Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:33 am   #1
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kindle

I have a Kindle paper white in a cheapo Chinese cover.

When first purchased on opening the cover I had to swipe the screen to bring it to life.

However a few months ago it started to spring into life immediately on opening the case which I found convenient.

A few days ago it reverted to swiping.

I cannot find any setting for this so has anyone any ideas?
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:54 am   #2
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle

Nope! My wife has a paperwhite and cover which works as you say - open cover, swipe to to wake up. All I can think is that the magnet in the cover is not closing the (reed?) switch in the kindle to shut it down. Have you asked on the Kindle Forums on Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200127470

Choose your kindle version and there's loads of help available.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:56 am   #3
Fair and balanced
Premium Member

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I dont really know but.....
To the best of my knowledge, opening a case wakes it up, but if you have an ad supported Kindle, you still need to swipe, unless you pay the $20.00 extra (or it's local equivalent).
So, maybe you have a non-ad enabled Kindle in which case have you enabled ads/special offers in the settings?

Last edited by kimilseung; Jun 18th 2017 at 7:59 am.
kimilseung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th 2017, 11:02 am   #4
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

Quiltman I followed your link to find:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindl...&cdSort=newest
Which has a 1000 discussions and no search facility

kimilseung I cannot even find ads/special offers in the settings.

To recap it is working fine as per it's operation when originally purchased from Stapples in Manteca California.May 2014
The cheapo cover is intact totally undamaged pristine.

The comming to life on opening the cover without swiping started without any input from myself as is the case with it now reverting to swiping.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 2:44 pm   #5
Fair and balanced
Premium Member

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Then it sounds like you now have a Kindle that is working as designed and that you had a short lived glitch that gave a better experience.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:19 pm   #6
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Then it sounds like you now have a Kindle that is working as designed and that you had a short lived glitch that gave a better experience.
I think you are right but the glitch was an improvement
Old Jun 19th 2017, 12:41 am   #7
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
sorry, I did not complete the link! Once you're on that page, go to the LHS and you'll see "ask the Kindle Help community" , then you end up here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...ss_qs_v3_dv_kh where you can use the search facility or ask a question. Apologies!
Old Jun 19th 2017, 1:42 am   #8
Fair and balanced
Premium Member

Quote:
Yes, if you ever manage to reproduce it, I hope you let us know how.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 3:46 am   #9
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Yes, if you ever manage to reproduce it, I hope you let us know how.
Yes please! My wife has an ad supported kindle and it would be an advantage to just open the cover and go straight to the book she's reading. My old kindle keyboard does this - switch on and you're back where you left off.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:16 am   #10
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The last link provided by quiltman works and gives me access to the search function, Thanks.

However when searching for swipe there are still 300 threads.

So far the most useful is the following which confirms this function exists and it's not my imagination.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...x2HE2GIJAHLJM4
Old Jun 20th 2017, 11:56 am   #11
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another swipe reference

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...x1C53Q2ONKH98R

With poster saying he solved the problem, but never explained how
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:27 pm   #12
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Another swipe reference

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...x1C53Q2ONKH98R

With poster saying he solved the problem, but never explained how
go back to that page Fred. It's been updated with a link to how to reset it!

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab