Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Apr 21st 2017, 10:00 pm   #1
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute
Default New computer won't work with LG monitor

I invited trouble into my life when I bought a used HP Elite 8300 Ultra Slim to replace my old PC with a dying hard drive. The old PC worked fine with my monitor, a LG E238.

When I connect the new computer to the monitor, the monitor goes to sleep immediately and gives me a message "DVI sleep mode" or something like that.

The two are connected using a DVI to VGA line along with a VGA adapter. Previously, when I connected the two with a HMDI to VGA, I got a "check signal cable" message. A VGA to VGA cable is on order. Will it help?

I tested out the line by plugging it into a PC laptop and got the same error message, and the monitor likewise went to sleep. I don't think the line is at fault, and probably not the computers.

The monitor turns on fine, I get a splash screen, and then it goes to sleep when connected to a PC. I can't even ascertain if the new computer is functional because of the monitor. Is the monitor shot? What do I do here?

Last edited by manekeniko; Apr 21st 2017 at 10:11 pm. Reason: hp pavilion elite hpe-210f was the old computer.
manekeniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st 2017, 10:40 pm   #2
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New computer won't work with LG monitor

The HP forums may shed some insight and I will follow these directions. I'll post back here if these instructions help me fix it (I'm a Mac person).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph04760
Old Apr 21st 2017, 11:14 pm   #3
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

When you connected your laptop to the line did you go to display settings and see if it had detected the the external screen? It may have detected it but not extended or mirrored your display to it.

I've had a quick Google and can't find too much out about the monitor but if it says it has a DVI-D port it won't accept a signal from a VGA port regardless of whether you use an adapter or not and the cable can't convert analogue to digital. If that's the problem then going VGA to VGA will probably resolve it.

I also Googled the HP Elite 8300 and it appears to have 2 display ports but no HDMI ports so either you were plugging an HDMI cable into the display port or Google has let me down and I have no idea what ports you have on the back of your new computer.
SpoogleDrummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st 2017, 11:23 pm   #4
Horrid Yank

The HP Elite 8300 is a compact model so it's a bit port challenged. There's VGA and that's it. I connected it initially using the monitor's HDMI -> VGA.

I hadn't thought of the mirroring and not really a PC person. I'll try your idea if HP's advice doesn't work. For tonight I need to chill. This hasn't been my day and I make things worse when confused-cranky-tired.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 1:12 am   #5
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

whats the operating system on the laptop.
how old is the monitor.
geoff52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 1:27 am   #6
Horrid Yank

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff52 View Post
whats the operating system on the laptop.
how old is the monitor.
The monitor is about 4 years old. It starts up normally when I power up. The OS is Windows 10 on the new PC and Win 7 on the laptop.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 2:19 am   #7
Gozit Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
When you connected your laptop to the line did you go to display settings and see if it had detected the the external screen? It may have detected it but not extended or mirrored your display to it.

I've had a quick Google and can't find too much out about the monitor but if it says it has a DVI-D port it won't accept a signal from a VGA port regardless of whether you use an adapter or not and the cable can't convert analogue to digital. If that's the problem then going VGA to VGA will probably resolve it.

I also Googled the HP Elite 8300 and it appears to have 2 display ports but no HDMI ports so either you were plugging an HDMI cable into the display port or Google has let me down and I have no idea what ports you have on the back of your new computer.
+1.

FWIW the elite 8300 are a good PC, business oriented. We use them at the place where I co-op (in I.T.)

Would you mind posting a photo of the back of the PC so we can see what ports it has?
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 11:45 pm   #8
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
+1.

FWIW the elite 8300 are a good PC, business oriented. We use them at the place where I co-op (in I.T.)

Would you mind posting a photo of the back of the PC so we can see what ports it has?
Assuming they are using the integrated graphics, it should be VGA /Display Port. We have had issues getting the Display Port .. uhh.. port working on some of these.
Nutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th 2017, 8:35 pm   #9

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Your VGA to VGA cable will work. It will send an analogue signal to the monitor. For a better image you might decide to use a digital connection instead of the cable you ordered. Your PC has two Display Port connectors (digital) and a VGA port (analogue) and the monitor has a DVI-D (digital) and VGA (analogue) port.

Your VGA cable will work just fine, but this one should work 'better' as it provides a digital connection between PC and monitor.
https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-A...dp/B01GPMRXL0/

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I invited trouble into my life when I bought a used HP Elite 8300 Ultra Slim to replace my old PC with a dying hard drive. The old PC worked fine with my monitor, a LG E238.

When I connect the new computer to the monitor, the monitor goes to sleep immediately and gives me a message "DVI sleep mode" or something like that.

The two are connected using a DVI to VGA line along with a VGA adapter. Previously, when I connected the two with a HMDI to VGA, I got a "check signal cable" message. A VGA to VGA cable is on order. Will it help?

I tested out the line by plugging it into a PC laptop and got the same error message, and the monitor likewise went to sleep. I don't think the line is at fault, and probably not the computers.

The monitor turns on fine, I get a splash screen, and then it goes to sleep when connected to a PC. I can't even ascertain if the new computer is functional because of the monitor. Is the monitor shot? What do I do here?
thinbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th 2017, 9:40 pm   #10
Horrid Yank

Hey, I'm back and sorry about the late response (busy selling house, dunning clients, etc.).

I found the solution to the problem, which was to buy a cheap VGA cable. It didn't like my connection via the other video ports. Check, moving on.

Once it finally started with a normal display, I couldn't connect to the internet and saw no wifi options. After lots of hair-pulling, I finally figured out there's no wifi card. I went ahead and bought a cheap dongle from eBay and waiting on this now. Check, moving on.

Then I tried to install some CD software on my dead-to the-internet HP. The CD drive is unresponsive. Maybe there's a new bit of firmware needed? Can't download that now. I used a cheap plastic external drive. Check, moving on.

Anyway, that's all the troubles I have for now. I'm sure there will be more. I was so aggravated by this problem I avoided working on the PC for weeks, looking at this thread with people trying to help me and the forum in general. (Yes, I have avoidance issues.)

So there you go.

Last edited by manekeniko; Aug 19th 2017 at 9:42 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 1:54 am   #11
What year is this?
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So there you go.
Never mind all that...what happened here?
Dying to know
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th 2017, 3:51 am   #12
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Never mind all that...what happened here? ....
Quote:
.... Dying to know.
Likewise.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 10:50 am   #13
Horrid Yank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post

Likewise.
You two yentas...

Friend is as dear as ever but still needs an upgrade. I downloaded a couple of new friends, and so far they're working as promised by the manufacturer.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 12:33 pm   #14
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
.... Friend is as dear as ever but still needs an upgrade. .....
To his operating system.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 1:54 pm   #15
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Or [sorry, i just had to] buy an apple. What convinced me was my support service. My mother has had a new microsoft based laptop every 3-4 years forever. She would have a problem circa every 3 months which i would have to solve. 3 years ago i said - have an ipad, not a call since and she now uses it as a video phone, tv, organiser etc etc. she will upgrade it next year and i know this is a totally painless procedure.

Very impressed with the ios11 stuff as the ipad morphs into a laptop, but with none of the bloatware.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab