screen / process restart [read sledge hammering the machine] when it goes tixx up.
Oh. I understand Windows perfectly well thank you.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 11:32 am   #30
Horrid Yank

The HP 8300 works great with the little $10 wifi dongle. I'll probably never again buy a computer of any kind with a standard hard drive. SSD all the way.

I don't even need that much space on a hard drive. Most of my files are in the cloud and backed up to a flash drive.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab