Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

We've started a new business

We've started a new business

Old Nov 29th 2015, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've started a new business

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Oh, I do hope your competitor doesn't get nasty, it can really escalate.
SWMBO was talking to the authorities a short while back as she was involved in a new Sunday market. The official said that they were getting 3 or 4 complaints a week about health or receipt violations and the problem they have is if they get a complaint they are bound to investigate - which is paper work for them and real aggravation for the stall holders in question. It turns out that the complaints were all made by other stall holders trying to 'get rid of the competition' and tit for tat complaints. So if your competition is upset then I suspect you may get inspection on inspection for a bit.

My understanding of the 'booze business' in Hungary is that the most important part of it is the customs and excise paperwork - and that is the easiest to get wrong!

Running a pub is a bit like farming, its not a job or a business - its a way of life!

Will you have dishes of peanuts on the bar on Sundays?

Good luck with the new venture.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

TerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the rough

Wish you all the very best of luck buddy.
At least getting on with it and trying !!!
Wrong end of the country for me to pop in for a pint.
When we come exploring locally, will deffo drop in.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all
This is definitely a way of life, not a job. I'm down there every day to open up and to lock up in the evenings, along with working there almost every day. We have 2 staff who work part time and we're giving them more responsibility as time goes on which means that I won't have to be there as much as I have been.
The admin is still a nightmare but we're getting there and things should become easier after a few months.
The weekly stock order is a bit tricky as some of the regulars keep chopping and changing what they drink so we end up popping to the suppliers a couple of times a week on top of their usual delivery.
(fingers crossed) the other pub owner hasn't caused us any obvious problems yet but time will tell. Since we have a jukebox and pool table she has installed a table football game but I don't know how popular it is. She has arranged to meet us a couple of times but hasn't turned up on each occasion :/ Never mind, we're popular with the locals and more new faces seem to be coming out for a drink now, especially younger ones