Reload this Page >

Job seeking Canada - Valve/Instrument Technician

Job seeking Canada - Valve/Instrument Technician

Old Oct 13th 2013, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

zac stone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job seeking Canada - Valve/Instrument Technician

Hi everyone,
Well,I finally made it to Vancouver,I arrived three weeks ago from the UK;I would firstly like to say a big thank you to all the people who answer my threads,and to the people who place and answer threads on this site,the replies are invaluable.The months leading up to my move were pretty scary,leaving a house that I had lived in for 50 years and giving notice to my boss after working for him for over35 years.
Vancouver is a wonderful city, and I am very happy to be here;I now want to start looking for work,I am an engineer by trade,but I'm vey happy to do anything to enable me to establish myself quickly here in Canada,so if any one out there gas got a position available for a hard working conscientious ex pat,it would be great to hear from you,
many thanks.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 2:45 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job seeking

what kind of engineer are you?
Old Oct 13th 2013, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Hi,thanks for getting in touch,I'm a valve/instrument technician.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 2:57 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zac stone
Hi,thanks for getting in touch,I'm a valve/instrument technician.
Can you explain further? That sounds more mechanical (piping etc) am I right?
Old Oct 13th 2013, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Yes,I build valves that the oil and gas,petro chemical industries etc use in their pipelines and plants.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 3:18 am

ok thanks. Have you thought about going to Alberta or up north (Tumbler Ridge, Fort St John)
Old Oct 13th 2013, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Yes,fort Mc Murray,Edmonton etc,I know there is meant to be lots of work there,but would ideally like to find something in Vancouver.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 7:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zac stone
Yes,I build valves that the oil and gas,petro chemical industries etc use in their pipelines and plants.
Do be aware that 'engineer' is a protected term in Canada and you can't call yourself one unless you have a PEng!

Good luck with the job hunt, I'll move this to the relevant part of the forum for you.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 9:45 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job seeking Canada - Valve/Instrument Technician

You will need to network face to face in the community. Once you find a couple of initial contacts, you can use them to refer you to other people/companies for a chat. If you're looking beyond valve technicians, it would be a good idea to have some idea of the type of roles and salaries you are pursuing, and directly ask people you network with about such opportunities.

If you haven't already done so, do a forum search on this BE site using the keyword "resume" and you will find numerous posts and advice relating to job hunting Canada.