Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Dec 7th 2017, 2:00 pm   #1
Forum Regular

Jamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone use Plex?

As per the title, does anyone use Plex? I have a Laptop which I no longer use which is just about powerful enough to handle running Plex Media Server on it, with 1000 or so movies loaded on to an external HDD.

My problem is, I'm currently UK based, as is my Plex Server (Laptop). Whenever I visit my in-laws in the US, I struggle to stream anything over Plex, everything seems to buffer pretty horrendously. Within the UK, I can be anywhere and stream movies fine.

Do I need to mess with the server upload speeds / settings within Plex? Any advice would be great.

Just a final note, I don't think Broadband speeds are the problem. My own Broadband is 100MB Download / 100MB Upload. My in-laws have 80MB Download / 20MB Upload.

I'm staying with the in-laws over Christmas so I'd like to be able to finally get this set up when I visit! Thanks for any help/advice you can give.
Jamackabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 5:27 am   #2
BenK91 Male
BE Enthusiast

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone use Plex?

Can't vouch for Plex but I've used Emby in the past which seems to be pretty reliable.

I believe it should do what you're asking
Old Yesterday, 2:15 pm   #3
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Plex for local streaming, yes.

But with what you are doing you have a whole internet between your server and client. Slowdown could be pretty much anywhere between the two.

You can possibly hunt down the culprit... Run some traces, but then what?
Nutek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 9:33 am   #4
Hostage Negotiator
Premium Member

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamackabi View Post
As per the title, does anyone use Plex? I have a Laptop which I no longer use which is just about powerful enough to handle running Plex Media Server on it, with 1000 or so movies loaded on to an external HDD.

My problem is, I'm currently UK based, as is my Plex Server (Laptop). Whenever I visit my in-laws in the US, I struggle to stream anything over Plex, everything seems to buffer pretty horrendously. Within the UK, I can be anywhere and stream movies fine.

Do I need to mess with the server upload speeds / settings within Plex? Any advice would be great.

Just a final note, I don't think Broadband speeds are the problem. My own Broadband is 100MB Download / 100MB Upload. My in-laws have 80MB Download / 20MB Upload.

I'm staying with the in-laws over Christmas so I'd like to be able to finally get this set up when I visit! Thanks for any help/advice you can give.
I assume you know that you can adjust the streaming quality in Plex? Not a great solution I know.
InVinoVeritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 9:38 am   #5
Forum Regular

Jamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I've tried adjusting the streaming quality, which works to some extent. It's still a little flaky though. I agree with Nutek though, there's too many areas where slowdown could exist. It was a nice thought, but it looks like it might not be possible to stream 1080p movies in the US as I do within the UK from my Plex Server. Thanks for your input.
Jamackabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:43 am   #6
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

You are wasting your time. If you are streaming from a domestic connection in UK there are just too many 'links in the chain' between your machine and the US.

If you are handy with windows you can go to the search box and use the CMD command, which should open a small (DOS) window.

In this window you type : tracert www.bbc.co.uk

This will (under normal circumstances) show you all the links between your location in the USA and the closest bbc servers.

If you want to try and reach your laptop, you will need the local IP (Domestic Internet connection, NOT the IP of the laptop) number.

Try the command tracert first.
It will show you all the links in the chain and the speeds.

Next try the command ping (followed by the domestic IP number in UK)

See what the speed is but also how stable (or unstable).
calman014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:41 am   #7
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
You are wasting your time. If you are streaming from a domestic connection in UK there are just too many 'links in the chain' between your machine and the US.

If you are handy with windows you can go to the search box and use the CMD command, which should open a small (DOS) window.

In this window you type : tracert www.bbc.co.uk

This will (under normal circumstances) show you all the links between your location in the USA and the closest bbc servers.

If you want to try and reach your laptop, you will need the local IP (Domestic Internet connection, NOT the IP of the laptop) number.

Try the command tracert first.
It will show you all the links in the chain and the speeds.

Next try the command ping (followed by the domestic IP number in UK)

See what the speed is but also how stable (or unstable).

Old Today, 1:06 pm   #8
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

HaHaHA..! Biggest laugh of the day..!
totally wrong!!
That's not the number of users looking, but the number of "HOPS" or "NODES" between you and the target IP number or site....plus the speed between them.. the rest of the procedure is OK.
calman014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:13 pm   #9
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Quote:
totally wrong!!
That's not the number of users looking, but the number of "HOPS" or "NODES" between you and the target IP number or site....plus the speed between them.. the rest of the procedure is OK.
Hey! That's Nextgenhacker101 you are talking about!

Old Today, 1:39 pm   #10
Hostage Negotiator
Premium Member

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
totally wrong!!
I guess the giveaway was just 10 people connected to google.com
InVinoVeritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 4:04 pm   #11
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
I guess the giveaway was just 10 people connected to google.com
You can't see all of them 'cos their connection is better than yours.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab