Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 10:44 am   #1
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Amazon and Hotmail issue

No problem on the mobile so it's obviously a laptop thing but each time I try and get on to either Amazon or Hotmail I get these messages. Does it mean there's a gremlin in the laptop? I did get Amazon to work once but then it went back to the same old message. I can access Amazon Aus but it's not quite the same thing As far as I can tell I've got no nasties but something's not right. Any ideas lovely tech geeks?
Attached Thumbnails
Amazon and Hotmail issue-2017-02-23.png   Amazon and Hotmail issue-2017-02-23-1-.png  

The Recipe Thread Index:
moneypenny20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 1:19 pm   #2
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon and Hotmail issue

First I would try the same two in Chrome or a Microsoft Browser and see if you get the same kind of error.

Also scan your machine for viruses, spyware and do a cleanup witha utility like CCleaner.

The warning is either a badly configured (or expired) SSL certificate at the other end.

If it's a genuine site you can go to advanced and accept security exception.
However, be aware this overrides the security settings for that site.

NB: By now you should be using outlook.com and not hotmail.. (you can set that up in your account).
calman014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th 2017, 2:08 pm   #3
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Me again! So other than changing to Outlook I didn't bother checking this out until now because I couldn't be arsed to visit Amazon and it wasn't doing it to any other sites until now. My machine doesn't like Spotify either. Now obviously both Amazon and Spotify work for every one else, so if it's me and I can't see how it is because I've done a scan and nothing showed up, why is it only these two and none of the other sites I visit?
Attached Thumbnails
Amazon and Hotmail issue-2017-03-14.png  

The Recipe Thread Index:

Last edited by moneypenny20; Mar 13th 2017 at 2:10 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 3:00 pm   #4
Useful Idiot

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MoneyPenny!

If you're getting strange SSL errors like that - I have two questions for you:

1) Is your computers clock set right? If its got the wrong date/time, you'll get encryption errors due to the way that, well encryption works.

2) Is your Firefox up-to-date? There have been some changes with SSL relatively recently, that will cause problems with older versions.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 4:10 pm   #5
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

What setup are you using between this computer and the Internet?

Are you using a wired connection to your router or Wireless?

Try clearing the web cache of your browser, closing the browser down and re-starting it.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 4:18 pm   #6
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by calman014 View Post

Try clearing the web cache of your browser, closing the browser down and re-starting it.
Do a scan using the free version of malwarebytes, my wife was having lots of problems and, despite being scanned once a week with an anti virus it found over 1000 items.
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th 2017, 4:34 pm   #7
BE Enthusiast

Superantispyware is another free one. (Both can be uninstalled after a scan).

There is obviously some interference somewhere.. just a matter of tracking it down.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 4:54 pm   #8
BE Forum Addict

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

You could always read the firefox explaination

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Fix-s...error/ta-p/681
Old Mar 14th 2017, 4:55 am   #9
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginnyc View Post
Hi MoneyPenny!

If you're getting strange SSL errors like that - I have two questions for you:

1) Is your computers clock set right? If its got the wrong date/time, you'll get encryption errors due to the way that, well encryption works.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginnyc View Post
2) Is your Firefox up-to-date? There have been some changes with SSL relatively recently, that will cause problems with older versions.
Yes.

Quote:

Wireless home network. Other three laptops and four mobiles have no problem and if daughters turn the volume up when using Spotify once more I may have to hurt them.

Quote:
Done that a few times now but yes done it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Do a scan using the free version of malwarebytes, my wife was having lots of problems and, despite being scanned once a week with an anti virus it found over 1000 items.
Yes done that too.

Quote:
Superantispyware is another free one. (Both can be uninstalled after a scan).
Not tried that one, Malwarebytes came up with barely anything.

Quote:
There is obviously some interference somewhere.. just a matter of tracking it down.
Yeah no luck so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
You could always read the firefox explaination

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Fix-s...error/ta-p/681
Tried that when I first had the problem, made no difference.

So still no access to either Amazon or Spotify. Will crying help?

The Recipe Thread Index:
Old Mar 14th 2017, 12:18 pm   #10
BE Enthusiast

Is this a laptop? If so what type?
Is it running Windows 10 or something else?
What antivirus programme do you have installed?
Does your wireless connection go directly to the router of your internet provider or another (secondary) wireless access point in the house?
Do you use a VPN of some kind on this machine, or are there specific network settings rather than automatic (DHCP) ones?
Old Mar 14th 2017, 12:52 pm   #11
upsidedowner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Is this a laptop? If so what type?
Is it running Windows 10 or something else?
What antivirus programme do you have installed?
Does your wireless connection go directly to the router of your internet provider or another (secondary) wireless access point in the house?
Do you use a VPN of some kind on this machine, or are there specific network settings rather than automatic (DHCP) ones?
Lenovo G50-45 Laptop. Windows 10. Windows Defender. Direct to router. Do use a VPN. Someone else has suggested rebooting the router but whilst I'll do that once other people are not watching movies, I can't see how that will affect anything given the other devices have no problem.

The Recipe Thread Index:
Old Mar 14th 2017, 3:38 pm   #12
Hostage Negotiator
Premium Member

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Lenovo G50-45 Laptop. Windows 10. Windows Defender. Direct to router. Do use a VPN. Someone else has suggested rebooting the router but whilst I'll do that once other people are not watching movies, I can't see how that will affect anything given the other devices have no problem.
I think this may be a VPN issue. I would try disabling VPN, rebooting to clear cache and then trying those sites again.
InVinoVeritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th 2017, 3:40 pm   #13
BE Forum Addict

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got a proxy set in your browser? Is it just happening on the one computer?
Old Mar 14th 2017, 4:00 pm   #14
BE Enthusiast

Exactly..if there is no virus or malware (did you try that second programme I mentioned?) such strange problems are normally down to an anomaly in DNS settings.

VPN use often changes DNS settings or introduces proxy settings.

These should only be used when you actually need the VPN (but Windows is not so helpful in that area)..so you may have to manually reset them.

Windows Defender is not an Antivirus programme. Please install a commercial programme such as Kaspersky or ESET antivirus for your own safety!

30 day test versions are available.

Take a look in your network settings on the laptop to see which DNS servers are mentioned. Normally it should point to your router. Switch off any Proxy stuff.

If you can get into the router, check which DNS settings are there. These are (normally) the DNS servers of your provider.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 4:11 pm   #15
Hostage Negotiator
Premium Member

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Windows Defender is not an Antivirus programme. Please install a commercial programme such as Kaspersky or ESET antivirus for your own safety!
Without wishing to side-track this thread, there is some evidence that Windows Defender is, in fact, better than commercial anti-virus programs:-

Ex-Mozilla Firefox developer says anti-virus software does more harm than good – Tech2

After reading this I uninstalled all the anti-virus on all my Windows machines and enabled Windows Defender. I've not had a single problem since doing this and the machines run faster with no more annoying alerts popping up.
InVinoVeritas is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / General / The Lab