Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Closed Thread

Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:02 pm   #1
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Could you use Freesat in the US or elsewhere?

For those who are familiar with Freesat, you can punch in your post code and you get the programming from that locality (so I could punch in a Birmingham postcode and not have to keep getting the STV dross that I get).

I was wondering whether, as the signal is from a satellite (essentially via a Sky dish) not an aerial or mast, you culd potentially receive Freesat in, say, France (punch in a southern England postcode), or even the US?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:17 pm   #2
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could you use Freesat in the US or elsewhere?

Flat-earth believers would certainly pick it up. Probably most of the bible-belt I would think.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:24 pm   #3
Bob Male
Not so super superslob

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the cone from the satellite, chances are parts of France probably could.

But in the US? Even if you had a dish the size of England, you'd not pick up a signal

Immigrants should be tarred and feathered....Yes, I like it kinky.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:28 pm   #4
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

It may be possible..

there is a video around (but is has been removed from youtube!) about a german chap in brazil, who has a home made 8m dish! and he just about gets the analogue signals from astra 1 satellites, and some digital ones also...

In france and most of europe you can use any UK postcode in a freesat box to receive channels...the post code just determines the regions for 101, 102, 103, and 104. In fact BBC1 Channels Islands is one of the weakest signals for us in spain, but ITV1 Channel Isalnds is one of the strongest, so the thought that punching in a southern UK postcode for use in France is better, is not the case!

the limitation of channels you get would be dish size required. In France 80cm dish gets all channels, areas on eastern spain 2.4m dishes...

but the freesat box will start to work as long as it can get its EPG data from Eurobird 1 satellite...but it may be hard to get the main UK TV channels from the much weaker spot beam Astra 2d...

In the US a HUGE dish would be required, as the UK TV satellites are centered and focused on the UK, not USA... but as the videos above show, it is may not be impossible!
Like Us on Facebook for the latest UK TV News ***

Last edited by The Guy; Feb 15th 2011 at 10:03 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:47 pm   #5
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
or even the US?
Good luck with that
http://www.ses-astra.com/business/en...-map/index.php

May need one of these:
http://www.naic.edu/public/about/photos/hires/ao011.jpg
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab