British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Japan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/japan-172/)
-   -   Vaccination differences UK & Japan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/japan-172/vaccination-differences-uk-japan-882567/)

riri2010 Aug 31st 2016 1:56 am

Vaccination differences UK & Japan

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you have been through the process of moving back to the UK or to Japan with children? My family and I are considering moving back to the UK next year with our kids, but will have to navigate the minefield that is vaccinations.

For our three year old, it won't be so much of a problem as he's done most of his Japanese vaccinations but it would be more problematic for our new born.

One big difference is how the give them and when. For example the MMR jab in the UK is given at one year old in one jab but given as three separate jabs in Japan - Rubella at maybe 5 years old. Another is Japanese encephalitis which is given in areas that have rainy seasons.

Does anyone have any experiences of going through this process and any advice? Of course we'll speak to the Japanese doctors, but would be great to hear from you guys on here too.

Thanks in advance!

winston_1 Sep 28th 2016 6:03 pm

Re: Vaccination differences UK & Japan

Just put him/her on the UK regime when you arrive.

riri2010 Oct 5th 2016 1:25 am

Originally Posted by winston_1 (Post 12063675)
Just put him/her on the UK regime when you arrive.

Good idea but not possible because the kids still have to start their vaccinations in Japan. If we delayed it for a year without them having any, it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

winston_1 Oct 5th 2016 8:45 am

Originally Posted by riri2010 (Post 12068697)
Good idea but not possible because the kids still have to start their vaccinations in Japan. If we delayed it for a year without them having any, it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm certainly not an expert but if the MMR jab is not given for a year in the UK and disasters don't happen why is waiting for a year really a problem.

I believe new borns retain immunity initially from their mother for a while. Interesting to see what the Japanese doctors say.

riri2010 Oct 9th 2016 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by winston_1 (Post 12068857)
I'm certainly not an expert but if the MMR jab is not given for a year in the UK and disasters don't happen why is waiting for a year really a problem.

I believe new borns retain immunity initially from their mother for a while. Interesting to see what the Japanese doctors say.

Good point. They do retain some immunity via breast milk at the start, but it wouldn't be the best idea to delay to start the British ones when we arrive - we don't know how long the visa will take/and if it will even be successful. :( So basically have no choice but to start the Japanese ones.

I think the main issue is the differences between what vaccinations they get. There is some discrepancy between the two countries. For example at 8 weeks in the UK, they get a 5-in-1 shot. In Japan, they get a 4-in-1 and it takes longer to administer (the Hib B part is missing). Also for example, the Rotavirus vaccine is totally skipped in Japan whereas in the UK it is one that all babies receive.

We've been referred to a larger hospital in our city who have taken blood samples of my eldest to see what is missing compared to the UK. They will then make a plan to hopefully get everything matching. The same process will have to be completed for the newborn too. It seems that the situation will be able to sort itself out (fingers crossed) but it will be a longer and more expensive process.