Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Sep 17th 2017, 4:55 pm   #1
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Backing up WD or Buffalo NAS to the cloud

I have been using crash42 to backup my NAS off site. Unfortunately they have stopped their home user service and I have now got to find a new solution. Does anyone have recommendations for backing up a NAS to the cloud?
Old Sep 17th 2017, 7:34 pm   #2
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Backing up WD or Buffalo NAS to the cloud

BOX
DROPBOX
GOOGLE
ONE DRIVE

Depending on your NAS (I use Synology) there are third party apps available to access most of the common Cloud services.
calman014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:08 pm   #3
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
BOX
DROPBOX
GOOGLE
ONE DRIVE

Depending on your NAS (I use Synology) there are third party apps available to access most of the common Cloud services.
I always thought those services were for smallish amounts of data, 10's of GB, not terabytes. Do the third party apps provide secure encryption to these services? Can you requests a hard drive containing the back if needed?

Crash42 is suggesting Carbonite, but that only backs up mapped drives. So I would need to leave a PC switched on.

It looks like Synology is the only NAS that supports S3 and Glacier out of the box.

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 17th 2017 at 10:11 pm.
mrken30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th 2017, 10:20 am   #4
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not store Terrabytes in the cloud anyway.
You are better buying a second NAS.

I run an 'operational NAS' that runs 24/7, and a 'Reserve NAS' that is used for occasional backups from the main. The reserve is always stored at a different address and has 2 sets of hard drives. Just a matter of developing your own strategy.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 12:20 pm   #5
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Another Synology user here. I use Backblaze B2 for cloud stuff. So far, no complaints with their service. Don't know if WD or Buffalo produces support it.
celticgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th 2017, 9:58 pm   #6
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
I would not store Terrabytes in the cloud anyway.
You are better buying a second NAS.

I run an 'operational NAS' that runs 24/7, and a 'Reserve NAS' that is used for occasional backups from the main. The reserve is always stored at a different address and has 2 sets of hard drives. Just a matter of developing your own strategy.
The model I had was one NAS backed up to another NAS nightly. The second NAS then backed up to the cloud automatically. Unfortunately I don't have a anywhere off site to place a second NAS close by.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 10:02 pm   #7
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticgrid View Post
Another Synology user here. I use Backblaze B2 for cloud stuff. So far, no complaints with their service. Don't know if WD or Buffalo produces support it.
Thanks, the Synology option is a bit more spendy than the WD or Buffalo offerings. Maybe its time to spend out on some new hardware. I dont really want to use rsync to AWS.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:58 pm   #8
wtkp0u 
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of lightwtkp0u is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
I have been using crash42 to backup my NAS off site. Unfortunately they have stopped their home user service and I have now got to find a new solution. Does anyone have recommendations for backing up a NAS to the cloud?
You might be able to use this - https://www.duplicati.com/

I use it on a PC but it says it can be run on a headless system/NAS.

Block based backup to S3, OneDrive, ftp, etc. Open source.
wtkp0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 12:26 pm   #9
BE Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
The model I had was one NAS backed up to another NAS nightly. The second NAS then backed up to the cloud automatically. Unfortunately I don't have a anywhere off site to place a second NAS close by.
You can slide out the hard drives on a rotational basis and just store them elsewhere..
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 2:12 pm   #10
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I have one buffalo nas in london mirrored to another buffalo nas in the caribbean over the wirld wide wait, smallest part of the pipe is 10mb, seems to work well. Commercial cloud storage is easily purchasable, dont assume its terribly expensive, and most importantly your bandwidth with them will be huge compared with things like icloud dropbox or onedrive.

We used these peopke in the nhs, for backups and sync, you can stream 4k video from their sync services . https://www.redstor.com/en-gb/data-m...latform/backup
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 8:11 pm   #11
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
You can slide out the hard drives on a rotational basis and just store them elsewhere..
I only have single drive NAS boxes. Also I want a hands free solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
I have one buffalo nas in london mirrored to another buffalo nas in the caribbean over the wirld wide wait, smallest part of the pipe is 10mb, seems to work well. Commercial cloud storage is easily purchasable, dont assume its terribly expensive, and most importantly your bandwidth with them will be huge compared with things like icloud dropbox or onedrive.
This is similar to what I have except they are in the same location. I have one NAS in the garage which backs up to the NAS in the basement. It does have the option to use ssl to backup to another Buffalo NAS over the WWW, but I need a site to place the second NAS

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab