Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jul 26th 2017, 6:19 am   #1
BEVS 
BE Site Lead
Administrator
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 29,723
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to record live webcam stream ?

I am following a particular live webcam at the moment. It is of a young growing bird whom I hope to meet.
Is there a way I can record some of the live stream please? I can't seem to work it out at all.

Thanks.

__________________
BE Site Lead.
For help, problems and issues. Please feel free to PM or email me. You can also use the contact form.
BEVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:46 am   #2
Ria_ Female
Forum Regular
 
Ria_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Essex
Posts: 42
Ria_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to all
Default Re: How to record live webcam stream ?

Do you have any kind of screen recording software? You could always full-screen the stream and just screen record it. I used to use Fraps, but I'm sure there are plenty of free alternatives.
Ria_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:10 am   #3
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,723
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to record live webcam stream ?

I use Ashampoo Snap 10. The only problem you have is that as it's a stream , you have to record in real time. once you have highlighted the screen area to record, you're stuck as it will only record the highlighted area so you can't do anything else. I found out the hard way years ago. Watching stream, highlighted recording area started recording then like a wally, opened another website. Recorded this site instead!
__________________
If I voice an opinion - it's just that, an opinion!
quiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:16 am   #4
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,723
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to record live webcam stream ?

Have a look here - it shows how to "mark out" the capture area as well , down at bottom of page.
https://blogs.techsmith.com/tips-how...reaming-video/
__________________
If I voice an opinion - it's just that, an opinion!
quiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:17 am   #5
Ria_ Female
Forum Regular
 
Ria_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Essex
Posts: 42
Ria_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to all
Default Re: How to record live webcam stream ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltman View Post
I use Ashampoo Snap 10. The only problem you have is that as it's a stream , you have to record in real time. once you have highlighted the screen area to record, you're stuck as it will only record the highlighted area so you can't do anything else. I found out the hard way years ago. Watching stream, highlighted recording area started recording then like a wally, opened another website. Recorded this site instead!
Some programs allow you to specify which program you want to be recording, so it doesn't matter how many windows you layer over the top of it. Otherwise, if you have a second monitor, you could always full screen it on that and set the program to record that monitor only.
Ria_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:52 am   #6
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,723
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to record live webcam stream ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria_ View Post
Some programs allow you to specify which program you want to be recording, so it doesn't matter how many windows you layer over the top of it. Otherwise, if you have a second monitor, you could always full screen it on that and set the program to record that monitor only.
What a good idea!
__________________
If I voice an opinion - it's just that, an opinion!
quiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th 2017, 1:23 pm   #7
You aint seen me, right?
 
SpoogleDrummer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: US of A, TN
Posts: 1,795
SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to record live webcam stream ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I am following a particular live webcam at the moment. It is of a young growing bird whom I hope to meet.
Is there a way I can record some of the live stream please? I can't seem to work it out at all.

Thanks.
I have nothing useful to add but this could easily be a quote from Gary Glitter.
SpoogleDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th 2017, 1:28 pm   #8
Ria_ Female
Forum Regular
 
Ria_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Essex
Posts: 42
Ria_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to all
Default Re: How to record live webcam stream ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
I have nothing useful to add but this could easily be a quote from Gary Glitter.
😂😂😂

Now I'm second-guessing my interpretation of the original post...
Ria_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th 2017, 5:41 am   #9
BEVS 
BE Site Lead
Administrator
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 29,723
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to record live webcam stream ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
I have nothing useful to add but this could easily be a quote from Gary Glitter.
C'mon, come on.


Tumanako otherwise known as Webby, Royal Albatross chick soon to fully fledge.
__________________
BE Site Lead.
For help, problems and issues. Please feel free to PM or email me. You can also use the contact form.
BEVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st 2017, 12:27 am   #10
Gozit Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,151
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to record live webcam stream ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria_ View Post
Do you have any kind of screen recording software? You could always full-screen the stream and just screen record it. I used to use Fraps, but I'm sure there are plenty of free alternatives.
This would be my suggestion as well.

If you have an old/unused computer somewhere, could always fire it up and run the screen recording software on it

Did a quick google and found FlashBack Express which should do the job for free.

The only trouble with doing windowed mode as some suggest is you won't get it to full screen in windowed mode, you would have all the other garbage and the comments in the way of your livestream. But the downside to running in full screen is you can't use the PC for anything else while recording.

HTH
__________________
Maltese citizen - 2014
Europe...2020 ....
Gozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st 2017, 8:11 am   #11
Ria_ Female
Forum Regular
 
Ria_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Essex
Posts: 42
Ria_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to all
Default Re: How to record live webcam stream ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
This would be my suggestion as well.

If you have an old/unused computer somewhere, could always fire it up and run the screen recording software on it

Did a quick google and found FlashBack Express which should do the job for free.

The only trouble with doing windowed mode as some suggest is you won't get it to full screen in windowed mode, you would have all the other garbage and the comments in the way of your livestream. But the downside to running in full screen is you can't use the PC for anything else while recording.

HTH
If you can run the stream in full screen windowed mode though, then the stream will be full screen but allow you to still use other windows on top without comments/browser/Start menu interface. That's if you find a screen recorder that allows you to choose the window to record.

Otherwise, if you have a second monitor but no secondary PC then you can just run it full screen on the second monitor and move the Start bar to just your primary window. So you still have access to everything on your primary monitor but will just have to be careful not to drag anything to your secondary monitor.

Another thing to think about is the length of the stream. Raw video files can be huuuuuge. If you're going to be recording for hours, then you'll need to ensure plenty of space to store the footage.

I remember with Fraps, you could choose the software to record in 3 minute intervals too. So if you run out of space, you'll have all the video files from previous. Also, if something goes wrong with the recording, you won't have ruined the single video file. You'll still have all the 3 minute video files leading up to it. Then you can compile all the footage in any old video editor, and reduce the file size.
Ria_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st 2017, 9:41 pm   #12
Gozit Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Gozit's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,151
Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to record live webcam stream ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria_ View Post
If you can run the stream in full screen windowed mode though, then the stream will be full screen but allow you to still use other windows on top without comments/browser/Start menu interface. That's if you find a screen recorder that allows you to choose the window to record.

Otherwise, if you have a second monitor but no secondary PC then you can just run it full screen on the second monitor and move the Start bar to just your primary window. So you still have access to everything on your primary monitor but will just have to be careful not to drag anything to your secondary monitor.

Another thing to think about is the length of the stream. Raw video files can be huuuuuge. If you're going to be recording for hours, then you'll need to ensure plenty of space to store the footage.

I remember with Fraps, you could choose the software to record in 3 minute intervals too. So if you run out of space, you'll have all the video files from previous. Also, if something goes wrong with the recording, you won't have ruined the single video file. You'll still have all the 3 minute video files leading up to it. Then you can compile all the footage in any old video editor, and reduce the file size.
I just tried using Chrome in a non-full screen window on YouTube, pressing fullscreen in the YouTube video does not just make the Chrome window full screen, it makes the entire video fullscreen.

Thus if you want to record in full screen, you have to dedicate the whole PC (or just one monitor if you have multiple monitors) to doing it.

Agreed on the space. Recording in 3 min intervals is a good idea.
__________________
Maltese citizen - 2014
Europe...2020 ....
Gozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 2:27 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com