Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

British hibernation

British hibernation

Old Dec 2nd 2016, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default British hibernation

It's a bit quiet in here. Almost 2 weeks and no new posts.
I guess the temperature drops and the Brits all go to sleep for the winter
For us there's nothing new to tell. Same old, same old. Plenty of work and chilling at the weekend.
Got a fox that visits the garden every evening and drives my dogs crazy. I managed to get within 3 metres of it last night before it turned tail and ran off.
We had a cat at the vet's with skin cancer on its ears so had to have one removed but he's ok now.
Christmas for us will be at our weekend house (away from people ), back home then back up there again for NYE. Can't believe it's so close. I haven't done anything yet to prepare.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: British hibernation

I agree, it's very quiet on here, especially since Rural Hungary stopped posting.
She was the life and soul of the forum.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Does this mean that the whole community is happy and content with nothing to ask questions about?
Is the thought of Brexit stopping prospective movement, and hence the lack of questions from new members?

In my case Paul is right, it's too cold and I am hibernating!!
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's been really quiet - maybe because everybody's happy, no problems?

Not too much OT re cats:

Our very nice vet told us that we should put some sunscreen on our white tomcat's ears, because they are almost hairless and the risk of skin cancer there is well known. Of course the little fellow doesn't like that at all!

It's really cold now, work in the garden is finished and even the animals are sleeping most of the day and the night ...

We have two "Guest cats" right now - neighbours' cats have found nice warm places to sleep in our garage - and they also get some of the dry cat food that we put there for our cat - luckily they don't seem to have a problem with our cat, just the dog like to chase them away ...
Old Dec 4th 2016, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Where is Rural Hungary these days? I never saw a goodbye or an explanation for why she wasn't going to be around. One day here, the next day gone :/
Old Dec 5th 2016, 7:34 am
Just Joined

TheCrosbies is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning everyone - we are certainly not hibernating! Very cold here in Scotland too but dry so thats a bonus as our furniture is moving today!!!!!!
We fly over tomorrow for the week to get everything sorted out over there, fly back here finish work in March and then move over completely end of March/April so busy busy. Have a fantastic festive time, Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to all.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woke up this morning at 5.15 Wife got up at 5.45 as she wanted to be at the doctor's before 7. She's got an ongoing chest infection, I put my back out on Saturday and could barely walk yesterday.
She starts her car to defrost it and I notice a stream of coolant running from under the front. We had to have the cylinder head rebuilt in the summer and a new timing belt and water pump after the old timing belt broke and it appears that the mechanic didn't add any antifreeze when he rebuilt it!! It was below -10*c this morning and the bottom hose from the radiator had blown off. I managed to refit it and refill the cooling system with antifreeze but it did overheat briefly due to an airlock. I just hope there's no internal damage as we really don't need it, especially at this time of year.
I took it on a 25km run to work and the coolant level dropped slightly, same on the way home so will need to monitor it over the next few days.
Rant over (for now)
Old Dec 10th 2016, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

As I live in a remote village with no shop or pub, and a 20 km drive along country lanes to the nearest shops this time of year is always busy for me.

I've just about finished stocking up the freezers and cupboards with food for me, the dogs and cat. Next week must make a decision about my Christmas Day meal which at the moment is a toss up between duck or roast beef and Yorkshire pudding but if all else fails might end up with a joint of pork I already have in the freezer!

For the past week we've had freezing fog and the daytime temperature hasn't risen above -3C, Yesterday had to cancel the dogs training session in Miskolc because I didn't fancy driving 60 km through thick fog!

My son was over last months and did lots of little jobs I can't do myself. Instead of flying from Bristol to Budapest he flew from Bristol to Kosice (Slovakia) which is only around 25 km from where I live, and only cost £89 return by Wizzair. I believe there are also flights for the same price from Gatwick. instead of him taking the train from Budapest, I drove to Kosice to collect him, but next year he says he'll take a taxi from the airport to my door. He brought me Christmas puds and mincemeat ... yummy!

Anyway, hope you all have a VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS and stay snug and warm in front of a nice long fire!
Old Dec 15th 2016, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not in Hungary so much these days as I have loads of work to do on the house in Croatia. I am back in Hungary just now though as my hot water is not working properly in Croatia so I had not had a shower or bath for about 2 weeks! Life seems to be a constant round of repairing or renewing things that go wrong lately including mobile phone, laptop, digital camera, kitchen sink mixer tap, chainsaw, angle grinder, hydraulic log splitter, DVD player. The sink tap and hot water failure are related as I had to turn off the hot water to do an emergency fix on the tap but when I turned the supply back on I was only getting a tiny trickle at the hot bathroom taps. I put in the hot water plumbing using 22mm plastic Hep2O pipe and fittings. The only place I know that supplies that material is a small shop in Nagykanizsa so I now need to go there and try to get a tool for dismantling the joints. The original Hep2O fittings could be dismantled but they changed the design to make them more user hostile.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I am back in Hungary just now though as my hot water is not working properly in Croatia so I had not had a shower or bath for about 2 weeks!
I'd love to have been at the Hungarian-Croatian border when you explained to the border guard that your reason for entering Hungary was to take a shower.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

<<The only place I know that supplies that material is a small shop in Nagykanizsa >>

Someone took me to this shop a couple of years ago (I assume it's the same one, it stocked Hep2O), but now I don't know where it is. Can you tell me the address?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by Shotgun; Dec 16th 2016 at 6:06 pm. Reason: Punctuation.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

OK, here are the contact details:

https://nagykanizsa.cylex.hu/ceg-inf...t--414123.html
Old Dec 16th 2016, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much.