Working In Japan

Old May 2nd 2001, 7:53 pm
Alice

Hello Everyone,
I have just secured I Job with another Kiwi girl Waitressing at the Shinagawa Prince Hotel in Tokyo, which lasts up to a year. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea what the Shinagawa region is like in Tokyo.
People say it is very costly to live in Japan, does anyone have any ideas where bargins can be found. I get all my meals and accommodation provided. Also what is the quickst way to get to Kyoto and the cost. Does anyone know of a organization called ITC International Training in Communication, they are meant to have clubs in Tokyo, what about any churches.
I hope someone can help me.
Thanks for your time.
Bye

Old May 6th 2001, 7:34 am
C. G. Brown

Hi..... The Shinagawa Prince Hotel is a fine hotel. You will discover that EVERYTHING
in Japan is expensive. A cup of coffee is Three Dollars US. A bottle of beer is Eight
Dollars US at a cheap place.....even more expensive at a ritzy club. Would you
believe a cantalope cost $25.00 US? Bananas are a dollar each. Why do you think they
hire foreigners to work in Japan? Are you Blond? Japanese receive bonuses at Mid-Year
and End of Year. Mid-Year bonus is frequently three or four months salary. End of
Year bonus is frequently two or three months salary. Most foreigners do not get paid
bonuses. Installment buying is almost unknown in Japan. One good phrase is: Kore-wa
service des-ka? Meaning, is this free? Enjoy your year.

Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.

Old May 6th 2001, 12:59 pm
Cb7jun3

>

You will discover that>EVERYTHING in Japan is expensive.

No it is not if you are comparing it to U.S. prices.

A cup of coffee is Three Dollars US

Starbucks in the US and Japan YES Local Denny's type place about a dollar.

>

3 dollars for a Heiniken at my last meal.

...even more >expensive at a ritzy club

And this is different from?????

Would you believe a cantalope cost $25.00
    >

Yes for gourmet gift ones. You can also buy them at the grocery store for about 2-3
bucks also.

Bananas are a dollar each.

5 bananas were 159 yen yesterday.

Why do you think they hire foreigners to work in Japan?

To deal with foreigners

Japanese receive bonuses
    >

Not anymore.

Mid-Year bonus is frequently three or four
    >

See above. End of Year bonus is frequently two or three months >salary.

Most foreigners do not get paid bonuses.

I still get paid a bonus and even get a vacation bonus when I go on vacation

Installment buying is almost unknown in Japan.

Once again you are incorrect.

>

Learn your facts and don't read from some bubble economy era guide book.

CB

Old May 7th 2001, 10:28 am
Olivier Van Loo

110 % wrong , life in Japan could be really cheap , just have to do it the Japanese
way ( ramen @ lunch , ocha instead of beer , ....) the only thing that is indeed
expensive in Japan is transportation ( having a car , for example is really
expensive ). But , of course, if you are looking for foreign goods then it will be
extremly expensive ( but it is everywhere , i once bought a "Camembert" cheese in
Mumbay , .... )

Olivier.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

pacific4038 will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Working In Japan

I am a japanese guy and I am also living in tokyo since I was born. Partly it is correct what you are talking about that living in Japan is so costly, but you can find many solution..
For the house : you better not to live in central Tokyo like Shinagawa or Shibuya etc(not inside 23 words). Find apartment in Tama area(place i am living. west side Tokyo). or Saitama-pref(northern Tokyo), or Chiba-pref(east-Tokyo). Some of City in Kanagawa-pref(southern Tokyo) might be expensive.
For the foods: You can find valiety of vegitables, meets, breads and fish in anyware in Tokyo. but some of import super-market might be expensive(especialy Kinokuni-ya, Meiji-ya). you better to go ordinaly shop(like Ito-yokado, Jasco and Daiei), you will find 150 yen for 5 peices of bananas.
Western style restaurant; you will find good restaurant in Shinjuku or Kichijoji and Shimokitazawa. Those hot places are located west side ot Tokyo, and many young people goes there to enjoy western food like french and italian. and those are not expensive. in addition you do not have to pay tips for it(we do not have some kind of culture). You will be able to find good restaurant on some local magazines(like Tokyo Walkers, Hanakos, but unfortunally japanese only).
I hope those information can help your Japanese life. Enjoy.
Thanks Ken from Tokyo
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:12 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working In Japan

Originally Posted by Alice
Hello Everyone,
I have just secured I Job with another Kiwi girl Waitressing at the Shinagawa Prince Hotel in Tokyo, which lasts up to a year. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea what the Shinagawa region is like in Tokyo.
People say it is very costly to live in Japan, does anyone have any ideas where bargins can be found. I get all my meals and accommodation provided. Also what is the quickst way to get to Kyoto and the cost. Does anyone know of a organization called ITC International Training in Communication, they are meant to have clubs in Tokyo, what about any churches.
I hope someone can help me.
Thanks for your time.
Bye
The internet is your friend. Please search for English language periodicals/online magazines in Japan. As for churches, you could probably find lists of them via an internet search.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 11th 2005, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Noriko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working In Japan

This thread was started.................... four years ago.

how time goes.......