Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Jul 28th 2017, 2:05 pm   #16
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AVG PC Tune-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
No idea. I don't even know what it is. Just a random image, not my computer.

Office 365 is there and I'm really not interested in it. But I have noticed that some websites have an email button and if I want to contact them, clicking on the button now takes me to Outlook.com.

I have Thunderbird set as my default email yet the link doesn't take me there and I can only email the company website via Outlook.

I imagine if 365 was sent to sleep, perhaps it wouldn't happen.

Scrub that...I thought Thunderbird was set as the default. Looks like it wasn't.
Ah ok.

Thunderbird is pretty decent imo.

Never had a use for 365.. I prefer to just use a "full" version of office rather than get some subscription-based thing. For as long as we are able, at least.

Windows will allocate resources according to need (mostly) so I honestly don't see the need to think about what is "sleeping" or not in the background.

Nice to see Chrome doing it's normal thing there... Giant bloated POS that it is.
Nutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th 2017, 4:02 pm   #17
What year is this?
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Thunderbird is pretty decent imo....
I'd rather have the real Outlook (for a reasonable cost) but Thunderbird is a good alternative.

I'm not convinced it hasn't lost a couple of emails that I was able to retrieve from Outlook on my still functioning W7 laptop.

One feature on Outlook I've not been able to find on Thunderbird was the "you replied to this on (date)" which was quite handy. Is it tucked away somewhere?
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th 2017, 4:17 pm   #18
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I'd rather have the real Outlook (for a reasonable cost) but Thunderbird is a good alternative.

I'm not convinced it hasn't lost a couple of emails that I was able to retrieve from Outlook on my still functioning W7 laptop.

One feature on Outlook I've not been able to find on Thunderbird was the "you replied to this on (date)" which was quite handy. Is it tucked away somewhere?
Not sure, but I'd be surprised if not.

(Outlook user since, well, forever).
Nutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st 2017, 1:15 am   #19
Gozit Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Nutek 100% on this one.

We do not use any 'tune up' software at work (nor do I use them personally) at all and our PCs run fine...I find that all those programs seem to do is break the registry and cause issues down the road...one notable one being my grandfather's PC, he had run Advanced SystemCare and Glary on it and it broke his start button and taskbar....

The system restore points would have been cleaned up if you used the built in Disk cleanup feature in windows.

Refresh my memory but I think you got a new laptop with an i5, 8gb of ram and 256gb ssd.... in that case Windows definitely has enough resources and no need to be meddling with things at all - you won't notice a speed increase.

As for outlook, if you'd rather use it, then transfer it over from your existing PC, even if it is for Outlook 2007...nothing wrong with that if it works.Personally i'd rather use a newer version but hey... I am with you there, I use Outlook as well and its the bees knees.

Anyways, thats my input for the night lol, cheers
Old Aug 1st 2017, 5:33 pm   #20
What year is this?
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
I'm with Nutek 100% on this one.
I have been talked around to the "it's unnecessary" especially with the restricting the restore point space ability.

I still like the idea of putting stuff to sleep and not being bothered by various little messages but to be honest, if I can put up with the occasional advert within Kingsoft it may not bother me.

Quote:
Refresh my memory but I think you got a new laptop with an i5, 8gb of ram and 256gb ssd.... in that case Windows definitely has enough resources and no need to be meddling with things at all - you won't notice a speed increase.
Almost...I decided I didn't need the SSD this time around (not convinced my use justifies it yet) so it's a 1TB but I imagine the point still stands.

Quote:
As for outlook, if you'd rather use it, then transfer it over from your existing PC, even if it is for Outlook 2007...nothing wrong with that if it works.
Support ends soon...I don't know what difference that makes.

You probably don't remember but when I was first looking at W10 and reading that Office 2003 wouldn't work with it, I installed the 2010 version in readiness but didn't like it. So I installed 2007 and thought it acceptable and, of course, after more than two years I'm now used to it and get on with it just like 2003 that I put on that rubbishy old Dell Netbook.

Both 2007/2010 (3 versions) were my wife's hacks.

I figured that as I'd got used to 2007, I'd get used to 2010 so I tried that one on the new one, knowing that it worked previously. But it didn't work. None of them.

I also tried getting 2010 (and 2007) from the MS website but none of the numbers I had that had to be input worked. Nor did the number I used when installing the 2007 version on the W7 laptop.

So I assume transferring 2007 isn't going to work either. It might, but what's the importance or otherwise of it no longer being supported in a month or so?

Quote:
Personally i'd rather use a newer version but hey... I am with you there, I use Outlook as well and its the bees knees.
I would and I'm not sure if I said here or another thread but a subscription for me is not good value. A one-off cost is fine but $108 is the best I've seen and isn't good value set against "free" even if I'd rather have it.

None of the cheaper ones on Amazon seem likely to work with all their contradictions and obviously fake reviews.

So, for the time being, Office 2007 is likely to remain on the W7 laptop - which I will be reserving for downloading and Kingsoft/Thunderbird on the W10 machine.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab