Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:25 pm   #1
Save The Pine Weasel
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default AMD A10 versus i5

I've been looking at various comparison sites and I can't seem to come up with any conclusions for CPU A10-8700P against i5-7200U.

Sometimes it's close, sometimes seemingly contradictory. Other times there might be something about one being better than the other but the uses don't mean anything to me. eg multiple threads or why wouldn't 4 cores be better than 2?

In simple terms where is one better than the other? If you don't play games, don't photo edit, write programs but do stream/download/watch movies, surf a lot (have at least half a dozen tabs open) and use a few office type things is there much of a difference?

Personally I don't like the red sticker that comes with laptops with an AMD but I don't think that's a great reason.

I went back over a few posts in this bit of the forum but didn't really find much useful...although there were one or two posts that didn't seem wholly neutral.
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th 2017, 1:13 am   #2
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AMD A10 versus i5

My two cents worth. I think generally AMD is supposed to be a little faster than the equivalent Intel. My old PC had an AMD processor - no idea which one now! - this one has an i5 -3300, previous generation. Now, things like you say you DON'T do need a lot of memory to run efficiently . I do a fair bit of video and photo editing and my 8GB of memory works just fine.(My graphics card is a 2GB and uses an AMD processor and works just fine for what I want - I don't do games either!) So does streaming etc , but this is more dependent on your internet connection than the actual processor in your system. One of the advantages of multi core, multi threading is that it allows you to have multiple programs running smoothly at the same time - many tabs for example. This PC is definitely much smoother than my previous one but I don't think this is primarily due to it being an i5 , more to do with the amount of memory. In real life there is not much difference , so I suggest you go for the cheapest! If there is only a few dollars difference then personally I'd pick the i5 as there have been(apocryphal?) reports of some peripheral drivers not working too well with AMD.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 1:27 pm   #3
Save The Pine Weasel
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltman View Post
My two cents worth.
This post is already more useful than the stuff I read yesterday
Quote:
I think generally AMD is supposed to be a little faster than the equivalent Intel.
How does one know what is considered the equivalent? Some of the stuff I was reading seemed to suggest you had to get to A8 to be close to i3.

CPU benchmark scores the A10-8700P @ 3463 and the i5-7200U @ 4702 which seems a fairly significant difference.

Quote:
...I do a fair bit of video and photo editing and my 8GB of memory works just fine.(My graphics card is a 2GB and uses an AMD processor and works just fine for what I want
Thanks for throwing that in. I never pay much attention to graphics but that's useful to know.

Quote:
So does streaming etc , but this is more dependent on your internet connection
Ours is good. 100/50, no limits.

Quote:
One of the advantages of multi core, multi threading is that it allows you to have multiple programs running smoothly at the same time - many tabs for example.
All this time I've read about multiple programs running and I always considered that wasn't "me"
Sure I keep Outlook (from Office) open and I keep a word doc open while I'm on line, neither of which sound significant, but right now I have 6 tabs open.

Quote:
In real life there is not much difference...there have been(apocryphal?) reports of some peripheral drivers not working too well with AMD.
And suggestions they have a lower life expectancy too - but maybe that's with heavier use?

The CPU on my Gateway is Intel Celeron B820 (1437 on benchmark)

My mother in law's HP scored around 900 (can't recall what it was right now) but I just bought her an Acer with AMD A6-7310 which scores 2654 (and the same 6gb RAM).

It's a definite improvement as you'd expect with a CPU scoring three times what she had. But the main website that she spends time on - Journal de Montreal - which is fairly picture intensive on the home page - loads quicker on mine.

This is either due to my laptop having 8gb RAM against her 6 (which doesn't seem that likely) or the games she has (Bejeweled, Bookworm, a pyramid cards thing etc). But she looks at the journal before opening any game.

As far as I'm concerned my laptop is still significantly outperforming her new one (I think when I only had 4gb it would have too) and while she has a few games installed, I have plenty installed that she doesn't.

It can't just be that she has games installed can it?

Normal retail for mine is around $350 (4gb), hers @ $500/550 4gb/6.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 8:16 am   #4
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

AMD will work but there is not much difference in actual performance. Usual reason for choosing AMD processor is a budget choice to save a few $. AMD's 'absence' from the market has meant the majority of software is being targeted (and more importantly TESTED) on Intel processors, so you may indeed run into a compatibility issue here or there. The golden rule is: shut down programmes you are not using. That should give you plenty of power for your streaming.
calman014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th 2017, 3:38 am   #5
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
AMD will work but there is not much difference in actual performance. Usual reason for choosing AMD processor is a budget choice to save a few $. AMD's 'absence' from the market has meant the majority of software is being targeted (and more importantly TESTED) on Intel processors, so you may indeed run into a compatibility issue here or there. The golden rule is: shut down programmes you are not using. That should give you plenty of power for your streaming.
It's possible your MILs 'puter loads more programs into memory on start up than yours -lots of programs self load AND go onto t'internet to check for updates etc. It also means some of your memory is used by these programs thus leaving less for loading. It would be interesting to check the CPU activity and compare between you accessing her "favourite" site and using her laptop to access the same site. There are plenty of free programs for checking CPU activity. I use CPUID Hardware monitor to run checks - temps, voltages, processor utilization etc. I have stopped many programs from running on start up and just start them when I need them. Again, there are freebie programs that analyse your start up programs and gives advice on what CAN be stopped and what MUST run. for this I use Ashampoo Winoptimiser , and have done for years. It's one of the few programs I actually originally paid for! They do have a free trial , but if you google "Startup optimisers" you should get some hits. Have Fun!
Old Jun 25th 2017, 2:48 pm   #6
Save The Pine Weasel
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltman View Post
It's possible your MILs 'puter loads more programs into memory on start up than yours -lots of programs self load AND go onto t'internet to check for updates etc.
There's barely anything in the start-up list in her task manager. 7 and 6 disabled.

Quote:
It would be interesting to check the CPU activity and compare between you accessing her "favourite" site and using her laptop to access the same site. There are plenty of free programs for checking CPU activity. I use CPUID Hardware monitor to run checks - temps, voltages, processor utilization etc. I have stopped many programs from running on start up and just start them when I need them. Again, there are freebie programs that analyse your start up programs and gives advice on what CAN be stopped and what MUST run. for this I use Ashampoo Winoptimiser , and have done for years.
I think Glary does a bit of this stuff but I may well take a look at what I can't resist calling shampoo and cupid. Cheers.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 4:53 pm   #7
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Is she actually complaining about her new laptop or is it just that you think it should be doing better? I bought my MIL an AMD laptop a few years ago, it's slow as a goat but she's happy with it so I've left it at that. I'd be quite annoyed if someone bought me a laptop then spent all their time on it looking for way to make it faster, just hand it over and forget about it.
SpoogleDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th 2017, 7:33 pm   #8
Save The Pine Weasel
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
Is she actually complaining about her new laptop or is it just that you think it should be doing better?
Nope. She's happy enough. It does run better than the previous one, significantly so.

Quote:
I'd be quite annoyed if someone bought me a laptop then spent all their time on it looking for way to make it faster
Quite agree.
Quote:
, just hand it over and forget about it.
Oh she already has it right from since it arrived.

I just borrowed it for a bit while mine was busy and I was just a bit surprised that something with considerably better specs, 5 years newer, and more $$$ didn't appear to be an improvement on mine.

Which is nice for me as it helps my decision process when it comes to my next one.

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab