Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Jobs Wanted
Reload this Page >

6 months from march 2013 carpenter

6 months from march 2013 carpenter

Old Nov 16th 2012, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

shortone2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 months from march 2013 carpenter

hi, i am going to vancouver in march 2013, am looking for temporary work, i am highly skilled carpenter in full time employment just looking for a change, i have 30 years in carpentry ranging from, shuttering formwork,1st fix ,secondfix, dormers,loftconversions,shopfitting, metalstudwork.mf suspended ceilings, will be impressed on firstday or not get paid, if you are interested please email me thanks for looking regards tony
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 12:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months from march 2013 carpenter

Originally Posted by shortone2
hi, i am going to vancouver in march 2013, am looking for temporary work, i am highly skilled carpenter in full time employment just looking for a change, i have 30 years in carpentry ranging from, shuttering formwork,1st fix ,secondfix, dormers,loftconversions,shopfitting, metalstudwork.mf suspended ceilings, will be impressed on firstday or not get paid, if you are interested please email me thanks for looking regards tony
Hate to be negative, but realistically no employer is going to go through the paperwork/hassle/wait of hiring you just for 6 months. Given that the LMO will take 3-4 months, why would they do that if you don't intend to stay longer term?

You might want to rethink your plans, and either forget it or move for longer to make yourself more appealing to employers.

Good luck.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

didnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to behold

I get work in Canada for six months at a time or less, and my employers know that I have no intention of living in Canada ever again. Despite my Canadian/First Nations wife living there. Who in turn doesn't want to live in Blighty because of the complications with hunting laws and celebrating her culture.

Just don't tell them you only intend to stay for 6 months. Go there on holiday and work cash in hand for six months or more, I know quite a few that have been doing that for over ten years and are never out of work, and have never had a tug from anyone. Go to Vancouver for a few week and feel the market and see what you think?

Then come back to the UK put your tools on ebay, buy them in the Canadian ebay and them ship them out to Vancouver to a rental address or potential employers address. This is the easiest way to get them over without the customs wondering whats going on. Then all you have to do is put Canadian plugs (CSA) on you power tools and plug them straight into the mains without a bulky tranny. And save the cost of having to purchase them if you haven't already got a start.

An old Canadian friend of mine whom I worked with in Alaska has moved to Salmon Arm BC, which is within commuting distance of Vancouver. Tells me they are building new homes out there like there's no tommorow. And don't worry about leaving after six months or before, its a "hire 'em fire'm" cuture in Canada overall and they wouldn't think twice about letting you go with less than an hours notice if your lucky.

It will be a good experience for you, and you will probably use methods you haven't seen for a long time in good old Blighty... the best country in the world!

Anyway mate I hope you get to where you want to be in life, and remember not everything that glitters is gold. But the again nothing ventured nothing gained. All the best and have a think about my comments, it might be the only positive advice you get form this site.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didnotbother
I get work in Canada for six months at a time or less, and my employers know that I have no intention of living in Canada ever again. Despite my Canadian/First Nations wife living there.

Just don't tell them you only intend to stay for 6 months. Go there on holiday and work cash in hand for six months or more, I know quite a few that have been doing that for over ten years and are never out of work, and have never had a tug from anyone.
You're in a very different situation to the OP though, presumably you have PR or citizenship thanks to your wife, so can start work straight away and don't need sponsoring, unlike the OP.

And advising him to work on a holiday visa is stupid, illegal, and against site rules. He cannot work without the appropriate visa.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:24 am
Just Joined

didnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to behold

I'm sorry to hear that you think that I'm stupid for suggesting an option that many others have taken and never looked back, not just in Canada but other countries as well. Looking at the situation practically its the only chance that the op will get to be where they want to be unless they go down the official route. I know it is illegal to work without a visa and if they decide to pursue it that way, then obviously they will be breaking the law. Personally I don't really care, its entirely up to them.

They're grown up and I don't think they need you, me, or anyone else in the world to remind them of any upshot of any such choice they make. I'm not telling them what to do, I'm only suggesting an option that they could choose if they so desired. In fact if all other options fail and they still desire to try it, I hope they do choose that option and get where they want to be. After all they won't be breaking any International laws or hurting anyone or thing. Only Canadian immigration and employment laws, just like many others are and will continue to do so.

And you presume wrong. FYI, I have neither PR or citizenship in Canada so I have nothing to thank my wife for, so please don't cast aspersions that I married my wife for pr reasons. I love my wife despite not living with her and only seeing her two or three times a year. I had the chance of citizenship back in the early nineties, but I missed Blighty too much. I hated being in a country for too long that had a limited culture overall, so I sold up and returned back to the best country in the world. Hence my user name "didnotbother".

But only to continue working wherever the projects were being conveyed, Canada being one of the many places, where indeed I do need to be sponsored just like anyone else going down the official route. But with the only difference being, the actual time from recieving a phone call regarding the project, to actually being picked up at the airport to sometimes starting the same day. Takes less than a fortnight for the visa to be approved prior to the contract being endorsed by the company hiring me. Because the LMO would never be satisified in time for the project to start and in turn would hinder unnecessary delay and expense.

I'm not blowing my trumpet but due to the unique nature of my trade profession, I am highly commendable and requested to work in many countries or oceans that has a wealth of minerals under the strata and sea bed, or seeping out from above it. And being semi retired, when they ask me to convey or assist to convey a project or a survey. They know I will only convey it for no more than six months maximum. After which I only desire to return to my farm in Derbyshire, and have my wife come visit me. And not to stay in any country or off shore platform that I'm sick of the sight, sound, smell, feel, and taste of.

That is why I work in Canada or any where else for only six months at a time, if the project runs for longer then I simply turn it down and some else joins the team. Despite my TWP having a longer expiry date on it.

Anyway I hope the other poster looks into other options and decides what's right for them.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

shortone2 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, firstly many thanks for your response, you have been very helpfull and informative, thanks regards tony