Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Sep 13th 2017, 1:36 pm   #1
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm in trouble

Big trouble. Hoping that someone will be able to help, although I'm not confident. Brief synopsis

I live in the UK but am currently in Australia
I use a laptop in the UK but have brought my new HP stream with me to use while away. Haven't used this back in the UK to log into my Outlook mail account, have only ever used my laptop.
Have tried to log into my Outlook mail account on the new HP Stream from my current location of Australia. My email address and password was accepted, but I then get a message something along the lines of 'something unusual has been detected' blah blah blah, so I need to verify my account
Haven't updated my security stuff in my account since I last lived in Oz 2 years ago, so the phone number attached to the account is wrong.

So - can't into my Outlook mail account because I can't verify the old security details on it, and there will be some pretty urgent business emails in there that I need to read and respond to.

I'm royally stuffed, aren't I? Not having slept in 30 hours isn't helping, I just feel like packing up and going home (my UK home).
Old Sep 13th 2017, 4:33 pm   #2
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Big trouble. Hoping that someone will be able to help, although I'm not confident. Brief synopsis

I live in the UK but am currently in Australia
I use a laptop in the UK but have brought my new HP stream with me to use while away. Haven't used this back in the UK to log into my Outlook mail account, have only ever used my laptop.
Have tried to log into my Outlook mail account on the new HP Stream from my current location of Australia. My email address and password was accepted, but I then get a message something along the lines of 'something unusual has been detected' blah blah blah, so I need to verify my account
Haven't updated my security stuff in my account since I last lived in Oz 2 years ago, so the phone number attached to the account is wrong.

So - can't into my Outlook mail account because I can't verify the old security details on it, and there will be some pretty urgent business emails in there that I need to read and respond to.

I'm royally stuffed, aren't I? Not having slept in 30 hours isn't helping, I just feel like packing up and going home (my UK home).
Anything here?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-help-by-email
Nutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:49 pm   #3
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
That looks very promising, thanks Nutek! One shall have copious amounts of coffee and then give that a try.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 10:09 pm   #4
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
That looks very promising, thanks Nutek! One shall have copious amounts of coffee and then give that a try.

Hope it works for you.
Nutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:29 pm   #5

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Did it work? I'm on the edge of my seat here.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 9:52 pm   #6
BEVS 
BE Site Lead
Administrator

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Glad I'm not the only one.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 2:05 am   #7
Concierge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
No! It's an email help desk and I don't have an email address. Can't open another account because the Google people have gone all suspicious on me and frozen everything.

I've sorted out the two most pressing things though, so it's not a total disaster. We brought a rental house in the UK and completion was delayed, went through 3 days before we left. Only had that time to get the house ready for a tenant, so I threw the keys to the estate agent and she (bless her) is handling it all. I need to be in touch with her to liaise about prospective tenants. I called her and (bless her again!) she added me as a Facebook friend, so we're in touch through messaging. Strangest way to do business, but needs must!

The other thing was being able to keep in touch with our pet/housesitters, but we're doing that via FB too.

puffpuff, I need a holiday. Oh.....
Old Sep 15th 2017, 8:56 am   #8
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

I am confused.. you go on about an Outlook account and then complain about Google locking you out?

Obviously there are some 'configuration problems' with your whole setup.

There are recovery procedures for both Microsoft and Google accounts, even if the phone number is invalid. It may involve making a phone call to the relevant helpdesk.

Both companies have stepped up their security procedures to prevent fraud and spamming. If you suddenly log in from another continent then two-factor checks are needed to 'check that it's you'. Go through the steps and make a note of your passwords and security questions.
calman014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 11:44 am   #9
Concierge

Quote:
Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
I am confused.. you go on about an Outlook account and then complain about Google locking you out?

Obviously there are some 'configuration problems' with your whole setup.

There are recovery procedures for both Microsoft and Google accounts, even if the phone number is invalid. It may involve making a phone call to the relevant helpdesk.

Both companies have stepped up their security procedures to prevent fraud and spamming. If you suddenly log in from another continent then two-factor checks are needed to 'check that it's you'. Go through the steps and make a note of your passwords and security questions.
Terminology error, no doubt brought about by lack of sleep. Could also explain my apparent tendency to 'go on'

It's a Microsoft Outlook account, I went through all the recovery steps and procedures, and I won't be able to recover it until I return to the UK and my usual device.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 12:26 pm   #10
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

OK good luck with that then..!

All the same, I would recommend two factor authentication to anyone. Just make sure you write down your details somewhere!
calman014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab